Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: help with overclocking on a Linux build

Default help with overclocking on a Linux build

Hi
    I have just purchased a Gigabyte ep45-ud3r version 1.1 motherboard which shipped with an F11 BIOS. I have installed a Intel Q9550 quad core processor, 2x 1GB Corsair 1066 MHz memory sticks, a EVGA Nvidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB video card, a Diablotek 650 watt power supply, a Seagate 500gb SATA hard drive, a Sony dvd drive and a Sony dvd burner which are both hooked up to the one ide cable. and a Sound blaster Audigy2 platinum sound card.

The operating system is Mepis Linux version 8.0.12 and runs fine except for one thing if I try to switch user's in KDE the machine just goes to a blank screen. I can live with this for now.

the front side buss of the CPU is only clocking at 266 MB in BIOS with the default auto setting. and after looking at the Gigabyte web page I see that the F3 BIOS is recommended for the Q9550. can I use my current BIOS to get this board up to speed or do I need to flash the BIOS?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: help with overclocking on a Linux build

F11 is newer than F3 and should support the CPU.
    Though it seems to have a problem, and does not set the CPU default FSB.
    Load optimized default, save and reboot. See if there's a change.
    Try to clear CMOS as explained in the second part of this post. A few hours or overnight if 20 seconds don't solve the problem. Load optimized defaults, save and reboot.

Default Re: help with overclocking on a Linux build

thanks for the help the link to the BIOS flashing may come in handy
    I tried loading optimized settings and now the front side bus is running at 333 MHz thanks again for your help!
    Looks like I wont need to flash BIOS
    Last edited by leeper69; 01-16-2010 at 02:05 PM. Reason: update after trying suggestions

Thread Information