Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GigaByte AM3 Boards LAG/Crawl when booting with MS-AHCI drivers

Default GigaByte AM3 Boards LAG/Crawl when booting with MS-AHCI drivers

Recently I purchased an Intel X25-M G2 to go along with my Gigabyte 790FXTA-UD5. Because of the fact that only MS-AHCI drivers are capable of passing trim along to the Intel drive I have no choice but to use them.
    There seems to be a serious problem with some Gigabyte boards. When I goggled this issue what surprised me was that 90% of the people who had the same problem as me, all had Gigabyte Boards.

Here is the exact problem:

When the system boots to Windows 7 upon reaching the splash-screen(windows boot screen) it hangs for 40 sec while the windows logo pulsates. It makes no difference weather it's I use a standard HDD or a fresh install of windows or weather I have only one primary drive attached.
    When booting into IDE mode or using the ATI AHCI driver it boots instantly, there is no delay, I only see the windows logo/boot screen for 3 seconds. I know of other people who use the MS-AHCI drivers on different board manufactures who do not experience this problem. So it seems to be mostly isolated with those running Gigabyte boards. I am assuming that this is a gigabyte Bios issue than can hopefully be fixed. Maybe this has to do with the AHCI ROM bios. I know Gigabyte with there past Intel boards had a huge delay with there AHCI rom initialization and booting in AHCI.

If anyone can please shed some light on this issue I would be eternally grateful as would the many others dealing with this problem.

Also does anyone know what the best course of action would be to inform Gigabyte of this issue in hopes of them looking into this this and getting a fix.

Default Re: GigaByte AM3 Boards LAG/Crawl when booting with MS-AHCI drivers

I can confirm this. GA-770TA-UD3 with SSDSA2MH080G2R, using MS AHCI driver.

The question is what can be done to resolve this issue, Everywhere I ask nobody has a clue.

lol, I love the top quality support provided by Gigabyte.

It's the Microsoft AHCI driver! - once you use the correct "chipset" AHCI driver the problem goes away. At least it is here on my AMD box

what can be done? Gigabyte know or they have to find out - as long as the problem can be fixed with the appropriate driver there is no real issue.
    Last edited by PhenomII Dude; 02-03-2010 at 04:59 PM.
    GA-FXA990-UD3v4
    AMD FX-8320
    Kingston 2x4GB 1866 HyperX
    Gigabyte R6850C-1GB
    1x WD Blue 1TB / 1x SSHD 1TB Seagate
    Win7x64

I am using the correct driver for AHCI. Nothing wrong with MS-AHCI, works fine on Intel boards as well as other AMD platforms. MS-AHCI is needed in order to pass the trim commands along to the SSD. ATI AHCI can't do this.

Plus this is a Gigabyte issue, as I mentioned earlier many people experiencing this problem all have the Gigabyte boards. My roommates MSI GD70 790fx board does not suffer from this issue when using the MS-AHCI drivers.

Yeah this is really frustrating. I'll have to wait ONE minute each time at startup, and one of the reasons I bought this expensive Intel SSD is to have a fast startup time!

I also find it too risky to try any AMD AHCI driver; Windows 7 keeps telling me it can't guarantee the driver will work if I select it, and from my recent experience of Windows not booting anymore in AHCI mode when switching drivers I'm scared to try it...
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B | Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 | OCZ OCZ3G1600LV4GK (4GB) | Club3D HD5850 | Intel SSDSA2MH080G2R5 (80GB) | Corsair TX650W

Just use IDE mode and the problem is fixed for you, jelbo!
    GA-FXA990-UD3v4
    AMD FX-8320
    Gigabyte R6850C-1GB
    Win7x64

I'm back to IDE mode and my pc boots to the Win7x64 logon screen in 30 secs now. Still pretty long for an SSD no?
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition | Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B | Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 | OCZ OCZ3G1600LV4GK (4GB) | Club3D HD5850 | Intel SSDSA2MH080G2R5 (80GB) | Corsair TX650W

No, a hdd takes longer ~45s for me
    GA-FXA990-UD3v4
    AMD FX-8320
    Gigabyte R6850C-1GB
    Win7x64

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information