Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD burning issues...I'm stumped.

Default Re: CD/DVD burning issues...I'm stumped.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiian_geek View Post
    if the cd/dvd drives don't work correctly it's because you're running RAID even though you have the dvd drives set to IDE...normally sata dvd burners have issues with RAID & it has to be disabled in the mobo bios.
    But I'm not running in RAID mode...the settings in the BIOS are AHCI for the 1st setting and IDE for the 2nd with the optical drives plugged in to the purple (IDE) ports. Even after formatting each drive individually and marking as Non-Raid then changing the mode in BIOS I can still only see one of the two if both connected.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Try the following:
    1. Save your current bios settings as a saved bios profile.
    2. Power off your system and psu.
    3. Disconnect one sata hard drive and both optical drives.
    4. Boot with your SSD and one hard drive only.
    5. Load optimized bios default settings.
    6. Make any required bios changes (AHCI, voltages) to run your system at stock speeds.
    7. Boot and verify that your system works with your SSD and one sata drive by copying some folders to your solo HDD.
    8. Re-enter the bios and attach your second sata hard drive.
    9. Boot and see if both hard drives are displayed in the Standard CMOS Features bios screen and if all three drives are displayed during the first boot screen.
    10. See if you can access the second sata hard drive by copying files or folders.
    11. If both hard drives are working properly, finally install your optical drives and check to see if all your drives are working.

How have you formatted both sata hard drives? Number of partitions per drive? Partition sizes?
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Chike is offline Senior Member

Have you installed the GSATA drivers? If so try to uninstall them.

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Sorry I just had to stick my nose in the door one more time. Hope I am not intruding, as I only wish to assist in the resolution. I see you have told us...
    I have 2 750GB hard drives on the 'purple' Gigabyte ports running in RAID-1 for storage also.
    Still further on you said
    ...OK...I'm back and really trying to avoid an OS reinstall. I decided I didn't care if the storage drives (they're clean at the moment) were RAID or not.
    So...I used the JMicron RAID utility while the drives were still set up as RAID and marked them both as Non-RAID Drives.
    Then restarted and booted to Windows. Using Computer Management/Disk Management I Initialized both 750GB drives. The utility showed 'Storage1' and 'Storage2', Healthy 698.6GB partitions on each.
    I shut down, removed those hard drives from the purple ports and plugged in the optical drives there. I then plugged in the formatted hard drives to SATA Ports 2 and 3 on the yellow Intel ports.
    Booted to BIOS and changed the Onboard SATA mode from RAID to IDE. The 1st setting is still set to AHCI. (I'm assuming the 1st setting controls the yellow ports and the 2nd the purple?)
    Restarted into Windows and it booted just fine. I have the optical drives plugged into the purple ports and can see both on startup and in Windows.
    BUT...with both 'Storage' drives plugged in, I can only see one in Computer and in Disk Management...if I switch the ports around I still only see one.
    No one has even asked, as yet about the drive make and model...
    Unfortunately...no dice.
    Each formats fine separately and can be seen when hooked up individually [Storage1 or Storage2 each with 698.63GB Healthy Partitions.]
    If I hook the other one up, it remains invisible.
    I even uninstalled the Gigabyte SATA2 RAID drivers under Add/Remove programs as well as Uninstalled RAID under Device Manager/Disk Drives. This just dropped the optical drives plugged into the purple ports so I reinstalled the Gigabyte drivers.
    In Computer Management/Disk Management I can see only one with both hooked up, but can see each individually when hooked up alone.
    The Gigabyte driver that installs is where the RAID is coming from that shows up in Device Manager. But since neither of those drives are plugged into the purple ports I don't understand why that driver would even be associated.
    There's nothing set up as RAID for the Intel controller and if I open Intel Matrix Storage Manager I can see both of the Model Numbers of the hard drives listed as well as the SSD.
    I just can't figure out why both can't be seen at the same time as separate drives when no RAID is set up and they have both been independently formatted.
    Trudging through still more text .....
    Somehow I get the idea they are Seagates?
    I think we need a sticky about requiring full equipment specifications....
    Respectfully Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-16-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: grammer
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Man, you guys are awesome!
    I can't believe the responses and the time a few of you good people put in, only to solve problems that aren't even yours.
    Though I'm VERY happy to have a place to inquire about mine.

