Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dolby Digital Live Broken in Vista/Windows 7 when XAudio2 API Used

Default Dolby Digital Live Broken in Vista/Windows 7 when XAudio2 API Used

Hi. I've been experiencing a problem with some games only outputting in stereo when Dolby Digital Live is active in Vista. I believe this is a driver bug. If someone reading this has a contact at Realtek, please forward this bug report on.

I've been finding that some games are not playing audio on the rear or center speakers when DDL is active. I tracked this down to an apparent problem with the Realtek driver.

The problematic games use the XAudio2 API. Microsoft has poised this as the replacement to DirectSound. (XAudio2 Introduction)

It seems that the Vista/W7 version of the Realtek Audio Driver tells any applications using XAudio2 that there are only two speakers connected. This causes the applications to ignore the rear, center and subwoofer speakers.

Here is a discussion about the issue by developers:
    XAudio2 recognizes Dolby Digital Live output format as Stereo - XNA Community Forums

The developers note that when DDL is active the XAudio2::GetDeviceDetails method reports that there are only two speakers. Attempting to ignore this and force use of more does not work because the API adheres to what the driver has told it.

This issue can be reproduced using the XAudio2Sound3D.exe sample that is included with the DirectX August 2009 SDK.

This problem does not occur in Windows XP. That driver correctly changes the speaker setting to 5.1 when DDL is activated.

Please ask the driver developers to take a look at this issue and put together a fix for a future driver update. As this API is set to replace DirectSound, this problem will only become worse as more and more games make use of it.

Unhappy Re: Dolby Digital Live Broken in Vista/Windows 7 when XAudio2 API Used

A bit disheartening to see that you got no reply to your post.

I am struggling with this problem myself; In my case, I am trying to get 3D surround sound in a XAudio2 game, Serious Sam 3. I have posted to the game forums, requested help from Gigabyte, Realtek and the Microsoft Answers site.

So far, no success. I did find a thread on the Microsoft Developer Network that would indicate the fault does not lie with Realtek or Gigabyte, however, but with Microsoft. The xaudio2_*.dll's do not correctly use the Dolby Digital output device.

Apparently they can be made to work perfectly by editing some hex values in the .dll's and the registry, but I don't know how to do that.

Default Re: Dolby Digital Live Broken in Vista/Windows 7 when XAudio2 API Used

What model of your mobo? BIOS, driver version and OS etc

Post Re: Dolby Digital Live Broken in Vista/Windows 7 when XAudio2 API Used

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Model Name : GA-Z68XP-UD3(rev. 1.0)
    --------------------------
    M/B Rev : 1.0
    BIOS Ver : F8
    Serial No. :
    Purchase Dealer :
    C/tick Number :
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    VGA Brand : AMD Model : Radeon HD 6950
    CPU Brand : Intel Model : i5 2500k Speed : 4.1 GHz
    Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP : 1
    Memory Brand : Corsair Type : DDR3
    Memory Size : 8 GB Speed : 1500 MHz
    Power Supply : 750 W

Realtek HD Audio Manager > Information
    Audio Driver Version : 6.0.1.6449
    DirectX Version : 11.0
    Audio Controller : HD Audio
    Audio Codec : ALC889
    Last edited by marco75; 05-10-2012 at 11:48 AM. Reason: additional information

Thread Information