Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

It very well could be, but not sure why that would be but stranger things have happened :)

Try this for 333 FSB, you will of course need to find your own Vcore though.

Robust Graphics Booster___________ [Auto or Fast]
    CPU Clock Ratio ____________ [8]
    CPU Host Clock Control_ [Enabled]
    CPU Host Frequency (MHz)__________ [333]
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)_______ [100]
    C.I.A. 2__________________________ [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD)____ [2.40]
    DRAM Timing Selectable_______ SPD __ [Manual]

Performance Enhance = [Standard]

CAS Latency Time________5________ 4
    Dram RAS# to CAS# Delay_____5____ 4
    Dram RAS# Precharge Delay___5____ 4
    Precharge Delay (tRAS)_____18_____ 12

ACT to ACT Delay (tRRD)____AUTO_____ set 3 for now
    Rank Write to READ Delay___AUTO_____ set 4 for now
    Write to Precharge Delay___AUTO______ set 6 for now
    Refresh to ACT Delay_____AUTO_________ set 44 for now
    Read to Precharge Delay__AUTO________ set 3 for now
    Static tRead Value_______AUTO________ Set 7-8
    Static tRead Phase Adjust___8_____ << Always Auto

System Voltage Control____ [Manual]
    DDR2 OverVoltage Control__ [Normal] << Set +0.2 = 2.0V
    PCI-E OverVoltage Control_ [Normal] +0.1 for stability
    FSB OverVoltage Control___ [Normal] +0.1 for stability, may need +0.2 but I doubt it
    (G)MCH OverVoltage Control [Normal] +0.1 for stability
    CPU Voltage Control_______ [1.3-1.45]

Limit CPUID Max. to 3.....................: [Disabled]
    No-Execute Memory Protect............: [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)................: [Disabled]
    C2/C2E State Support....................: [Disabled]
    x C4/C4E State Support..................: [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor 2(TM2) ...........: [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function.........................: [Disabled]
    Virtualization Technology................: [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use

Integrated Peripherals
    Legacy USB Storage Detect___________________[Enabled] << Disabled for now

I just tried the above template and still it will not POST. Last night I also tried an older BIOS (F5) to see if I had any good result, and still no POST when changing anything in MIT.

Even if I try and manually put in this E6420's stock speeds through MIT, no POST... this sucks.

Hmm, that is odd for sure about the stock speeds!

Maybe your board just hates this CPU? Did you ever try to switch the CPU's yet with the board/CPU's you have?

I haven't tried my Q9550 with my GA-EP35-DS4 yet. I'm really not wanting to unmount my Xigmatek Dark Knight, lol. My Chieftec case that holds the GA-EP35-DS4 does not have a hole in the backside to access a back plate (I am using a backplate w/ the Xigmatek HDT-SD964 but it's different than the Dark Knight).

I would put my Q9550 in my GA-EP35-DS4 but I'm currently out of good thermal paste. My Arctic Silver 5 tube that I bought in 2004 just now ran out. I only have some cheap o thermal paste lying around and I'm confident I did a really good application when I put this Dark Knight on.

In the meantime I'm going to start pushing this Q9550 on my GA-EP45-UD3P - I havn't tried pushing it again since I got my Dark Knight. I had this Q9550 at 4 Ghz with my Xigmatek HDT-SD964 but the temps were out of hand. You may see a thread soon asking for help OC'ing my Q9550 on this UD3P... ;-}

I'll definitely update this thread once I get another CPU for the GA-EP35-DS4.

I just wondered, I knew it would probably be a hassle for ya to switch them around.

Well good luck with the 9550, I am sure we will be seeing your new thread. P45 is a bit different than P35 for sure, so get ready to have to tinker with more settings.

Default RMA Time?

Sorry for reviving a thread from the dead...

I recently got a chance to try an E8400 out in this GA-EP35-DS4... Same results. The system is rock stable with optimized defaults, but as soon as I enable CPU host clock control (Manual adjusting FSB), no POST.

I can't even dial in this E8400 manually (333x9, setting vcore to VID of 1.25v). I have tried everything mentioned in this thread. I've tried every official BIOS for this board, with no luck

I'm tired of this frustration and wasting my time. Does this particular issue allow me to RMA? Or am I gonna have to make up something in order to RMA? I can definitely see them denying an RMA if they hear "I want to RMA this board cause it won't allow me to OC". I can only imagine them laughing their asses off and replying with a simple no.

If I do RMA I don't want this same board to come back to me and have the same results.

What are my options here?

Yes, I'd think you could RMA for this issue. It sounds like something is broke in the board somewhere, since you now have the same issue with two CPU's.

You did clear the CMOS for an extended period when switching the CPU's right? If not try it now.

I'd just say RMA Reason = CPU Host Clock Control non functional with any BIOS and multiple CPU's.

I would call in your RMA, so you can better explain and talk to them directly so they don't give you the same board back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, I'd think you could RMA for this issue. It sounds like something is broke in the board somewhere, since you now have the same issue with two CPU's.

You did clear the CMOS for an extended period when switching the CPU's right? If not try it now.

I'd just say RMA Reason = CPU Host Clock Control non functional with any BIOS and multiple CPU's.

I would call in your RMA, so you can better explain and talk to them directly so they don't give you the same board back.
    Thank you so much for taking your time to reply.

I tried doing the long CMOS reset overnight but I have the same results today.

I'm doing some data backup using this GA-EP35-DS4 today but once I'm done I'm going to get the serial number off of this board and submit an RMA.

So, my RMA will likely be accepted due to "CPU Host Clock Control non functional with any BIOS and multiple CPU's." ? I think this should allow for RMA, as this is a critical feature needed to overclock.

I don't think anyone out there ever would have bought this GA-EP35-DS4 board and not use it to overclock... lol.

I really appreciate you willing to help me in the RMA so this gets resolved. That would be great if they could get your word that I have tried damn near everything, and it is the board at fault, and I don't want the same one back.

Thanks, let me know here or via a PM.

Yes, I think they should honor a RMA for you due to this issue, you can link this thread if you like so they will see your testing and our discussions.

Be sure to tell them if they test your board before sending you a different one, to be sure they test changing the CPU host Clock Control (FSB), so they will see it is non-functional.

Okay I submitted an RMA Request and for the "Problem" text box I put something along these lines -

"CPU Host Clock Control non functional with any BIOS and multiple CPU's. I turned to TweakTown for help and one of the forum mods finally diagnosed the board as bad. I don't want to receive the same motherboard back please."

I didn't link to this thread or ask them to test my board before sending me a different one. Can I still do this in the RMA process? I submitted the request before I saw your response, my bad.

At this point I guess all I need to do is wait for them to approve my RMA request. Thanks for the help.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information