Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I shorten BIOS POST time?

Default Re: How do I shorten BIOS POST time?

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Does that HDD still function OK? I assume it's the boot drive? Are you getting good performance and not hearing any strange noises/vibrations from the drive? If possible, install Windows on another drive, remove the drive with the error message and see if AHCI detection goes quicker.

I recommend downloading and running CrystalDiskInfo. This will give you a readout of SMART data along with a general idea of disk condition by indicating either "Good", "Warning" or "Danger".

Pay special attention to the things I've circled, but remember, all SMART values should indicate good ideally. A blue circle next to them means Good, Yellow or Red is not good, not good at all.
    24 seconds is too long to be waiting with only 4 devices. AHCI 1.07 is slow but should not be that slow.

See if there is a beta BIOS in the latest BIOS sticky thread. The latest AHCI (1.20E) is virtually instant when it comes to drive detection.
    I ran CrystalDiskInfo (see image below) and it looks OK.
    This drive in question is a storage drive, the boot drive is 3rd on the BIOS list. Should the boot drive be first or it doesn't matter?

By the way the storage drive is the fastest HDD in my system (108 MB/s seq write / 96 MB/sec seq read).

Quote Originally Posted by jojesa View Post
    I ran CrystalDiskInfo (see image below) and it looks OK.
    This drive in question is a storage drive, the boot drive is 3rd on the BIOS list. Should the boot drive be first or it doesn't matter?

By the way the storage drive is the fastest HDD in my system (108 MB/s seq write / 96 MB/sec seq read).
    set your boot drive as first in the boot list
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Any text at the bottom of each drive is a SMART error/warning. This may indicate the HDD could be about to fail or there may be a cable fault, settings error etc.

Does that HDD still function OK? I assume it's the boot drive? Are you getting good performance and not hearing any strange noises/vibrations from the drive? If possible, install Windows on another drive, remove the drive with the error message and see if AHCI detection goes quicker.

I recommend downloading and running CrystalDiskInfo. This will give you a readout of SMART data along with a general idea of disk condition by indicating either "Good", "Warning" or "Danger".

A picture of the screen you should see when running Crystal is here:

Pay special attention to the things I've circled, but remember, all SMART values should indicate good ideally. A blue circle next to them means Good, Yellow or Red is not good, not good at all.
    24 seconds is too long to be waiting with only 4 devices. AHCI 1.07 is slow but should not be that slow.

See if there is a beta BIOS in the latest BIOS sticky thread. The latest AHCI (1.20E) is virtually instant when it comes to drive detection.
    You can also use SpeedFan's "Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard drive" button on the S.M.A.R.T tab to get a report like this S.M.A.R.T. hard disk status and hard disk failure prevention fairly useful I'd say.

Yes, Speedfan will do this and it is useful indeed. :thubsup:

You can also use Crystal to perform a SMART disgnostic, either Quick, Full or Full with surface scan. It will generate a similar report which I believe is exportable to Excel (a function for IT professionals).
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by KayossZero View Post
    You can also use SpeedFan's "Perform an in-depth online analysis of this hard drive...fairly useful I'd say.
    Yes, Speedfan will do this and it is useful indeed. :thubsup:

You can also use Crystal to perform a SMART disgnostic, either Quick, Full or Full with surface scan. It will generate a similar report which I believe is exportable to Excel (a function for IT professionals).
    I do not have any issues with the HDD, I ran several tests including the one available from the manufacturer (SeaTools) and the hard drive is just fine.

