Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Random freeze-up on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

Default Re: Random freeze-up on Gigabyte P55A-UD4P

No luck. Installed the new Video Card and I am still getting the same freezes. Going to image everything with Acronis and wipe the drives, undo the raids, re-instaling from Image. If that fails, frsh windows instal, and then will take it from there. If the fresh install with only one HD connected doesn't work, I'll try then next drive in case the other drive is at fault. If it's the same deal after I try on the second drive...It's got to be the board or mem.. Course, I will default Bios as per your suggestions.. Oh joy.. guess what I will be doing this weekend? :(

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well I would suggest a clean install really, imaging wont help you at all if it is caused by something on the software side of things. Unless you meant to try a non RAID Setup, which if that is the case it really shouldn't make a difference.

Those aren't by chance "Green" Drives you are using are they? If they are, this is likely the cause as I have seen it mentioned before.

Good luck, hope you find the cause in all your testing!

No.. The 2 drives in array for the OS are 2x36GB Raptors. 2 additional WD 250GB (7200rpm) set in array for the apps and games..
    Didn't mention this.. as i didn't think it was relavent: I did flash my Board's Bios with @Bios.. but I did after this freezing issue started. the flash was successful. No apparent issues.
    So I will default back the Bios, undo the RAIDS.. and just for giggles, will restore the image onto a single Raptor drive and see what happens. the freezing happens fairly regularly, so It won't be long for me to get an answer. if it soes.. fresh install of the OS. I really do pray that it isn't the Mobo, CPU or ram ....... this was all bought at different places on-line, so it will require getting RMA's, shipping out, waiting...

Ok, well at least we know that it isn't caused by green drives. Good luck with the disk testing, let us know how you get along.

If you do decide you need to RMA if things do not get worked out, before you ship anything out, please let me know and I will have a look at your settings, ect and see if we can find any other cause.

Very much appreciated! If there was a way to isolate what hardware is the culprit, that would be fantastic! But nothing I have used so far is pointing at anything. Well..here goes.. pulling the plug on the Raid arrays and going back to regular 1 drive set-up..will let you know what happens.

Alright, keep up posted. Good luck, and don't let it frustrate you!

Well, that was a waisted evening... I reverted MoBo bios to non-raid, and went into Acronis to see if I could restore an image to a single drive (one that was now in IDE but was part of a Raid 0 array prior. Well, Acronis saw it, but it was greyed out and unavailable. So I though..fine, it has to be formatted.. I'll just load good old Hiren's boot CD and access Partition Magic and partition all those drives that were previously in array. Well, for whatever reason, It wouldn't run... Nada... Acronis doesn't give me an option to format those unavailable drives. Shortly after, started to slip into panic mode.. I used Acronis to wipe all data on the former Raid drives.. tried everything over again..noth. Then put the 2 drives back into Array (which was my OS Drive) and the system wouldn't boot from it. So I then reset the array on 2 drives that worked as my apps and games drive.. pointed the Bios to the specific HD to boot from, and I'm back at square one here. I have not re-installed a clean install of windows 7 to a single HD (non-array). More importantly..I got a freeze while Acronis was loading.. it ain't the array, or drives, or OS, Bios setting.. it's got to be a bad board.. Very frustratd at this point. How do i take a drive out of array ..? I mean, will doing this destroy the MBR? How would I restore, format and partition the drive if my Hiren's won't run? Is it becasue I have a 64 bit processor? Stumped, frustrated, and questioning my reasons for leaving Asus as my motherboard brand of preference. And if things couldn't get any worse, the "lil woman" is pissed cause I'm paying more attention to the computer than her..

Hmm, kinda lost. Sorry, all your methods and trial error, combined with no formatting in your reply makes it very hard to understand what happened.

To undo a RAID array is very simple, shut off RAID and it will be done. Then either format both drives, or remove one and format/install on a single disk before putting back in the second disk.

Windows installer will format them just fine. I think you may have just ran into issues leaving both in after disabling the array, those programs likely told you no thinking it was still an array.

Freeze while acronis is loading can be normal, depending on what version you are trying to use and how you burnt it. Stick with windows format, or use DOS on hirens. You could also just use diskpart or diskpar.

AHCI Setting will also cause issues with Hirens, as do SATA Drives in general so you may not be able to use the CD and would have to get the bootable partition magic disk alone, or download diskpart/diskpar and use that to format

Obtained a more recent version of Hiren's. I would not see my USB mouse for some reason.. so after many frustrating attempts with using just the keyboard.. I finally gave up and dug up an old ps2 mouse I kept as backup. (Being a pack rat does come in handy at times). I formatted (NTSF) and partitions every drive I had (excpet one). Windows had an issue with the version of NTFS Hiren's did, so I formatted under Windows install options. I pulled every drive, except one clean, formatted and partitioned Raptor and 2 external USB drives I use to store stuff. I will be giving the system time to see if it freezes up with absolute minimal apps installed. (only thing the system has the bare minimum right now. No other peripherals, and as stated before, just 1 internal HD. All I have installed are the Mobo drives (sata, realtek audio driver, usb..etc) as well as my video card drivers. I will install my firewall and anti-virus: just don't feel comfortable without those two installed. Aften no freeze-ups (after a few days), I will move on by adding one drive at a time. If I left out anything specific you'd like to know.. by all means.. tell me.
    Will keep you posted.

So all is working properly now that you got it all figured out, at least for now then right?

If so great, let us know how things go after a few days

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information