Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please help, strange problems with my K8Ns Ultra

Default Please help, strange problems with my K8Ns Ultra

I have a K8NS ultra with a 4600+ Athlon dual core processor. 2 gigs of matched PQI RAM. windows XP SP3.

I use a firewire interface for sound recording. The onboard 1394 does not seem to work, so I was using a PCI card made by Belkin. I also have an ATI Radeon graphics card.

Issues :

1. Sometimes the computer hangs on boot. It boots, but when it goes to load windows, the screen turns black and it hangs. I am thinking this may be a graphics card issue. I am not sure of the model of the card, but how can I find out? All I need is a basic card that has DVI in, handles a widescreen monitor and has drivers that work with this mobo.

2. The firewire does not work. The interface I have does work sometimes. Sometimes it does not. I moved the PCI card to the second PCI slot. The computer boots, and the new hardware wizard loads, stating that it can not find drivers for the PCI device. I moved it to another slot (the last one furtherst from middle) and it seemed to work, no wizard showed up, but my firewire interface does not sync to the card.

Why is my onboard 1394 not working with this device? It is weird to me that when it does work, it syncs perfectly, but I feel like it may be a computer issue and not the interface. Is there a way to test my computer and make sure everything is working alright?

I may need to flash the BIOS to update it again. I installed the dual core processor 4 years ago, and updated the BIOS then, and that is it.

Default Re: Please help, strange problems with my K8Ns Ultra

Try running prime95 for a couple of errors and ATITool "scan for artifacts" to check for problems.

Did Firewire ever work? It might be a driver issue, are you sure the correct drivers for the boards Firewire chip are installed?

Try updating the BIOS to see if it fixes the problem with the PCI 1394 card.

I will download and run those 2 programs when i get home.

I am not sure that the 1394 drivers are properly installed to be honest. I would love to use the onboard firewire and not have the PCI card in there. If there is a place to download the gigabyte drivers for the onboard, that would be great. It has been so long since I tried to get the onboard 1394 to work that I am not sure if it ever did. But it should. It is a Texas Instruments firewire device and should work with my interface.

I have not updated or flashed my BIOS in so long that I don't remember how to do it or what version to get. Is there a link for this?

Thanks

If I'm not mistaken your board has an AGP slot for video cards, PCI Express cards won't work. And I'm not sure there is a problem with your video card, but changing it can't hurt.

These should fit:
    Newegg.com - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards,agp

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Read the BIOS Flashing - A "How To ~ Qflash Guide" for the proper way to flash your bios.
    Make sure that you download the proper bios version for your motherboard, as there are often different bios versions depending on the version number of your motherboard.

Feel free to ask any questions if you need additional help with bios flashing.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Yep that is correct..I do need AGP. I think I should have stuck with the Nvidia chipset, so I am probably going with this one:

Newegg.com - PNY VCG62512AEB GeForce 6200 512MB 64-bit DDR2 AGP 8X Low Profile Ready Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

I ran the 2 tests last night for 30 mins ( i had to go) so far no errors on the graphics card or the motherboard.

I have to flash the MOBO now..I feel like I did it with a blank CDROM last time but it's been years since I have done it. The link helps..thanks.

update. I got the computer on the net and went to the gigabyte site and used their updater. It recommended that I get some SATA drivers, so I did.

I restarted and it said that it detected a new 61883 classbus device. When that ran it detected an AC/V thing and could not install that. I am not sure what that was, but it detected a few things it could not install.

Anyway, I am wondering if that gives any clues. I may upgrade my power supply also. Are there any recommended? I would like something quiet.

Does your device manager list any unknown devices?

There's a Foreceware driver package for Nvidia based boards that you can download fom nvidia.com, the drivers on the Gigabyte site are often outdated.

The Corsair CX400 is pretty quiet (It's on silentpcreview's recommended list) and a very good PSU, can't go wrong with it.

I will buy that PSU. Thanks. My device manager was listing a PCI RAID controller as a unknwon device. I did not check to see if that changed, so I will when I get home.

I will also go to the NVIDIA site and update my mobo there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information