Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

OK, well either way set it how I suggested.

It will post with the values I mentioned once you have your other settings right, no way 10 would not post unless something is wrong with the BIOS as 10 is WAY LOOSE, or the memory is just not compatible. P35 was very picky when it comes to memory, and both types you mentioned often had various issues from time to time.

CPU-z shows Vdrop (Idle vs BIOS Set), and Vdroop (Idle Vs Load)

Keep us posted

I tried the settings recommended in that template and still could not get it to POST. I tried the 2.40 and 2.50 multiplier with your suggested settings.

Would you recommend trying an older BIOS before trying out my OCZ RAM? I'm a shluff and don't want to pull the RAM from my main rig... lol :yawn

Could it be possible that the C2D E6420 does not like the Corsair XMS RAM? If this is possible, I may try and snag a 45nm Core 2 Duo. However, it would be sucky to buy a CPU and figure out I'll have the same issue, hah.

I guess before I spend any moneys I'll try my OCZ RAM or a different BIOS on the GA-EP35-DS4. If it turns out to be my RAM, I'll definitely ask what 2x1GB kit will do justice.

Sorry I forgot to check what CPU-Z reported for CPU vcore inside Windows 7. I also forgot to see what Core Temp reported. My friend and I jumped right into Bad Company 2 after trying the suggested settings in that template.

Whenever I fire on my 2nd rig tomorrow I will check and see what CPU-Z and Core Temp report.

If anyone plays Bad Company 2 my main soldier is RoscoP and my soldier on my 2nd rig is StraightRippin. Feel free to send an invite if you play

Do you actually want my real answer here? I hate to say it as both companies are very reputable, but with GA-P35 boards both OCZ and Corsair seemed to have a lot of compatibility issues. I thought maybe we could get you going without me having to mention this, but it looks like I have to anyway.

Of course, do try your OCZ as you may have a compatible set. I do not believe an older BIOS would help at all, a newer one is what is needed with added memory compatibility, but they are not updating these BIOS much anymore if at all.

Try your OCZ with the settings I mentioned, let us know how that goes. It's easy to open your case and change your memory, stop slacking

Okay, I was motivated enough today to swap my OCZ RAM from my main system. I tried the settings you mentioned in the BIOS template, and still no post. I tried everything I possibly could with my OCZ RAM on the GA-EP35-DS4.

What DDR2 RAM will cooperate and overclock well with my GA-EP35-DS4? I intend to buy a new (or used) kit of 2x1GB or 2x2GB of DDR2 800 / DDR2 1066. I'd rather have your opinion than the memory compatibility list from Gigabyte's website... hah.

Thanks.

Well, the ram on the QVL of course :)

I know from personal use Mushkin and Crucial (2.0V kits) work fine, but some may see that as being favoritism which it is not, it's just what I use is all. The older 2.2V Crucial's had issues, so do not use those. The Mushkins I used on this board are not stocked anymore (996576 Blue Heatsinks 2x1GB and 996533 Blue 2x1GB) but a good kit that should have no issues is 996580 Black 2x2GB, and value kit 2x1GB 996527 also works as I have used that in this board. The 996580 is still sold and a great kit, still using mine in a P45 setup now.

What you could do though, before buying memory, is put your other CPU into this board. Then you could see if maybe your CPU is what is stopping you from being able to use the memory you already have. I know that is a lot of work, but it would save you from buying new memory if you didn't have to.

Lsdmeasap,

I bought a 2x1GB Kit of Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) - BL2KIT12864AA80A - Newegg link here

I tried everything I possibly could that has been mentioned in this thread and still cannot get this system to POST. It won't even POST whenever I manually set the stock speed of the CPU. I did load optimized defaults after swapping RAM.

This makes me think it is the CPU not wanting to cooperate. I think I'm going to start looking for a cheap 45nm Core 2 Duo that can OC well.

I'm currently running both the Crucial and Corsair kit together (4x1GB) with no problems. I played Bad Company 2 for quite awhile with no problems at all.

You get to the BIOS correct?

Please try clearing the CMOS using the long method in post #2 here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Then go through the load optimized hoops again and see if it posts. If so, then go into the BIOS and set your disk settings, ect. Then set ram voltage to 2.0V, set tRD to 7-8, set the Memory multi to 3.00A and leave CPU at stock. That should boot without issue

You can get a E8400 or E3110 for around $100 sometimes less on ebay. What did you mean by your last comment, using Corsair and Crucial together? I thought you could not post???

The system does POST, Crucial RAM or Corsair RAM individually, or even both together. As of right now I am running perfectly stable from optimized defaults with both kits of RAM in. It will only run at stock speeds fine. The slightest change in MIT after loading optimized defaults results in the system not POST'ing. If I enable CPU Host Clock Control and dial in this E6420's stock speeds the system will not POST. I don't get this, P35 is supposed to be easier to OC with than P45.

I'm going to try and clear the CMOS using the long method you suggested. I'm going to pull the Corsair RAM and try it with just the Crucial RAM in. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks.

Ahh ok. Yes please only use one set of memory, for now use the Crucial since you just bought it.

Once you get setup, let me know what speeds you want to run and I will give you some settings to tinker with

Ok, I went ahead and cleared the CMOS using the long method, loaded optimized defaults afterward, and still no POST when changing anything in MIT. I even took the battery out of the board overnight after trying to clear the CMOS using the long method suggested, and still had the same result.

I'd like to at least get this E6420 to 3 Ghz (3000 / 8 = 375 FSB). I was thinking 333*8 would be a good place to start since there is a strap (2.40) that will make my RAM run at its rated speed.

At this point I'm really thinking it is the CPU that is not playing well with the configuration.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information