Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X48-DS5 crash, core2-duo 2.66GHz

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: X48-DS5 crash, core2-duo 2.66GHz

Is it the CPU ehatsink you have re-applied the thermal compound to?
    Yes there shouldn't be much, the compound is just to fill the micronic gaps where metal does not touch metal. Not too little as well though.

Maybe there just not enough airflow inside the case, with 22c ambiant my system temp is 34c idle, CPU 28c and core temps ~40c (but aftermarket HS).

No I don't think MCH put more strees on the CPU, not at stock settings anyway.

Don't worry, I put paste but enough so that it wouldn't leak around the heatsink. When I removed the heatsink to clean it, there was a ring of think paste; this time there should be a thin one if any.

Ran memory tests and they passed... But Prime95 failed during the night. Unfortunately, I forgot to disable power saving features and monitors were in standby... :-/). Going to do it again tonight.

That's another thing I always wondered about this architecture. The power supply is creating a suction right above the heatsink while the heatsink tries to push air on the CPU. There isn't much air to push when you have a depression right above.

I would have put the CPU more on the floor and the expansion slots high up but looks like the good old IBM PC architecture is sticking around.

I have space to put a 120mm fan right below the power supply but then again, the power supply is going to eat all the supplied air. Putting a 120mm fan on the front of the PC will cool down my hdd but that's about it (although it would create an airflow).

The case is equipped with a kind of tunnel on the side that extends to the heatsink (but of course, it does not go all the way). Maybe I could put a fan in its place...

My systems seems warmer than yours. Are temperatures given by the bios correct? The thermometer seemed to indicate higher temperatures than detected by the bios. I am trying this software I keep forgetting the name to keep track of if in windows. Temperature given by this software are always higher (50oC and more); maybe I should try EasyTune again but I've never been able to have it working (Windows 7 x64); it fails with some error that it can't fire up some DLL or something.

tcn
    Last edited by tcn; 02-11-2010 at 08:26 PM. Reason: forgot comments on the reply

Chike is offline Senior Member

Hmmmm you don't have an exhust back fan? It's a must.
    The idea is there will be a constant air flow coming from the front and side over all components. The PSU fan is not enough, and just get fresh air from the back opening leaving other parts without cooling.

In my system I have a 120mm 90CFM back exhust fan, and 2 low RPM front and side intake fans.

I think you can have the tunnel(sleeve?) and a fan if it's like mine, check the link in my sig, though I had to remove it because of the Mogen 2.
    The tunnel would be fine without fan, and if you can install a side fan to cool around the NB that may help too as well as front fan if possible.

My power supply is a Corsair 750W with a 14cm fan inside (no fan exhaust outside). I thought it would be sufficent... I'll put two more fans as you suggest; one 12cm in the back to increase exhaust and one 12cm in the front for intake. I'll monitor temperature afterwards.

tcn.

Hi Chike,

My system is stable now. I got my two 12cm fans running at a very low speed (800rpm) and doing the job just fine.

I am still waiting for my side 92mm pwm fan that I will put wither under the sleeve or without the sleeve (I am thinking of leaving it there to bring the air closer to the CPU and northbridge).

I'm also thinking about replacing the stock Intel heatsink if I ever have problems this summer. For now, I'll stick with the fans and see how it goes.

The BIOS and EasyTune5 are very different in terms of temperature readings. Bios gives a 38-39 while EasyTune gives something like 20-22.

The important thing is that I have a stable system now. Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it!

tcn

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information