Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-X58A-UD3R Questions

Default GA-X58A-UD3R Questions

A few questions,

I'm a little unsure about how the PCIe slots work with this board. If both the new sata 3.0 6gbs and usb 3.0 are turned on, will the two x16 slots both work at the full 16 for for a two card crossfire/sli? If a three card cf/sli is used, will it be x16 x16 x8 with the new sata and usb turned on?

Also, will you be able to boot from an ssd using the sata 3.0 6gb? I heard that this does not work at present but a bios update may enable this in the future? Anyone have any info on this?

Lastly, the approved memory list at Gigabyte does not list any 1600 or 1333 memory. I assume that most DDR3 1600 and 1333 will work, but I hate to buy the odd brand/model that doesn't. Can anyone confirm any specific ram that they are running successfully with this board?

Thanks. This seems like a great board but I'd like to get the above questions answered before I buy.

Default Re: GA-X58A-UD3R Questions

I'm not too familiar with the board, but there's basically no reason reason really to connect a SATA2 SSD to the SATA3 ports, you'll get the best performance formt he SSD by connecting it to the Intel ICH10R ports.

If you use 3 or more video cards afaik all the slots are turned into 8x slots. I'm not sure but I doubt that the USB 3.0 and SATA3 chips are connected to the X58 chip, I think they'll be connected to the ICH10R (because the board has 4 PCI-E 2.0 16x slots). A quick Google search did not turn up any useful info on this unfortunately.

For RAM I'd suggest doing searches on this and other forums with the boards name, you can see what other people are running then.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    I'm not too familiar with the board, but there's basically no reason reason really to connect a SATA2 SSD to the SATA3 ports, you'll get the best performance formt he SSD by connecting it to the Intel ICH10R ports.

If you use 3 or more video cards afaik all the slots are turned into 8x slots. I'm not sure but I doubt that the USB 3.0 and SATA3 chips are connected to the X58 chip, I think they'll be connected to the ICH10R (because the board has 4 PCI-E 2.0 16x slots). A quick Google search did not turn up any useful info on this unfortunately.

For RAM I'd suggest doing searches on this and other forums with the boards name, you can see what other people are running then.
    Sorry I was not clear, I'm looking forward to the next generation of SSDs which will be Sata 3.0 enabled. I saw a news item the other day that Sata 3.0 SSDs are already being introduced in Japan. These new SSDs will be able to take advantage of the higher speed of the new standard.

So obviously one who is buying a Sata 3.0 board might be interested in one of the new SSDs when they become available. And would want to use one as a boot drive.

I've seen talk on some boards that the x58a-ud3r can't boot from the sata 3 port and I was hoping someone on this board might be able to confirm or deny that.

Thanks

Well SATA2 only limits you when using very large files. I doubt you'll see a noticeable difference between SATA2 and SATA3 when using a SSD with one of the new Marvel controllers that support SATA3. When an applciation is loading many small files are read and written and you're not getting anywhere near the 300MB/s then anyway.

The important part about SSD performance is that it's much faster with random small file accesses, not that they've got super high sequential transfer rates, which occur rarely anyway.

Read up on the SSD articles on Anandtech to better understand what's important and why maximum bandwidth doesn't matter much.
    Last edited by Nickel020; 02-14-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Thread Information