Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CD/DVD burning issues...I'm stumped.

Question CD/DVD burning issues...I'm stumped.

Hi folks,

Ive recently finished putting this system together thanks to the help I received from the fine people on this forum. Everything appeared to be working just fine (ie MemTest, IntelBurnTest, Prime95) as far as the OS and BIOS settings. I did have to reset the BIOS to AHCI mode and reinstall Windows due to the SSD being used as the OS/boot drive.
    I hadn't tried burning any CDs or DVDs until the other day and was unable to burn anything. I usually get a Power Calibration error or it just fails. I never had ANY issues with my optical drives before moving them to this system and I've spent several days trying to determine where the problem lies.

Here's my situation:
    2 optical drives installed on the 'orange/yellow' Intel SATA ports. The drives are a little dated, but as I mentioned, worked fine in my Dell, but not now. They are: Optiarc DVD+-RW 5170S and TSST CDRW/DVD TS-H493B. I'm using the Intel controller set to AHCI in the BIOS.
    Does it have something to do with the the mode being AHCI as opposed to IDE? Problems arise with the SSD if I try to run in IDE mode and you can't just change modes without having to 'sanitary erase' the SSD and reinstall the OS. I have 2 750GB hard drives on the 'purple' Gigabyte ports running in RAID-1 for storage also.
    In Device Manager it shows both optical drives by model number and that they are working correctly. If I try to Update Driver it says they are up to date. I tried downloading and installing the recommended firmware from Sony (Optiarc), but the installer says it cannot locate the drive?
    This is extremely frustrating considering the main reason I built this machine was to edit audio and video and burn discs.
    I can't find anything in the BIOS settings which allow me to change the mode for the optical drives only.
    Maybe AHCI mode isn't the problem at all, but I can't determine what it might be or why.

Can anyone here point me in the direction of enlightenment?

Thanks in advance! I just wanna get this thing completely solid so I can get better cooling, push for some decent overclocking, and start actually using it.

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: CD/DVD burning issues...I'm stumped.

Have you tried the burners with the purple ports in IDE mode?
    If they work, wouldn't it be more reasonable to have the RAID on the Intel ports since youwant the SSD in AHCI mode anyway?

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Hi Sorry about your problems Jerm 1970 but i think I know whats happening. Its AHCI mode that will not let you use your CD DVD drives properly IMO I could be wrong if there is a BIOS update that fixes it but I too have been unaable to use DVD SATA drive with AHCI turned on in the BIOS. The answer is to use the Gigabyte SATA2 chip which has a IDE and SATA connector (in IDE mode - thanks chike)
    I have 2 750GB hard drives on the 'purple' Gigabyte ports running in RAID-1 for storage also.
    An now I see why you can not use the Gig sata port. Well the choice is to use the gig sata as DVD CD connection or for your RAID 1 array, then add a SATA PCI-E card for your other device (RAID1 or CD DVD)
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-13-2010 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

A quick internet search using:
    optical drive ahci
    points to many issues with optical drives running under AHCI on Intel sata ports.
    It looks like the best way to eliminate the problem is to
    a) connect your optical drives to the purple Gsata ports
    or
    b) install a sata controller pci card for the optical drives

I may be wrong, but you should be able to set up multiple raid arrays using the six Intel sata ports, with your boot disk(s) using the lowest numbered sata ports.
    You should be able to run with your SSD boot drive using the first (Sata2_0) port and your raid setup(s) using the remaining Sata2_x ports.
    Last edited by profJim; 03-14-2010 at 12:16 AM.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Thanks guys! I was afraid that was my only option :( So it looks like I'll have to set the mode for the Intel ports to RAID and place the SSD and both 750s on the orange ports and the 2 optical drives on the purple ports in IDE mode.
    Unfortunately, this will require another fresh install of Windows, but hopefully for the last time.
    I REALLY appreciate the quick responses!

@Chike...it doesn't look like you ever leave these boards :)
    Thanks to all of you for the help!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

Chike is offline Senior Member

Witching from AHCI to RAID will require system reinstallation?

Don't reinstall anything untill you see that the burners in GSATA IDE mode actually work.

