Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EP45T-DS3R 2x2GB DDR3 Issue

Default GA-EP45T-DS3R 2x2GB DDR3 Issue

Specs:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-EP45T-DS3R
    BIOS Version: F3
    Graphics Card: Gigabyte: Nvidia GeForce 9600GT

Memory: 2 x 2GB Corsair DDR3 1.5volt RAM.
    Model number written on ram chip: CMV4GX3M2A1333C9

Description of Problem:

System is unstable when both DIMMS are used... slot 1 and slot 3 are the slots i use. I've tried 2 and 4 as well.

The problem is quite random, sometimes windows will blue screen when installing; 32bit windows seems to have less of an issue than 64bit; windows will crash when copying files, etc... there are lots of little things.

If I use only 1 DIMM, ie. 2GB in slot 1, my system runs fine with no issues.

Experiment:
    I have managed to find a definite test that works everytime to point out the issue:
    Running a burn-in test with BurnInTest Pro on 2D Graphics generates errors.
    If I run this test with only 1 DIMM it works perfect.

Solution:
    I have seen similar posts about my motherboard with the same issue, and the solution was to modify BIOS settings.
    But, the posts are about different RAM than what I have so I have had to try and work out what my settings should be.

After lots of modification I have not been able to fix my problem.

Does anyone know a way around my problem, eg. what my bios settings should be?

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA-EP45T-DS3R 2x2GB DDR3 Issue

HAve you tried to run memtest86+?

Load BIOS Optimized-Defaults first, save & reboot, enter BIOS again, make any changes you made like disk boot order
    then in BIOS M.I.T set:
    Performance Enhance standard
    MCH Core 1.2-1.24v (start low, increase only if needed,) if this doesn't help try 1.05-0.95v

Can you please post a screen capture of MemSet main(click >>) and SPD(click spd) screens?

MemSet and memtest86+ can be download it fron http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...30/#post284762

As I have this board I can make a couple comments that may help you out. First of all, either downgrade the bios to F2 or upgrade to F4c. Ram is WAY more stable in both of those. Second of all, this board is VERY picky about memory, I replaced my first set of memory because of it. I ended up replacing it with these:
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ - Desktop Memory

thirdly, do not attempt to over-volt the memory in F4c, it just crashes (tested with multiple kinds of memory). If it doesn't work just underclock the memory. I recommend at least attempting running the memory as 1066 to see if it becomes more stable.
    <div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs><div_prefs id="div_prefs"></div_prefs>

Thanks for the replies to my thread.
    In this post I respond to both Chike and rumblpak.

Chike:
    I downloaded memtest86+ iso and booted off it... I let it go up to 80% and there were no errors... I'll let it run overnight tonight and give you an update on this.

I loaded optimized defaults, and set the Performance Enhance mode to standard.

My MCH Core on auto is set at 1.1.
    I set it to 0.95, 1.05, and 1.2, but the issue still occurs for all three.

Memset Screen Shots:
    2x2GB 1333MHz DDR3 1.5v - CMV4GX3M2A1333C9
    Imageshack - memset2x2gbx1333mhz.png
    The SPD part of the picture shows DIMM1. DIMM3 is also selectable in memset, and shows the same values as DIMM1.

I have 2x1GB 1600 DDR3 RAM which is what I used to run... This automatically gets clocked down to 1066MHz... This RAM works fine with no issues.
    I took memset screen shots of it:
    2x1GB 1600MHz DDR3 - Autodetect sets it to run at 1066MHz
    Imageshack - memset2x1gbx1600mhz.png

rumblpak:
    I tried both F2 and F4C bios as you suggested, but all suffer from the issue. F4C is my current BIOS now.

I clocked the ram to 1066, but the issue still occurs. I also tried clocking it to 800, but still the same issue.

The 2x1GB 1600 DDR3 RAM, that I ran before, doesn't suffer from the same problem.

Extra Info:
    I took some screen shots of the burnin test I am using:
    http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7...2dgraphics.png
    These screenshots are from tests run with the 2x2GB RAM...
    If only 1 stick of the 2GB RAM is used, then the tests run successfully.
    Running the tests with the 2x1GB sticks is successful too.

I also took screenshots of the settings bios automatically detects for the 2x2GB RAM:
    Imageshack - bios1.jpg
    Imageshack - bios2s.jpg
    Imageshack - bios3.jpg

Chike is offline Senior Member

Try more MCH Core, up to 1.24-1.26v.
    Check PC Health or EasyTune -> HW Monitor tab for applied memory voltage. I'd consult Corsair support before attempting to increase DRAM Voltage as it's a value ram and have no heat spreader.
    memtest86+ won't always find errors that only surface under heavy memory load. if it comes up with no errors, try running your test with one stick at a time.

Thanks Chike...

I think I'll chalk this one up to experience and make sure I buy RAM that is on the compatibility list...

I'll go along with rumblpak's recommendation and buy that RAM or something.

It's just really annoying because I just purchased this RAM...

I guess we live and learn... bloody DDR3 gigabyte issues!!!!!!

Thread Information