Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GigaByte AM3 Boards LAG/Crawl when booting with MS-AHCI drivers

Default Re: GigaByte AM3 Boards LAG/Crawl when booting with MS-AHCI drivers

Hi,

Gigabyte sent to me answer:
    "Thank you for supporting GIGABYTE products. As to the question you asked, you could download the latest AHCI driver your product need from our website and try again later. CLICK HERE. Sorry if there is any inconvenience."

Nice, but I couldn't find driver involved. There is a preinstall AHCI driver from 2009 May and chipset driver from 2009 Dec.
    It would take more than a little favor to call these drivers "latest".

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Sorry, I am not familiar with AMD so not sure which you would need, but I do know where to find the latest ones.

Latest AMD Drivers are here

Chipset
    Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Catalyst, separate components, and RAID drivers
    Drivers & Support | GAME.AMD.COM

Tru. I have put toghther a few systems with gigabyte boards and this has been the problem for me in every case i built an amd based system. The latest system build I did was yesterday for my coworker and got him a corsair F60 SSD and it was pathetic that using AHCI added about 30-40 seconds extra to the boot time. I mean it has been long enough that Gigabyte should have fixed this issue but I guess they think every user just goes by default setting which is ide mode. They could easily fix this with giving an option in the bios that involves sata timeout as I have heard this fixes this problem with asus boards in one of the threads online. When I did bench the ssd it got about 50mb/s more per second then ide mode. But there is no SATA timeout option as I have seen it in some boards and they are usually set to 30-35 seconds.

But It will be hard to explain to my friend why his super fast ssd takes epically long to boot the system so I left the system in ide mode.

Although the boards are stable but I will never personally buy a gigabyte AM3 based board, I am building a 1090T based system soon and I already got a good deal on Agility 2 ssd and I am not about to use it in ide mode and loose performance.

Some people would say it is not noticeble but no one buys sandforce based ssd just to be limited by the board.

I did use the latest bios from gigbayte's website for the system, but issue was still present. I am leaning towards msi 890FXA-GD70

use the AMD AHCI driver and you boot (now) in 35 seconds to win7 log-on screen and it's not SSD!

The driver improved nicely
    GA-FXA990-UD3v4
    AMD FX-8320
    Kingston 2x4GB 1866 HyperX
    Gigabyte R6850C-1GB
    1x WD Blue 1TB / 1x SSHD 1TB Seagate
    Win7x64

well I was just mentioning it about ssd's I would like to get trim support with only ms-ahci driver supports it.

If it is not ssd it doesn't really matter, ide mode is good enough for that.

I might be wrong, is it true that the latest amd ahci driver has trim support? I was reading up a thread elsewhere where it says the 8.71 driver from amd has trim support.
    Last edited by nkd; 07-28-2010 at 01:52 PM.

The latest AMD AHCI driver does not have TRIM capability. I find that the MS AHCI driver works nearly as well as the AMD driver in Windows 7 on my MA785GMT-UD2H. I have no boot issues at all.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information