Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UD7 - can I run SATA and IDE drives at the same time?

ed1 is offline Member

Default UD7 - can I run SATA and IDE drives at the same time?

I have an X58A-UD7 system running with an SATA SSD as the boot drive and an SATA HDD drive for file storage. I have enabled AHCI, SMART and NCQ where available for these drives.

Can I add an old IDE HDD for additional file storage or backup purposes?

If so, can I keep the AHCI, SMART, etc. settings for the SATA drives while running the IDE drive as well? Will Windows 7 disk management allow me to partition the IDE drive?

I won't be running RAID.

Default Re: UD7 - can I run SATA and IDE drives at the same time?

i dont think you can,i have an ide dvd drive and it doesnt work when i enable ahci,it only works when i enable ide.......however you can buy a ide to sata adapter maybe it will work then
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You may just need to edit a few reg entries to use AHCI/IDE at the same time, it is easy. Make these edits
    Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start
    But yYou may not need to do anything as well, just plug the IDE in a test by booting up, it wont hurt anything.

Yes, windows 7 should allow you to partition. You could also download Easus free partition program, it's nice and free
    Easeus Partition Master Home Edition - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com

Technically, why would the use of ICH10R, Marvell, and JMicron chips in AHCI mode prevent the use of "Gigabyte SATA2" chip's IDE channel?

Similarly, It would be a major downgrade if an OS could handle two different disk device controllers simultaneously.

Windows Disk Management does "partitioning" just fine. Although, one probably does means both adjustments of partition table and initialization of filesystems (aka "formatting"). But if one really want's an alternative partitioning tool, then any Linux Live-distro with GParted is an option.

I was only commenting on the use of the Intel AHCI, and really only left the reg edit in case he had issues.

I think it should be plug n play anyway though, which is why I said to go ahead and plug it in a start it up.

OP, if you are unsure/scared let me know and I can test as I have several IDE drives sitting around and I am running in RAID Mode which would be the same as AHCI in this instance.

i tried you reg edit to get my ide cd/dvd drive working but it didnt work,it only works in ahci mode
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Do you have your IDE drive on the correct place on the IDE Ribbon cable, and the jumper set properly? Master is the end of the cable, Slave middle.

Sometimes you can't use IDE CD/DVD Drive and hard drive at the same time on newer motherboards, are you using it by itself? If you are, then try both positions on the cable, and also try all three jumper settings using CS once for each place on the cable as well.

Just wondering, the reg edit above is only to allow an OS to boot with any setting IDE/AHCI/RAID. This only applies to Vista/Windows 7 unless you already have the RAID Drive installed (Just a note for XP Users who may find this later)

no its fine in win7 in ahci mode but it wont work in ide mode,being dual boot i have to switch back to ide mode when i want to boot into xp as i dont know the reg fix to enable ahci in xp,ive tried master/slave still the same no detection,my hard drives arnt in raid,they work fine and are detected it just the lite-on dvd ide drive,i might buy a sata drive soon anyway there cheap and itll be good to get rid of the thick ide cable
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Yeap, SATA CD drives are fairly cheap these days.

To enable AHCI in XP you need to do a few different things, would you like me to find you a guide to do that?

if you have time,ive found a few guides but there confusing,the win7 ahci reg tweak was simple worked first attempt.xp is more difficult
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information