Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: RAID config, GA-P55-UD5

Default RAID config, GA-P55-UD5

Hi all,
    I have a GA-P55-UD5 motherboard and I would like to switch some drives into a RAID 1 array. Would like C: SSD (no RAID), D: RAID, E: hard drive (no RAID), F: hard drive (no RAID), G: DVD. This is with Windows 7 Ultimate 64.

I started through the process in the manual by setting the Intel controller to RAID but when I started the configuration process (Ctrl I) it wasn't clear that I was going to be able to select just the two drives for the array and not mess up the C: drive (which has stuff on it I don't want to loose...). Is it possible to have both RAID and non-RAID drives on the Intel controller? If not, can I put the SSD on the GigaByte controller (or is the JMB controller better?), RAID on Intel and still boot from the SSD? Eventually I will also want to put the other two hard drives into a RAID 1 (GigaByte or JMB best for RAID?).

Also, with Win 7 and/or since the RAID won't be my boot drive, do I need to create a driver floppy?

Thanks,
    Eric
    Last edited by EricE; 02-12-2010 at 12:44 PM.

Default Re: RAID config, GA-P55-UD5

Hi all,
    So to answer my own questions for future searchers..

You can have non RAID drives on the Intel controller.

You can select which drives on the controller to put in to a RAID

Not sure about the other questions related to RAID on the GigaByte and JMB controllers

Not sure if you have to use the floppy with drivers, I tried multiple versions and keep getting blue screens when loading Windows then found this:

Error message when you start a Windows 7-based computer after you attach a RAID disk: "STOP 0x0000007B INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE"

Now I'm happily initializing the array, may not have needed to load the drivers, worth trying just the KB fix and go with the Intel software, I used 9.5.6.1001 from intel drivers pour Raid/Sata/Ata/Ahci

Was doing this with Windows already loaded on the boot drive vs. as part of the Windows 7 install process.

Eric

Question Re: RAID config, GA-P55-UD5

Hi EricE
    I'm looking at using an SSD on a P55 board, have you experienced any problems with the SSD being throttled by the motherboard? I'm just wondering whether to go for a 6Gb/s Sata port board instead.
    Thanks for any info, hope you're enjoying your SSD RAID array!

Tim

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Do you guys still need help here? Sounds like the OP is all in running order.

KingTim, I think you will be fine with one SSD the Intel Chipset will not bottleneck until around 500-550 MB/s I believe

Maybe it's just a problem with the boards I'm looking at then...
    I was going for a GA-P55-UD5
    There were reviews that were saying that neither the GA-P55 or ASUS p7p55d boards were getting full read burst speads on even a velociraptor drive, I'll dig out those comparisons and have a re-read.

Here it was:
    Gigabyte's GA-P55M-UD4 and MSI's P55M-GD45 motherboards compared - The Tech Report - Page 6

I was wrong that the Asus is said to be able to utilise the velociraptor's potential, but surely an SSD would still be limited by even that?

The X58 boards on that compare are right up there but the P55-UD6 (which is the closest to my planned UD5) seems significantly hindered.

"Neither Gigabyte nor MSI seems to have figured out how to get the P55's SATA burst speeds up to par. Thus far, only Asus has the VelociRaptor we use for these tests bursting at its full potential."

Might just be being over-worried and I'd still be getting a performance increase from an SSD... but that review made me wonder
    Last edited by KingTim; 03-22-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That article is fairly old, were P55 boards even released then yet?

I have not seen anyone with issues using SSD and P55, of course I have not looked at burst speed in most cases though, but if it were an issues I am sure I would notice people complaining.

Thread Information