Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    16

    Default Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Hello, I am interested in overclocking my i7 920 for a performance boost. I will be using very low RPM fans on my case and my Mugen 2 CPU cooler for a low noise level so I would be very happy with a 3.5-3.6Ghz overclock.

    CPU = i7 920 C0/C1
    Motherboard = GA-EX58-UD3R SLI, Revision 1.0
    BIOS Version = F6i
    Ram = OCZ, 3x1GB DDR3 1333 OCZ3P1333LV3GK. OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Low-Voltage Triple Channel 12GB Edition

    I just flashed the latest F6i bios and loaded the optimized defaults. I am looking for some safe voltages here, nothing extreme, I would like this chip to last a couple years.

    I appreciate your help!


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Birmingham,Great Britain
    Posts
    9,250

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock View Post
    Hello, I am interested in overclocking my i7 920 for a performance boost. I will be using very low RPM fans on my case and my Mugen 2 CPU cooler for a low noise level so I would be very happy with a 3.5-3.6Ghz overclock.

    CPU = i7 920 C0/C1
    Motherboard = GA-EX58-UD3R SLI, Revision 1.0
    BIOS Version = F6i
    Ram = OCZ, 3x1GB DDR3 1333 OCZ3P1333LV3GK. OCZ Technology | Products | Memory | OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Platinum Low-Voltage Triple Channel 12GB Edition

    I just flashed the latest F6i bios and loaded the optimized defaults. I am looking for some safe voltages here, nothing extreme, I would like this chip to last a couple years.

    I appreciate your help!
    use the template in my sig but with bclk 160 qpi voltage 1.35 and maybe a bit more cpu voltage,try cpu normal setting first though,and fill in all your ram settings according to your ram brand
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

    http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

    Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    use the template in my sig but with bclk 160 qpi voltage 1.35 and maybe a bit more cpu voltage,try cpu normal setting first though,and fill in all your ram settings according to your ram brand
    Thank you for the reply. I have a few questions.

    1. isn't 160bclk x 20 multi = 3.2Ghz? I was hoping for at least 3.5, unless you wanted me to start from the 3.2Ghz first and work from there? am i doing this wrong?

    2. After reading a few guides it seems 1.35 QPI voltage is a little high for these speeds? even in your template you had only 1.3 for a higher 3.6Ghz overclock. What gives?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Birmingham,Great Britain
    Posts
    9,250

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock View Post
    Thank you for the reply. I have a few questions.

    1. isn't 160bclk x 20 multi = 3.2Ghz? I was hoping for at least 3.5, unless you wanted me to start from the 3.2Ghz first and work from there? am i doing this wrong?

    2. After reading a few guides it seems 1.35 QPI voltage is a little high for these speeds? even in your template you had only 1.3 for a higher 3.6Ghz overclock. What gives?
    i dont know what you want to clock to for 3.6 set bclk to give you it,and the reason for 1.35 qpi is that you will need more for a c0 chip than a d0 chip,you can try with 1.3 to start,and your safe to use upto 1.5qpi voltage
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

    http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

    Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    i dont know what you want to clock to for 3.6 set bclk to give you it,and the reason for 1.35 qpi is that you will need more for a c0 chip than a d0 chip,you can try with 1.3 to start,and your safe to use upto 1.5qpi voltage
    Okay i followed your template with:

    Vcore: 1.29375 which is the normal setting in the bios. Booting into windows it shows with cpuz 1.264 idle and 1.232 loaded with prime95.
    QPI/VTT: 1.34
    DRAM: 1.66
    Bclk: 160 x 20 multi with turbo on = 3.360Ghz
    Ram is set 7-7-7-20 with a multi of 8 making it run at 1280.
    Uncore x16
    QPI link x36

    It boots. I ran prime95 blend for a while with no blue screens. I only stress tested for about 20 minutes though because I wanted to get a slightly higher overclock. Temperatures were 52,52,53,49.

    Then I tried:

    Vcore: 1.325
    QPI/VTT: 1.34
    DAM: 1.66
    Bclk: 172 x 20 multi with turbo = 3.612Ghz
    Ram: 7-7-7-20 with a multi of 6 making it run at 1032.
    Uncore x12
    QPI link x36

    With these settings the computer will not boot, it just keeps trying to boot and never gets to the bios in a never ending cycle. I have since reset the CMOS and reverted to the 3.36 settings until i can get further help.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
    Last edited by Overclock; 01-12-2010 at 10:40 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Birmingham,Great Britain
    Posts
    9,250

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock View Post
    Okay i followed your template with:

    Vcore: 1.29375 which is the normal setting in the bios. Booting into windows it shows with cpuz 1.264 idle and 1.232 loaded with prime95.
    QPI/VTT: 1.34
    DRAM: 1.66
    Bclk: 160 x 20 multi with turbo on = 3.360Ghz
    Ram is set 7-7-7-20 with a multi of 8 making it run at 1280.
    Uncore x16
    QPI link x36

    It boots. I ran prime95 blend for a while with no blue screens. I only stress tested for about 20 minutes though because I wanted to get a slightly higher overclock. Temperatures were 52,52,53,49.