I search online for that error "Init device parameter failed" and Gigabyte and I found other users with the exact same issue. It appears that if a HDD is connected to the first SATA port in AHCI mode that error shows. Some others are not able to boot.
    A couple of post talked about a BIOS F6d, which is not available anywhere but it supposed to fix the issue.

i searched for f6d bios,theres one but its in german (the extractor text)please makesure its the right one

heres a download link

2shared - download ep35ds4f6d.exe
    Last edited by wazza300; 01-17-2010 at 08:10 AM.
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ed1 is offline Member

After seeing this thread, I turned off (in the bios) these:

1. Gigabyte SATA (GSATA) controller - my drives are connected to Intel SATA ports
    2. USB 3.0 controller
    3. eSATA

My boot time (bios portion) dropped by about 12 seconds and my shutoff time dropped by 1 second. Previously boot time (bios portion) was 20 seconds after Gigabyte logo screen, now 8 seconds. Windows takes another 20 seconds to desktop. Shutoff time is now about 6 seconds.

This is on a UD7 board running Win7 64 on an SSD, 6GB RAM running at 1500Mhz, and i920 set to run at 3.150Mhz (150x20 plus turbo).
    Last edited by ed1; 01-17-2010 at 09:45 PM.

It may be that some have seen the error in the way you describe, but having the controller in AHCI and a drive on the first port is definitely not 100% the cause of this error. It seems to be drive dependant too. Ie some drives on AHCI SATA 0 report the error and other brands do not.

As long as you've checked the drive, any are happy with the results, you may well be experiencing some kind of bug/conflict.

I have had many a drive on port 0 in AHCI mode and never experienced this issue (with AHCI 1.07 etc) but it doesn't mean that some won't/don't.

On a side note, it may also be that swapping the drive used on that controller port may also work. It's not crucial but is quite strongly recommended to have the boot drive on the first SATA port, be it labeled Port 0 or Port 1. A single optical should really be attached to the last port. Sounds a bit petty but believe me, people have had issues with everything from data loss to failed Firmware flashes and Windows installs until configuring the ports this way.

If you fancy changing boot drives too, to find the fastest drive for your OS (Strongly recommended) then use CrystalDiskMark. Pay little attention to sequential speed and more to random 512K and 4K read and writes. Most OS and program loading is a hybrid of randoms and sequentials, so as long as the drive in question can handle about 85-90MB sequential read and 80MB/s write go for the drive with the fastest random throughput and you should notice some difference.

With my SSD's, the sequential performance degrades with use, but the OS and program loading is still as quick as ever.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

It may be that some have seen the error in the way you describe, but having the controller in AHCI and a drive on the first port is definitely not 100% the cause of this error. It seems to be drive dependant too. Ie some drives on AHCI SATA 0 report the error and other brands do not.

As long as you've checked the drive, any are happy with the results, you may well be experiencing some kind of bug/conflict.

I have had many a drive on port 0 in AHCI mode and never experienced this issue (with AHCI 1.07 etc) but it doesn't mean that some won't/don't.

On a side note, it may also be that swapping the drive used on that controller port may also work. It's not crucial but is quite strongly recommended to have the boot drive on the first SATA port, be it labeled Port 0 or Port 1. A single optical should really be attached to the last port.
    If I connect the boot disk (seagate 320GB) to the first SATA port 0 the system does not boot. I can see the drive listed on the AHCI list, but it doesn't appear in the BIOS, thus I cannot select it as the boot disk...

I was trying several scenarios and I found out that if I connect the boot drive by itself in any of the SATA ports in AHCI I cannot boot. Weird!!!! I have to connect my storage drive then it will boot. Weird!!!!

ed1 is offline Member

jojesa, just checking:

Are you connecting to the Gigabyte or the Intel SATA ports? If to the Gigabyte ports, are you sure they are turned on in the bios?

The bios has some options, I believe, regarding Gigabyte ports (controller) to be turned on and run in either IDE or SATA mode? Are those settings applicable and correct?

Are you sure you are not booting from the storage drive? Is there a prior Windows installation on it? Verify that your boot drive order is correct in the bios.

I had trouble booting from an SSD when I had previously moved the pagefile off of it to the storage drive. I had to first delete the pagefile file from the storage drive and then the SSD booted.

Just some ideas. . .
    Last edited by ed1; 01-19-2010 at 01:50 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information