EDIT: OK here's where it's at...

(2) 750GB Seagate Barracudas that were set up RAID1 on the purple Gigabyte controllers using the JMicron driver.
    After experiencing issues with my optical drives on the yellow Intel ports (AHCI mode for SSD) I moved them to the purple ports.
    Before doing so I used the JMicron utility (Ctrl-J on startup) to Delete the RAID1 array and mark the drives as Non-RAID.
    Then, using Disk Management in Windows, I formatted and partitioned each. (1) 698.6GB partition.
    Plugged them into the yellow Intel ports (AHCI) and can only see 1 at a time if plugged in separately or at the same time.
    There is still a listing in Device Manager called RAID though I'm assuming that installs with the JMicron driver.
    If I delete the driver, the optical drives in the purple ports are no longer there.
    In Intel Matrix Storage Manager (console in Windows, but I'm not running RAID) both the Seagate drives are listed.
    Both are detected and listed during startup.
    In Computer, you can only see/access one and I can find no way to access it unless I would shut down, reboot with one plugged in.
    I can access and write files to each if plugged in separately, but only one if both at the same time.

Last edited by Jerm1970; 03-17-2010 at 07:57 AM. Reason: added pics

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

^ bump to top ^

Info added to above post.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Have you tried disconnecting all drives except for your SSD and the two Seagate drives, to see if your system will recognize three installed drives?
    Is it possible that your Drobo setup is somehow causing a problem?

Try using Sata2_0, sata2_1, and sata2_2 ports to see if this makes any difference.
    Try changing the optical drive "paths" from D: and E: to Y: and Z:
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    Have you tried disconnecting all drives except for your SSD and the two Seagate drives, to see if your system will recognize three installed drives?
    Is it possible that your Drobo setup is somehow causing a problem?

Try using Sata2_0, sata2_1, and sata2_2 ports to see if this makes any difference.
    Try changing the optical drive "paths" from D: and E: to Y: and Z:
    Actually...I have booted to just the SSD with only one drive connected in SATA2_1...it was detected and accessible.
    Disconnected that one and connected the other one into SATA2_1...it was detected and accessible.
    BUT...if both are connected, no matter which available yellow ports are used, only one is accessible, though both are detected at startup and as shown in the screenshots.
    The above was done with no optical drives, externals or the Drobo connected.

I'm stuck at work right now, but as soon as i get home I'll run through this experiment again just to make sure. It almost seems to me like something is still considering the (2) Seagates as part of a RAID array, but I wouldn't know what or why. I deleted the array and formatted the drives before even moving them to the yellow ports.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I have no issues with RAID and using DVD drives, on the Intel or Gigabyte ports. Since I just got back and have not read this full thread yet I am not sure of your whole issues, mind a short recap?

You should have your OS/RAID drives in the yellow Intel ports SATAII 0-x and your DVD Drive on the last Intel port (SATAII 5), or any of the Gigabyte ports. Drivers of any kind are not needed, and on that note, if you did install the Gigabyte SATA Drivers please uninstall them as those are only for RAID on the GA Ports and are not even necessary when using RAID there either and only cause issues if you are not using them that way.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-18-2010 at 01:16 AM.

FIXED! wOOt!

Thanks again to everyone for the kind assistance!
    Now it's just a matter of getting better cooling and I can dive into the OC - OCD.
    Sorry the thread got off topic, but I believe the issues were all interconnected.
    Although I couldn't tell you exactly why it worked because I had done this previously, I uninstalled Gigabyte drivers, Shut Down, put Drive1 on SATA2_2 and Drive2 on SATA2_3, booted up and saw BOTH AT THE SAME TIME in Disk Management.
    Its a bit frustrating since I had already tried this, but I'm guessing I did something out of sequence or spaced somehow.
    But this issue is now solved. If I ever decide to go through setting up RAID on the Intel ports, I'm pretty sure I can fly solo.
    Thanks again to everyone who has spent their time trying to help.
    I owe everyone a favor and will try to help others if I'm able.

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1