Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How do I shorten BIOS POST time?

Default Re: How do I shorten BIOS POST time?

the reason the drive doesn't boot is because the OS boot fles have probably been placed on whichever drive was in the Port 0 position when you installed the OS. All other files will be on the OS drive as normal, but without the drive containing the boot loader in the system you'll get an invalid system disk error. The only way to correct this is to remove all but the boot drive, then install the OS with it connected to port 0 and add your storage drives back after the install is complete. As you discovered, adding the storage drive back in means there is a valid bootloader and Windows will start. This is definitely not an ideal situation to be in. It means that if your storage drive should fail you'll end up with a machine that can't boot.

In AHCI mode you won't find any HDD's listed in the BIOS. This is working as intended. In AHCI mode it's no longer the BIOS's job to detect and sort out HDD's and boot order, it's down to the AHCI BIOS. As far as the P|C is concerned, until the AHCI BIOS is run and detects the disks, there are no hard drives for the BIOS to see.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by ed1 View Post
    jojesa, just checking:

Are you connecting to the Gigabyte or the Intel SATA ports? If to the Gigabyte ports, are you sure they are turned on in the bios?

The bios has some options, I believe, regarding Gigabyte ports (controller) to be turned on and run in either IDE or SATA mode? Are those settings applicable and correct?

Are you sure you are not booting from the storage drive? Is there a prior Windows installation on it? Verify that your boot drive order is correct in the bios.

I had trouble booting from an SSD when I had previously moved the pagefile off of it to the storage drive. I had to first delete the pagefile file from the storage drive and then the SSD booted.

Just some ideas. . .
    Hi ed1,

Yes, I am using only the Intel SATA ports.
    Yes, the Gigabyte SATA ports are disabled.
    I have SATA AHCI enable

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    the reason the drive doesn't boot is because the OS boot fles have probably been placed on whichever drive was in the Port 0 position when you installed the OS. All other files will be on the OS drive as normal, but without the drive containing the boot loader in the system you'll get an invalid system disk error. The only way to correct this is to remove all but the boot drive, then install the OS with it connected to port 0 and add your storage drives back after the install is complete. As you discovered, adding the storage drive back in means there is a valid bootloader and Windows will start. This is definitely not an ideal situation to be in. It means that if your storage drive should fail you'll end up with a machine that can't boot.

In AHCI mode you won't find any HDD's listed in the BIOS. This is working as intended. In AHCI mode it's no longer the BIOS's job to detect and sort out HDD's and boot order, it's down to the AHCI BIOS. As far as the P|C is concerned, until the AHCI BIOS is run and detects the disks, there are no hard drives for the BIOS to see.
    Hi Psycho101,
    I updated the BIOS to F6d and everything is fine.
    I was thinking the same but when I installed Windows I did not have the storage drive.
    I know that the drives are not listed in the BIOS under Standard CMOS Features but they are still listed in the BIOS under Advanced BIOS Features where you can configure the device boot order (see image below). That's what I was referring before, I couldn't see the drives.
    Thanks for all your input

NOTE:
    I was living with this issues for several months, I didn't paid to much attention to the AHCI while booting, till I saw another system with a Gigabyte mobo going thru POST in 11 secs. After the BIOS update, it takes only 67 secs. for the whole system to boot, instead of 96 secs.

Hi wazza300,
    Thanks for finding the F6d BIOS, that solved my problem. It also cut 11 seconds during POST.

I got rid of the error but the BIOS still takes around 26 seconds in AHCI mode.
    It was kind ok (it was taking 16 secs.), until I connected the other HDD. Every hard drive I connect adds more time to the boot time in AHCI mode.

