Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cannot update BIOS

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Default Re: Cannot update BIOS

Hi sorry about your findings I guess I will agree with chike and say that you should contact Gigabyte support. It sounds like you have a abnormal problem here. Although I would have given a USB floppy one last shot but its your board and, in the end, the decision lies with you. If it is a newish board then you might check to see if its still under warranty. If it is not under warranty then its on you and you will have to replace the board using your money. Again, I am sorry that you are having these problems and I hope you get a resolution soon.
    Max out
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax2911 View Post
    Hi sorry about your findings I guess I will agree with chike and say that you should contact Gigabyte support. It sounds like you have a abnormal problem here. Although I would have given a USB floppy one last shot but its your board and, in the end, the decision lies with you. If it is a newish board then you might check to see if its still under warranty. If it is not under warranty then its on you and you will have to replace the board using your money. Again, I am sorry that you are having these problems and I hope you get a resolution soon.
    Max out
    Thanks for your help. I think the USB floppy wouldnt help because the mobo was flashed with the incorrect bios before. Bios thinks its a K8NS and the actual mobo is the Ultra version. It wouldnt let me flash it anyway. I am gonna have to find a way to somehow reset the bios to its factory version and then flash it with the correct update.

The board is from 2005 and not under warranty anymore. I guess im out of luck as far as help from gigabyte goes.

last choice would be to contact Lsdmeasap(yes thats his online name) he may have a workaround for you. here is a post of his http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...g-guide-26112/
    simply click on his name and select PMessage and there you go. He works thru the week mostly. By ths way I have a PNY USB flash drive and I can access it through Qflash and I successfully saved my current BIOS. I intend to use a flash drive to update my bios when the time comes too.
    you can still try contacting gigabyte support and see what they say to you- it can not hurt..All the best.. :)
    Max out
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 02-15-2010 at 11:11 AM. Reason: add info
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spetsnaz201 View Post
    I am gonna have to find a way to somehow reset the bios to its factory version and then flash it with the correct update.
    I am quit sure there is a way, the same way K8NS BIOS was flashed.

The board is from 2005 and not under warranty anymore. I guess im out of luck as far as help from gigabyte goes.
    Is that what they told you or are you assuming? I don't think that the fact the warrenty expired means you are not eligible for technical support.

last choice would be to contact Lsdmeasap(yes thats his online name) he may have a workaround for you. here is a post of his http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...g-guide-26112/
    simply click on his name and select PMessage and there you go. He works thru the week mostly. By ths way I have a PNY USB flash drive and I can access it through Qflash and I successfully saved my current BIOS. I intend to use a flash drive to update my bios when the time comes too.
    you can still try contacting gigabyte support and see what they say to you- it can not hurt..All the best.. :)
    Max out

Lsdmeasap is no longer active on this forum. He hasn't been logged in in 2 months. I sent a question to Gigabyte, so all I can do is wait and see what they say.

Got a response from Gigabyte. The mobo is not under warranty and they say the mobo cannot be serviced free of charge.

I tried resetting the BIOS. I unplugged the power cable from PSU, took out the battery for 10 minutes. Then reconnected everything. On bootup screen it said cmos cleared. The BIOS version still remains the same as it was before my attempt.

Well, the problem is clearer and we know that you can not get help with out putting up some money. Do your have a local pc shop nearby? I had read in the BIOS flash guide that a repair person can try to reflash or reprogram your board.
    Does the board still work???
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...76/#post258596
    See the link in this post and see if there is any info that you can use as well.
    There is also some discussion about the different types of flash utilities and one that just flashes with no user input at all and the need to just wait for the flash to finish.
    Was yours a manual flash yes?
    Regards

Chike is offline Senior Member

I'd wait before spending any money. It seems the MB is operational.
    Word around Lsdmeasap will be back soon.

Well, the problem is clearer and we know that you can not get help with out putting up some money. Do your have a local pc shop nearby? I had read in the BIOS flash guide that a repair person can try to reflash or reprogram your board.
    Does the board still work???
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...76/#post258596
    See the link in this post and see if there is any info that you can use as well.
    There is also some discussion about the different types of flash utilities and one that just flashes with no user input at all and the need to just wait for the flash to finish.
    Was yours a manual flash yes?
    Regards
    I never flashed the board myself. Thats how it came in a box. It is functional. I have a local pc shop nearby but they charge ridicolous amounts of money for even the smallest things. They'd charge me more than the mobo is worth. I'll just wait for that guy to be active on the forums again.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

There may be a few ways to fix this, I will tell you one to try now in the open forum. If this does not work, then I will PM you a second fix to try that I ask you not to share publicly please.

Few answers to your other questions first. Your BIOS file is 512MB because it is an older board, only the new boards use 1-2MB BIOS files. You have Legacy USB Storage detect enabled already in your BIOS, it is this setting "Usb kb/storage support –--- enabled".

Your BIOS may or may not support Qflash Via USB, I think older Qflash versions did not support this and since you are using an AGP Board with a 512MB BIOS then this is likely the case so you will need to use a floppy.

Boot to DOS via whatever method you previously used to attempt to flash and received the mismatched BIOS ID Error, and try flashSPI using this command.

flashspi.exe k8nsu939.11k /F

The /F switch is force BIOS update, if that fails for you please try a similar command again but use this flash tool instead of flashspi. The /QI tell the BIOS flash tool to ignore the current BIOS ID and flash anyway, this only works with awardflash not flashspi.
    awd873.zip

Use command
    award873.exe k8nsu939.11k /F

If you receive error about file name or type, please change the BIOS file name to .bin and try again with the new name of the BIOS file like this

award873.exe k8nsu939.bin /QI /F

Did you also try BIOS files 6-10? Just wondering

If the above does not work, I can PM you information on how to crossflash BIOS from one board to another. This may or may not work with your board due to how old it is, but it is the only way to flash one boards BIOS into a incorrect motherboard, which is basically what you are trying to do because right now Qflash thinks your board is non ultra. This is likely how it was flashed previously.

If none of that works, do you really need the new Ultra BIOS? I mean it is likely not a big deal to continue using non ultra BIOS, just update to the latest one of those if you have to.

If you do end up messaging me and need the info on the crossflash, I would ask that you please do not share the method or file with anyone as it can kill a board and of course would void any warranty should you have problems. Meaning anyone you would possibly share it with, since you don't have a warranty it does not matter. The risk of bricking the board via this option would be up to you, but I think it would be fine as this is probably how it was flashed improperly before. Of course there could also be some issue, old board, single BIOS, ect causing a failure so it would be up to you to decide to use it or not. Keep in mind as I said above you could always just continue to use the non ultra BIOSes and update to the latest one of those.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-22-2010 at 11:46 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information