Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Known issues with GA-EP45-UD3P HW rev 1.6?

Default Re: Known issues with GA-EP45-UD3P HW rev 1.6?

This has me curious! You attempted to do what I thought about doing but decided not to. That is use an existing boot drive(s) with a new motherboard and chipset. For lack of a thorough technical explanation suffice it to say the bootloader got confused. So it blow up.

Since you can boot from CD into a flavor of Unix my suspicion is, at this point, the motherboard is not bad, however, the boot drive is the culprit here.

What you need to do to is format the drive(s), where you plan to install Win 7 on, into an unrecognizable format to the Win 7 installation, so that it will ask you to format those drives as NTFS or something it will recognize. It will lay down all new file system structures once that is done it will continue on with the installation.

What I used was a utility called Wipe that I downloaded from IBM's site back in the days when they still made hard drives. All it does is wipe out the disk structures. Total time about 30 seconds. I do it from a floopy on an external USB FDD. This a DOS boot disk with the Wipe utility stored on it. You can also use a Win98 install floppy to reformat that drive. You have to this to all the old boot drives you plan to use as new boot drives.

If you do not want to go old school. Buy a new hard drive or use an old non-boot drive to install Win 7 on. At this point things most likely will go much smoother for you.

Back in the day there was a rule of thumb, "You should remove all instances of an OS from a boot drive before migrating it to a new installation."

The best of luck to you!

Psycho101: thanks for your suggestion to not use the JMicron SATA ports. I got everything setup on the ICH10R ports, and it's working great now.

Excellent news. Glad you're up and running now.

I hate the JMicron ports with a vengeance. If possible, I'd recommend you disable them on the BIOS level. You could of course simply switch to the JMicron ports for your optical drive after installing Win 7 using the Intel ICH, there's generally no problems with JMicron ports and optical drives in Windows. The speed is sufficient too as a 16X DVD is only 21600kB/s and even the fastest DVD writers can only manage 22x which is 29700kB/s.

Note that this will mean having to swap again if you need to do a repair install etc. There can also be problems updating firmware using the JMicron ports. I encountered this issue when updating my Intel X25-M. When the update CD was in the optical on the JMicron controller the SSD was not detected. Switching to the last port of the ICH worked fine.

If you do decide to disable the JMicron ports for now, you'll save a couple of IRQ's and a littl boot time plus RAM from not having Windows load the drivers for them. The option is in Integrated peripherals and is called "Onboard IDE/SATA device" as a reference the Intel ICH settings are the top two options on the Integrated Peripherals screen and the JMicron settings are further down.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Yea I decided to completely disable the JMicron controller when doing the fresh Windows install to (hopefully) prevent any of these issues. Plus it saves boot time since that's 2 less SATA ports to scan for devices + less drivers to load in Windows. I also disabled the onboard parallel and serial port support since... well, who uses these devices still?

As a newcomer to this board (both the forum and the motherboard), what is the fix for the memory problems? My board will not let either slot one or three be used. I get the endless looping issues with that.

I'm a bit frustrated by being limited to two sticks of ram.

I've not received a reply from Gigabyte about this problem.

Thanks!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hathorlive View Post
    My board will not let either slot one or three be used. I get the endless looping issues with that.
    Even with only one stick of memory installed?

Quote Originally Posted by hathorlive
    I've not received a reply from Gigabyte about this problem.
    You probably will, they are just not that quick to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Even with only one stick of memory installed?
    I went back and only put in one stick of memory and the system was fine.
    It ran all night with no bluescreens or crashes. That's very strange.

What do I need to do to get another stick of ram going? I've read some of the posts on BIOS settings and had adjusted it. However, I cleared my CMOS last night before moving the ram and now I'm back to the defaults.

I'm using G.Skill 4 GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC@ 8500) ram.

You probably will, they are just not that quick to respond.
    Good point. I'll keep trudging along and hope that the advice from this board helps with the issues.

I appreciate your replies.
    Last edited by hathorlive; 01-28-2010 at 08:23 PM.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by hathorlive View Post
    What do I need to do to get another stick of ram going? I've read some of the posts on BIOS settings and had adjusted it. However, I cleared my CMOS last night before moving the ram and now I'm back to the defaults.

I'm using G.Skill 4 GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (PC@ 8500) ram.
    It would be better if you created a new thread.
    Describe what have you tried so far, what work and what doesn't.

I am not clear yet of wether you are abl to use 2 sticks in slots 2 & 4 but not in 1 & 3, or not being able to use 4 sticks of ram.
    Please provide the information desribed in steps 1, 2, & 4 of this post.

A good start may be to load optimzed defaults, and run memtest86+ for 6+ passes on each of the sticks individually in slot #1, then one stick in all other slost (or just slot #3 if you don't intend to use more than 2 sticks)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information