Acebmxer is offline Gigabyte Elite

yes because it scans each port separately i believe. so each drive you connect is gonna take that much longer to get throw that stage of booting.
    Main Rig
    Gigabyte z87x-OC
    Haswell i7 4770k - 4.7Ghz @ 1.330v LLC Extreme (L310B492)
    G.Skill F3-1700CL9D-8GBXM DDR3-2133mhz 9-11-10-28 1.65v @ 2800mhz 12-14-14-35 1.7v
    Samsung Green 8GB 2x4GB MV-3V4G3D/US DDR3 1.3v 30nn @ 2200Mhz 11-11-11-32 1.60v
    Sapphire ATI HD 7970 3GB clocked 1200MHz @ 1.181v.
    HiS ATI HD 6950
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot Drive) on Intel sata3 controller port0
    Corsair Force GT 120 GB Sata3 SSD on Intel sata3 controller port1
    Samsung 320GB HD322GJ 7200 RPM 16M cache on Intel sata3 controller port2
    Sony Optiarc DVD-RW AD-7240S on Intel sata3 controller port5
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX PSU
    Swiftech MCP655-B Pump
    EK Supremacy Cpu Block
    Swiftech Mcres Micro Rev 2 Reservoir
    Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360 Radiator

For me, AHCI 1.20E takes the same amount of time to detect a single HD|D as it does to detect my 4 + DVD. I currently have two Corsair X32 in RAID0, a single Intel X25-M and a WD Caviar Blue 640GB both in JBOD (Non RAID Members) and it takes approx 5-6 seconds to complete.

Have you tried disconnecting your DVD drive and seeing if AHCI completes quicker? Some SATA DVD/CD drives can cause issues with AHCI detection.

If all else fails I would recommend switching to IDE mode with Native mode enabled. From the looks of your drives you don't have any equipment that really benefits from NCQ. Those drives aren't fast enough for it to make a difference and the small difference it would make with even a 10K-14K RPM drive is only seen in a server environment with a lot of queued I/O. I ran AHCI when I had my X25 as the boot drive purely because it was fast enough to benefit, increasing speeds by around 5-8% in random read/write. A regular HDD is so slow that randoms are low even with NCQ on. It's like fitting a forced air induction kit and wide boared exhaust to a car. Fit the mods to a car generating 75BHP and you might get another 2-5BHP out of it. Fit them to a car that develops 250BHP and you might get another 20+ BHP. The car/HDD has to be a certain speed/power to benefit from additional help.

You will find detection in IDE mode to be virtually instant if you use Native mode as the BIOS will skip assigning IRQ's and let the OS do it.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    For me, AHCI 1.20E takes the same amount of time to detect a single HD|D as it does to detect my 4 + DVD. I currently have two Corsair X32 in RAID0, a single Intel X25-M and a WD Caviar Blue 640GB both in JBOD (Non RAID Members) and it takes approx 5-6 seconds to complete.

Have you tried disconnecting your DVD drive and seeing if AHCI completes quicker? Some SATA DVD/CD drives can cause issues with AHCI detection.

If all else fails I would recommend switching to IDE mode with Native mode enabled. From the looks of your drives you don't have any equipment that really benefits from NCQ. Those drives aren't fast enough for it to make a difference and the small difference it would make with even a 10K-14K RPM drive is only seen in a server environment with a lot of queued I/O. I ran AHCI when I had my X25 as the boot drive purely because it was fast enough to benefit, increasing speeds by around 5-8% in random read/write. A regular HDD is so slow that randoms are low even with NCQ on.

You will find detection in IDE mode to be virtually instant if you use Native mode as the BIOS will skip assigning IRQ's and let the OS do it.
    I think it should take the same time for one HDD as it does if there were three or at least a second or two.
    I disconnected the SATA DVD+RW drive but it did nothing, still takes the same time.
    I have a Corsair P128 SSD, and I thought it will be faster if I enabled AHCI.
    The BIOS takes the same time as Windows to load with the SSD.
    COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
    Corsair 620HX 620W PSU
    GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @3.0GHz
    Mushkin Enh Blackline 4GB (PC2 8500)
    Corsair P128 SSD / Seagate 320GB / Seagate 1TB
    MSI GeForce 8800GT 660MHz/1900MHz
    BenQ 20.1 FP202W LCD
    Samsung 20x DVD/RW DL LS
    Win 7 Ult. - Win XP Pro - SUSE 11.2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information