Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cannot update BIOS

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Cannot update BIOS

What is the BIOS file name you are trying to flash?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    What is the BIOS file name you are trying to flash?

k8nsu939.11k

I tried the other versions as well, but same issue. It gives me "Bios ID Error" message.

One weird thing I noticed. When the comp first turns on, the screen gives the info like mobo name, cpu name, hard drives connected and memory.

It says that my current BIOS Version is F5. The date of the bios is given as 7/15/2005. I checked on the Gigabyte Website for my mobo bios, and the BIOS F5 date is listed as 2004/12/22. The BIOS listed under the date 7/15/2005 is supposedly F7.

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=1839

GA-K8NS-939 has BIOS vers. F5 dated 2005/07/15.
    Are you sure of the MB model? It should also show on POST screen left to the BIOS version.

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz201 View Post
    I am still puzzled why I am unable to update the bios through the DOS. I followed the instructions on these forums. Created a bootable USB drive with the HP program. I put the bios file and the dos program on the usb drive. In bios I changed the boot priority to usb drive as #1. Everything boots up fine and I get to the gigabyte flash utility after the windows 98 screen.

The new bios file on the usb drive is recognized by the utility. I press enter to install it and it gives me "Bios ID Error" message. This is the closest I've come.
    I see that you are trying the DOS method to update your BIOS. What happens if you extract your file to USB without the extra win 98 boot files and then press "end" while booting or delete to get to the BIOS and then F8 to get in to Qflash? can you see the Qflash? please tell us what it says on screen? Did you need to use winrar to extract the BIOS file? or was it just a windows extraction file? was the extracted file 1MB? Have you tried putting USB device to boot to before your hard drive??
    Also there is another option on my board that allows me to specify what I want to boot to Its the F12 key I believe and I tap it while I am booting.
    Now to get in to Q Flash there are two methods 1 is tap the "end" key while booting 2 is to tap delete then while in BIOS the F8 key.
    You stated your version of Qflash earlier mine is "Qflash Utility v. 2.06" I am using BIOS v F10 on this board. Your QFlash utility may change if you update your BIOS so please note what version you are running now. Also note that the instructions from Gigabyte say to not try to jump too many BIOS versions while you flash. Example if you are at F4 and need F11d then flash to F6 then F8 then F10 then F11d you see? There are different versions on gigabytes website, (sorry if I repeat some of the info I am trying to be sure everyone reading this is clear)
    Update regarding your manual, these manuals are written to cover two models sometimes, so be sure you have the right model number.
    Can you afford to buy a USB floppy or a regular Floppy drive this may be the best hope of flashing your board.
    Also try enabling "boot up Floppy seek"

More later Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-15-2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: add info
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

GA-K8NS-939 has BIOS vers. F5 dated 2005/07/15.
    Are you sure of the MB model? It should also show on POST screen left to the BIOS version.

Now I am totally confused! My mobo is GA-K8NS Ultra. I am sure about this. I still have the manual and the box. But now I noticed Bios recognized it as GA-K8NS..... whats going on here? I think the mobo might have been incorrectly flashed before I bought it

Check the print on the MB itself, could be that you got a K8NS in the ultra box?
    Weird things do happen.
    Or maybe someone forced K8NS BIOS flash on the MB and it somehow work?

Check the print on the MB itself, could be that you got a K8NS in the ultra box?
    Weird things do happen.
    Or maybe someone forced K8NS BIOS flash on the MB and it somehow work?

I just checked the motherboard to make sure. I looked on the motherboard itself and it is indeed a GA-K8NS Ultra. This is probably where the problem is. The mobo somehow was previously flashed with the bios for the non-ultra version, therefore I cannot flash it with the correct bios. What can I do now?

I know very little about BIOS flashing and don't want to give you any advise that make ruin your MB.
    Wait for more experianced user that may know more about this, and/or contact GB support and ask them.

I know very little about BIOS flashing and don't want to give you any advise that make ruin your MB.
    Wait for more experianced user that may know more about this, and/or contact GB support and ask them.
    Thanks for your help regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz201 View Post
    Thanks for your help regardless.
    You are very welcome, hope you get it sorted soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information