Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to Gigabyte, need a solution

Default Upgraded to Gigabyte, need a solution (boot looping)

Hey everyone I just joined these forums today, I have been doing some research on my motherboard that I just upgraded to and and not found a solution to my cold boot loop problem. My machine has not had one successful boot since I've upgraded to this new board.

I know I am not the only one with this problem but would like a success story rather than dealing with dismantling my machine to do an RMA. Hopefully someone out there has had a success story with this board !!

I do not understand why this is happening because I used all the components from my previous build so I know for a fact it is my new board...

So far I've tried with no luck:
    * Running only one memory stick in slot 1
    - Tried with different sticks
    * Running memory in slots 1 and 3
    - Did not try slots 2 and 4
    * Disconnecting the CPU power
    - Someone tried this with their machine and the same thing happened but no luck as well. Machine did not boot loop but no video came on screen as well.

My specs are as follows:
    Motherboard: GA-EP45-UD3P
    CPU: Pentium D 830 3.0ghz Dual core
    CPU Cooler: Zalman (one of those really large copper coolers I forget the name of it..)
    Memory: 4x1gb OCZ Gold Series PC5400 DDR2 667
    Graphics: 2x ATI Radeon X1800XT - Setup for crossfire
    HDD: 74gb WD Raptor 10k RPM
    PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w SLI/XFire Ready
    CASE: Antec Nine Hundred

Please help me find a solution
    Last edited by kace; 03-01-2010 at 05:16 AM. Reason: change title to make thread more clear. Forgot to post info about PSU. Updated possible solution

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Upgraded to Gigabyte, need a solution

What kind PSU do you have? Main power connector 20 or 24 pins? ATX_12v 4 or 8 pins?
    Re-check power connectors and video card are seated properly.

A good old CMOS clear(2nd part in post) will do no harm. Prefferebly with a jumber on and battery out for 20-30 minutes. If this doesn't help try an overnight clear just to get this out of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    What kind PSU do you have? Main power connector 20 or 24 pins? ATX_12v 4 or 8 pins?
    Re-check power connectors and video card are seated properly.

A good old CMOS clear(2nd part in post) will do no harm. Prefferebly with a jumber on and battery out for 20-30 minutes. If this doesn't help try an overnight clear just to get this out of the way.
    I have an OCZ GameXStream 700w PSU. The PSU has the option of having 4 or 8 pins for the ATX_12v, I have all 8 pins hooked up. For the main power has the option for both 20 and 24, I have all 24 pins hooked up.

I will pull all the connectors and give that a try...

I pulled the onboard battery to clear the CMOS but only for a minute or two.. guess I didn't do it long enough. I will pull it again to try it for 30 minutes, if that doesn't work... I will pull it tonight to do an overnight clearing.

Thank you for your reply !

Board revision is? (printed near the far PCI slot, I/O panel side)

If it is possible to have the video card in the second slot, this may akso be worth a shot, consult the manual.

My board revision is 1.6.

I pulled the battery out, placed a jumper on the CMOS_Clear pins. Following that guide you sent me I held the power switch on for one minute

(FYI: I plugged the power back in and my machine did not power on at all when I held the power button in for one minute... not sure if this was supposed to happen)

Now I will leave the jumpers in and the battery out for some time to be sure the CMOS is completely clear. Please let me know if I made a mistake in this process.

Pluged the power with CLR_CMOS jumper on?
    Pressing the power just meant to discharge any power left in PSU/MB capacitors, after unplugging it from the power.

oops... alright then.. I will do it again with no power plugged in

well, I had the jumpers connected with the battery out for a few hours, hooked everything back up and it's still looping..

I don't think clearing the CMOS overnight will do it if a few hours of clearing didn't work... then again I could be mistaken.

edit: okay apparently my bios is completely corrupted...

I will have to do an RMA on this board. :(
    Last edited by kace; 03-01-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Silly question but : Just how far does the system get before it reboots?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    Silly question but : Just how far does the system get before it reboots?
    not a silly question at all... the system stays on for about 5 seconds then cycles off and on, haven't gotten past that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information