Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: with GA-MA770T-UD3P 150 GB WD Raptor can't be made bootable drive, works OK otherwise

Default with GA-MA770T-UD3P 150 GB WD Raptor can't be made bootable drive, works OK otherwise

Hello, I'm new to this forum... I looked around for several days for a solution to this problem, but couldn't find it, any help would be graetly appreciated...

Bought a new Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard and a Western Digital Raptor SATA 150 GB WD1500ADFD. I already had a Seagate Barracuda ST3250823A 250GB ATA100 drive, and a Seagate Barracuda ST3200823A 200GB ATA100 drive, which I wanted to use for data storage along withn the Raptor. The Power supply is a CoolMax AP-450X

The problem is that, when I installed Windows XP SP3 from the CD drive (a TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B), it installed onto the WD Raptor 150GB alright, but the drive showed up as "Drive E" in Windows, with the 200GB drive as "Drive C"

The system would not boot to Windows without the install CD in the drive, it just hung after the "boot from CD....." option, so I tried to re-install, but the Raptor won't boot at all now, the system just stops after "boot from CD....." The Raptor is always recognized by the BIOS, no problem there...

I've tried so many things to get the system to accept the Raptor as the bootabe C drive, but nothing changes the result.

This Raptor works fine as long as the OS is installed on any other IDE drive (I'm using the machine right now), but it just will not be set as the boot drive under any combination of work-arounds I can come up with. I'm starting to wonder if I've got a bad Raptor drive or motherboard.

I've tried re-installing the OS with only the Raptor connected, installing the SATA RAID drivers during install via "F6" key, re-ordering the drive boot priority in BIOS, pressing "F12" during boot to manually load the Raptor as boot volume, plugging the Raptor's SATA connector into different SATA ports on the MB, changing the power plugs between drives (including switching between the SATA power plug and the old standard plugs), switching out the CD drive for another older one for the install, re-installing the Northbridge/Southbridge drivers from the Motherboard driver CD, plus everything else I could think of...

Can anyone here think of what might be the problem? -- THX

Default Re: with GA-MA770T-UD3P 150 GB WD Raptor can't be made bootable drive, works OK other

look this raptor is so senstive
    make sure power supply is good enough for 2 hdd + raptor (alot of watt)
    make sure that its recognized in bios to start the installation
    delete all partions completley and when the blue screen of windows xp installtion come install windwos on raptor to show up in windwos "c"
    if its not recognized the raptop make sure sata cable working or power cord works????
    or change raptor sata port to another if its not sorry its raptor problem

Default Re: with GA-MA770T-UD3P 150 GB WD Raptor can't be made bootable drive, works OK other

I've tried re-installing the OS with only the Raptor connected, installing the SATA RAID drivers during install via "F6" key, re-ordering the drive boot priority in BIOS,
    Do not try to install RAID drivers VIA F6. A single hard drive cannot RAID.
    If you need to test the hard drive for Boot funtion. Perform a clean OS install. Do so without any other SATA drives connected. Go into bios and set it to Load Optimized Defaults first. Save and restart. Afterwards be sure BIOS is set as follows:
    Code:
    Integrated Peripherals
    OnChip IDE Channel [Enabled]
    Onboard 1394 Function [Enabled]
    Onboard LAN Function [Enabled]
    Onboard LAN Boot ROM [Disabled]
     SMART LAN [Press Enter]
    OnChip SATA Controller [Enabled]
    OnChip SATA Type [Native IDE]
    x OnChip SATA Port4/5 Type IDE
    Onboard Audio Function [Enabled]
    OnChip USB Controller [Enabled]
    USB EHCI Controller [Enabled]
    USB Keyboard Support [Enabled]
    USB Mouse Support [Disabled]
    Legacy USB storage detect [Enabled]
    Onboard Serial Port 1 [3F8/IRQ4]
    Onboard Parallel Port [378/IRQ7]
    Parallel Port Mode [SPP]
    x ECP Mode Use DMA 3
    Also if you have 2 hard drives that are bootable you must set the Boot priority.
    Code:
    Advanced BIOS Features
    Virtualization [Disabled]
    AMD K8 Cool&Quiet control [Auto]
     Hard Disk Boot Priority [Press Enter]
    First Boot Device [Floppy]
    Second Boot Device [Hard Disk]
    Third Boot Device [CDROM]
    Password Check [Setup]
    HDD S.M.A.R.T. Capability [Disabled]
    Away Mode [Disabled]
    Full Screen LOGO Show [Enabled]
    Backup BIOS Image to HDD [Enabled]
    Init Display First [PCI Slot]
    I hope this helps. Let us know.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 01-25-2010 at 06:49 AM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer, I've been building my own systems for over ten years, and this one had me stumped. I posted the question at another forum also, and recieved an answer that helped me resolve the problem.

///////////////////////////

The answer posted on the other forum:

Sounds to me like you have a 'broken' MBR (master boot record)
    Master boot record - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    These may help:
    XP: Repair or fix master boot record using recovery console | Windows installation | Tech-Recipes [...] y_console/
    FDISK /MBR rewrites the Master Boot Record

I use a muti-boot utility, BootIt_NG, from Terabyte:
    http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/b [...] ration.htm
    that allows you to rewrite MBRs on a 'per-boot' basis, and it's very powerful, but I have never found a cure for the 'drive letter other than C' problem when installing Xp to any other place than the first physical drive - so I've wound up simply always installing it there... I boot nine OSs (and am considering adding Leopard) off two RAID0 pair of Velociraptors, and this is a problem for no other OS - Vista and Seven can assign 'C' wherever I want, but Xp - never!

///////////////////////////

I'll describe what steps I took in case anyone else might find it helpful:

1. Removed all other hard drives except for 150 Gig Raptor.

2. Performed low level format on the 150 Gig Raptor using Windows XP install disk. A low-level format must re-write the master boot record, as the stopping at "boot from CD....." did not return.

3. XP went ahead and installed OK (automatically, I didn't catch it) but wouldn't accept the Raptor as primary boot volume if any other HDD was added (a bug in XP not installing anywhere but on the first physical drive, as you mentioned). This GA-MA770T-UD3P Motherboard's BIOS is set up to start counting drives starting with IDE, then moving to SATA devices.

3. Installed Windows 7, overwriting XP install.

4. Added the additional HDDs back in--system now works perfect.

Thanks again to everyone for the help and support

Thread Information