    Then I tried:

    Vcore: 1.325
    QPI/VTT: 1.34
    DAM: 1.66
    Bclk: 172 x 20 multi with turbo = 3.612Ghz
    Ram: 7-7-7-20 with a multi of 6 making it run at 1032.
    Uncore x12
    QPI link x36

    With these settings the computer will not boot, it just keeps trying to boot and never gets to the bios in a never ending cycle. I have since reset the CMOS and reverted to the 3.36 settings until i can get further help.
    Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
    try with 1.28 cpu vcore,makesure system performance enhance is set to standard,you might need slightly looser ram timings with higher overclock try 8-8-8-20
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

    http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

    Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    try with 1.28 cpu vcore,makesure system performance enhance is set to standard,you might need slightly looser ram timings with higher overclock try 8-8-8-20
    Yes i made sure to set the performance enhance to standard. What I don't understand is the suggestion to loosen the ram. If it is stable at 7-7-7-20 at a speed of 1280 then why wouldn't it be stable at 7-7-7-20 at a speed of 1032?

    Also are you suggesting that I LOWER the Vcore down to 1.28 in the bios?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Birmingham,Great Britain
    Posts
    9,250

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock View Post
    Yes i made sure to set the performance enhance to standard. What I don't understand is the suggestion to loosen the ram. If it is stable at 7-7-7-20 at a speed of 1280 then why wouldn't it be stable at 7-7-7-20 at a speed of 1032?

    Also are you suggesting that I LOWER the Vcore down to 1.28 in the bios?
    are you at 3.6 ghz? was it stable at 1280mhz with 7-7-7-20 timings?if not try 8-8-8-20 try to lower cpu voltage as much as possible,my boards different on my normal cpu voltage setting its 1.18750v and im @3.8ghz on that voltage
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

    http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

    Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    16

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by wazza300 View Post
    are you at 3.6 ghz? was it stable at 1280mhz with 7-7-7-20 timings?if not try 8-8-8-20 try to lower cpu voltage as much as possible,my boards different on my normal cpu voltage setting its 1.18750v and im @3.8ghz on that voltage
    No i am currently at this:

    Vcore: 1.29375 which is the normal setting in the bios. Booting into windows it shows with cpuz 1.264 idle and 1.232 loaded with prime95.
    QPI/VTT: 1.34
    DRAM: 1.66
    Bclk: 160 x 20 multi with turbo on = 3.360Ghz
    Ram is set 7-7-7-20 with a multi of 8 making it run at 1280.
    Uncore x16
    QPI link x36

    It boots. I ran prime95 blend for a while with no blue screens. I only stress tested for about 20 minutes though because I wanted to get a slightly higher overclock. Temperatures were 52,52,53,49.

    It booted fine and ran prime95/vantage without a single bluescreen so i tried to bump it up to 3.6Ghz (the settings i tried are in my post above) but it just enters a never ending boot cycle.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Birmingham,Great Britain
    Posts
    9,250

    Default Re: Moderate overclock help please.(and thank you)

    Quote Originally Posted by Overclock View Post
    No i am currently at this:

    Vcore: 1.29375 which is the normal setting in the bios. Booting into windows it shows with cpuz 1.264 idle and 1.232 loaded with prime95.
    QPI/VTT: 1.34
    DRAM: 1.66
    Bclk: 160 x 20 multi with turbo on = 3.360Ghz
    Ram is set 7-7-7-20 with a multi of 8 making it run at 1280.
    Uncore x16
    QPI link x36

    It boots. I ran prime95 blend for a while with no blue screens. I only stress tested for about 20 minutes though because I wanted to get a slightly higher overclock. Temperatures were 52,52,53,49.

    It booted fine and ran prime95/vantage without a single bluescreen so i tried to bump it up to 3.6Ghz (the settings i tried are in my post above) but it just enters a never ending boot cycle.
    is c1e and eist enabbled in advanced cpu features? enable them to lower idle temps,thats why i said to loosen ram timings for 3.6ghz it may be too tight and looping,for 3.6 try with 1.3000 cpu v
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

    http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

    Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •