Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P and RAM troubles

Default Re: Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P and RAM troubles

Update:

I have not changed the cooler as yet but as I assumed it was stable at 1066 mhz I tried to play Crysis. The system crashed. I then ran prime95 again to be sure, and after around 20 - 30 min of prime95 the system would reset or crash.

I then tried to undervolt my processor to 1.24 V, which significantly reduced my max prime95 temp from 60C to 52C. Yet prime95 would still crash after 20-30 min of running.

I have now relaxed my ram timings to 9-9-9-24-33 2T, from the timings in my earlier post, and so far prime95 has been running for 1.5 hours and counting, with my CPU running at 1.24 volts ( temp currently between 53C - 54C). This seems to suggest an issue other than heat.

Any inputs to resolve this issue would be welcome! My target is 1333 mhz (which is the "stock" speed of my ram at 9-9-9-24-33 2T)

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jamovich; 01-13-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Good your going in the right direction. This may or may not help in this case. Sometimes you need to raise the cpu voltages. You do not want to though, if the temperetures are already high. It will increase them even more.
    When you lowered the cpu core voltage. Did you lower the CPU NB VID voltage the same? By lowering the CPU NB VID voltage it will lower the memory controller voltage in the cpu. This should help with the temperature some. A good heatsink and fan will help more. Again let us know how that goes.
    Other things on your to do list is run Memtest86+ ver.4.0 Its on the following link. Scroll down pick the download you prefer (gz or zip). This is an iso image so you need to burn the cd as an iso or image. Then boot up to the cd. Start concidering replacement memory. I really beleive that's the source of your issues.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 01-13-2010 at 11:56 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

I am beginning to believe so too. Crysis crashed again at 1066 mhz (after almost 2 hrs on prime95).

I downclocked to 800 mhz and it crashed at that speed too. This is totally unacceptable. Will try memtest.

Another thing which is interesting about the crashes (only with crysis) is that when I force reboot the system the GFX card does not re-initialize - the monitor remains in sleep mode. I need to switch off the PSU and wait 10 secs then reboot. After which it is normal.

It does not seem like it, but could the GFX be anything to do with the type of crashes I am experiencing?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jamovich; 01-13-2010 at 12:15 PM.

Update

I replaced my ram with one by G Skill (F3-10600CL9D-4GBNT) 2 sticks of 2 GB. I also replaced the stock cooling fan with a Coolermaster hyper 620N.

This SEEMS to have solved the problem. RAM is running at 1333 mhz (all settings manually set at 9-9-9-24, ram at 1.7 volts, HT at 1800), and went thru 12 hours of Prime95 successfully. I also managed to play 30 minutes of Crysis without incident. But there is still one thing that is not fine, and frankly I am at a total loss.

Sometimes Vista will freeze just before beginning to load right at the instant when it says "Copyright Microsoft Corporation", just before the moment when the small rectangular box (with the green icon that moves from left to right while Vista loads) comes on screen. If I reset the system it boots into Vista without trouble the second time. This is in spite of passing 12 hours of hard ram testing with prime95 and playing Crysis. The only other hardware change was that I switched to an ATI 5870. At this point I don't know what to think.

As a further test I just ran the windows memory diagnostic tool, and just after completing 2 passes without issue, again the system froze at the instant windows started to load (the point right when "copyright Microsoft Corporation" just begins to fade in.)

Upon reset, it loads without hesitation. This behavior is repeatable. When this freeze occurs (it does not happen every time vista loads), vista loads flawlessly after hard reboot.

Before I waste time trying, would reformatting help? Since this system has had to be hard reset so many times already would that have caused some essential files to become corrupted (CD repair did not detect anything wrong)?

Thanks
    Last edited by Jamovich; 01-22-2010 at 12:21 PM.

Well it seems that there is no problem. For some reason the system just takes a bit longer at that point to load. Since I have never experienced any lag during that phase of boot up with Vista I assumed it simply hanged because the C drive remains silent. It just takes about 30 secs to continue loading as normal. Odd but system is stable that is what is important.
    Last edited by Jamovich; 01-22-2010 at 07:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information