Yeah...it blows.
    As soon as I switch the mode for the Intel controllers to RAID from AHCI, I can no longer boot from the SSD :( It gets to 'Starting Windows' then flashes a quick BSOD which is too fast to read, then restarts.
    OCZ recommends running the SSD in AHCI mode and I had already set it up once in IDE, but the performance was lacking so I did a clean install with AHCI mode.
    Then after that was up and running stable decided to move the other hard drives over for the RAID-1 storage, but since the Intel ports were in AHCI I couldn't create the array (although the drives were detected)
    So I put those on the purple controllers in order to set up RAID using the JMicron controller...
    It seems I'm now forced to do another fresh install. I'd try the internal PCI SATA card route, but living in BFE...there's not one store I go pick one up...ridiculous.
    It's gonna be a rainy weekend here so I it looks like this is how I'll spend it. :(
    Thanks again folks! This forum has proven to be invaluable to me during this setup. I wish there was some way I could repay the favors.
    Hopefully, I'll finally get to the point of working on the OC!

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

I think that win7 comes with raid drivers, but they might not be the Intel drivers. Maybe they are m/s drivers.
    An internet search using:
    raid driver install win7
    might point you in the right direction.

1) Have you tried booting with only your SSD connected using AHCI?
    2) Connect your remaining hard drives, and then boot into windows.
    3) Reboot, enter the bios, change to RAID mode and boot into windows.
    4) Reboot, enter the bios, configure your raid array, and then boot into windows.

If you read the Bios Flashing "How-to Guide", you'll see that many steps are required to set-up a raid array.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Does it have something to do with the the mode being AHCI as opposed to IDE? Problems arise with the SSD if I try to run in IDE mode and you can't just change modes without having to 'sanitary erase' the SSD and reinstall the OS. I have 2 750GB hard drives on the 'purple' Gigabyte ports running in RAID-1 for storage also.
    Important to remember is to BACKUP when ever you try something tricky.
    Taking another look at the problem I see you have two SSD drives that need AHCI mode. Can you set the Gsata or gigabyte sata2 controller(purple ports) to AHCI and put the SSD's there??
    Then set the Intel controller to IDE for your main CD DVD drives, and other storage drives??? With RAID 1 you are losing capacity while gaining security with two drives you will gain capacity and lose security. Also, Look for a PCI-E (not PCI) controller for your RAID array.
    There are off site backups as well like carbonite or others. Seems like you have all the tools for a speed demon there guy Lets see Win 7 64bit with tons of memory I bet and SSD drives wow I like your setup. :)
    EDIT: Sorry I saw your other post where you asked about where to put you SSD's which is your Intel ports w/BIOS set to AHCI mode.
    Max
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 03-14-2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: grammer
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

OK...I'm back and really trying to avoid an OS reinstall. I decided I didn't care if the storage drives (they're clean at the moment) were RAID or not.
    So...I used the JMicron RAID utility while the drives were still set up as RAID and marked them both as Non-RAID Drives.
    Then restarted and booted to Windows. Using Computer Management/Disk Management I Initialized both 750GB drives. The utility showed 'Storage1' and 'Storage2', Healthy 698.6GB partitions on each.
    I shut down, removed those hard drives from the purple ports and plugged in the optical drives there. I then plugged in the formatted hard drives to SATA Ports 2 and 3 on the yellow Intel ports.
    Booted to BIOS and changed the Onboard SATA mode from RAID to IDE. The 1st setting is still set to AHCI. (I'm assuming the 1st setting controls the yellow ports and the 2nd the purple?)
    Restarted into Windows and it booted just fine. I have the optical drives plugged into the purple ports and can see both on startup and in Windows.
    BUT...with both 'Storage' drives plugged in, I can only see one in Computer and in Disk Management...if I switch the ports around I still only see one.
    In Device Manager under Disk Drives it shows the OCZ Vertex and then RAID...?...even with either one of the drives plugged in by itself, it shows RAID but under Disk Management they are named either Storage1 or Storage2...whichever is plugged in.
    If I Uninstall that RAID device in Device Manager I'm prompted to reboot, but it shows up again on restart.

How can I make both drives accessible as separate drives in Computer and Disk Management? Why can I only ever see one of them if RAID is not turned on anywhere?
    If they were once marked as RAID (which they were) shouldn't deleting the RAID volume in JMicron and completely formatting the drives get rid of or break any sort of connection between the two?

ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1