Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAX58-UD3R Randomly rebooting

Default GAX58-UD3R Randomly rebooting

Just built a new system w/the following pieces:
    Mobo - GA X58A-UD3R
    cpu - i7 920
    RAM - G. Skill Trident ddr3-2000 (3x2gb)
    Video - Sapphire Radeon 5870
    PSU - Thermaltake 750w (not new to this build but bought and used since about 7 months ago w/no previous problems)
    OS - Windows 7 Premium

I'm at a loss right now...I've built a few systems for myself over the years but I've never had one just randomly reboot itself with no apparent rhyme or reason.

System just shuts down. No BSOD or error message of any kind other than a message of a "Kernel-Power" problem in the event viewer. This seems to be a very broad based error message that isn't entirely based in power issues from what i've read. My problem is there is no pattern. I've run fine for hours at a time then others I've had it reboot 4 times in 10 mins. It reboots at idle. It reboots under full load. It also has worked fine under both conditions.

I've run Prime95 for 8 hours w/no stability issues and my temps never going over 58C. Have not run memtest86 because my optical drive just took a dump on me but I have run the system using each stick of ram individually w/no varying results. I also ran another memtest program by HCI design at put the load on all sticks together and separate for 5 hours w/no hiccups. Timings are set to what is designated on the stick, however voltage is not because it's not running @pc16000. For what it's worth i had the same issue when running on auto.

Everything in bios is set to auto....no overclocking going on at all to try and get some stability but to no avail. For what it's worth the only common denominator that I can even remotely see is that i *think* i was using my mouse(usb) each time. Hlep!

Default Re: GAX58-UD3R Randomly rebooting

My guess is that it's either PSU or the board. Can you borow another PSU to see if it makes a difference?

Also try updating the BIOS.

Another PSU is not an option unless I buy one and frankly I'd rather rma this board and try again w/that before purchasing another PSU. I've flashed to bios to f4 and I ran fine for four days....thought everything was fixed w/the update then it rebooted again. Twice in about 30 mins and now I've gone over 24 hours w/o it resetting. I'm thinking the same thing at this point that it's the psu or the mobo although I'm leaning towards the mobo w/the bios update decreasing the frequency of crashes and that my power supply worked just fine until i built the new system; I can't imagine why it would all the sudden take a dump. From everything I've read 750w is more than enough to power what I have.

try coming off auto voltages as its less stable than manually setting them,3 main ones to set manually are cpu/qpi and ram..even tho its stable in tests when its on auto the voltage fluctuates and this can cause reboots
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Unfortunately here is where my ignorance begins to show...electricity. I have no clue what my voltages should be for a stock system. I know how to actually get in there and adjust but I guess I'm going to have to go searching for stock values.

Btw I was running Everest Ultimate (trial for now) and it's showing the following values.
    CPU Core = 0.94v
    +2.5v = 1.54v
    +3.3v = 3.36v
    +5v = 5.11v
    +12v = [trial version]
    +5v Standby = 3.63v
    VBAT Battery = 3.26v
    GPU VRM = [Trial Version]

SpeedFan 4.4 shows matches on what Everest shows but adds the following:
    +12v = 1.41v
    -12v = -1.01v
    -5v = -8.22v
    (Anyone know what the temp 3 value is w/this program? Everything else is fine except for that one.)

Are the low values on the 12v rail an issue? I have no idea if this is showing what the system is demanding or what the psu is putting out....the +/-12v and -5v values seem to be way off.

for stock clocks set cpu to normal voltage setting,dram voltage to 1.66 and try 1.25000qpi voltage,if your running ram at 2000mhz then try 1.30000v qpi,set system performance enhance to standard
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Thanks. Will try these when I get home tonight. Two quick questions though. What is "normal" voltage for my CPU and do you know if my +/-12v and -5v readings are a sign of a psu or mobo problem?

youll see in voltage setting it says normal,set it to that,its 1.18750v
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Going to have to reset my CMOS. With these settings I can't even get as far as my bios. My PC just continually resets itself before loading anything. So I still wonder...psu or mobo?

I had the same problem with this board.

The default CMOS settings got some conflicting parameters under MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)/Advanced CPU Features.

Default was:
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E): Enabled
    C3/C6/C7 State Support: Disabled

On my system that led to random reboots. I guess this is connected to the Turbo Boost Feature as it needs both abilities to work right.

Either disabling both options or enabling both works for my system.

Disabling both means Turbo Boost can get max +1 on the default CPU multiplier. This is the safer option if something else is broken or does not work well together. Several manufacturers who sell notebooks and pre-assembled desktops actually do not have these options in their BIOS at all, as it seems to be kinda tricky to get to work right.

With this board it should work though and it allows the Turbo Boost to up the CPU multiplier +4 on top of the default value, my system never crashed or rebooted anymore since I enabled both options.

Hopefully this is the same problem with your board and not some hardware defect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information