Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

I think you can go login and edit your RMA request, if not email them with further info when they respond to your RMA Request.

Ya just wait, they will contact you with an email approval, when they do reply to that and include the rest of your info... If you can't login and edit your request now, which you may be able to do so be sure to check.

I received notice of Gigabyte finishing testing my GA-EP35-DS4 and shipping it back to me on August 20. I got the board yesterday August 27.

The board actually arrived in a different box. I unbox it, examine it, and it appears to be a fresh new board. I then got everything assembled and back together.

I must have spent at least an hour trying different things in the BIOS and still the same result - Board powers back on, fails to POST, shuts off again, then turns on with fail safe defaults.

I'm unable to manually dial in this E6420 or E8400, with the right multiplier, FSB, strap, and stock vcore.

Could this possibly be my power supply ? I don't understand how the system could be stable 24/7 on Prime95 Blend, but won't even allow me to change CPU Host Clock Control.

Oh yeah, and Gigabyte sent me the EXACT SAME BOARD BACK - SERIAL #'s ARE THE SAME

#&!@&&!&@#&!&!@ TIME & MONEY ARARRAR
    Last edited by RoscoP; 08-29-2010 at 03:28 AM.

It could be the PSU maybe, not sure? Can you borrow another to test with?

Did you get a testing report or any report paper back with your board?

Have you contacted them and reported nothing changed? Ask them what PSU they tested with, maybe if it's larger or a different brand that could be the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    It could be the PSU maybe, not sure? Can you borrow another to test with?

Did you get a testing report or any report paper back with your board?

Have you contacted them and reported nothing changed? Ask them what PSU they tested with, maybe if it's larger or a different brand that could be the issue?
    Yes, I can use a friends power supply that has a higher rated wattage and amps on the 12v rail.

My Antec Earthwatts 430W has 2 12v rails @ 17A each. I am using a 4 pin to 8 pin ATX power connector.

I did not receive a testing report or any report back, I'm very irritated about this. They did give me a note stating something like

"If you sent this board to us because it would not POST then ... Don't put the board back in the PC Case to test.... just put board on box and re assemble and try blah blah blah"

I have not contacted them. Are they even willing to help seeing that they sent the same board back with no info ?

Yes please try another PSU, and hopefully one where no CPU power adapter is need.

They sent the same board back because it worked fine in their tests I'm sure, so it has to be your PSU or other hardware causing this.

They would help, but you'll probably have better luck troubleshooting this yourself if you have hardware you can use.

Yes please try another PSU, and hopefully one where no CPU power adapter is need.

They sent the same board back because it worked fine in their tests I'm sure, so it has to be your PSU or other hardware causing this.

They would help, but you'll probably have better luck troubleshooting this yourself if you have hardware you can use.
    I tried the board with my friend's OCZ 600 Watt power supply, no 8 pin adapter. Unfortunately the board still has the same results. I can't even manually dial in this Core 2 Duo E6420.

I really want to be able to use this board, but at this point I'm afraid I have no help. I'm very irritated for wasting hours on this and not getting anywhere.

I am only going to send this board back to Gigabyte if they can cover shipping cost or if they reimburse me for my first shipment. Also, I won't send this board back to Gigabyte again if they are going to send me the same board back the second time.

What should I do at this point?

No 8 PIN EPS connection doesn't make for a good PSU Test.

I would test with a large EPS PSU, then if it still fails contact Gigabyte directly on the phone and explain your issues and testing and your previous RMA, and see if they will work something out with you.

No 8 PIN EPS connection doesn't make for a good PSU Test.

I would test with a large EPS PSU, then if it still fails contact Gigabyte directly on the phone and explain your issues and testing and your previous RMA, and see if they will work something out with you.
    The OCZ 600w my friend has does have an 8 pin 12v atx connector (When I said no 8 pin adapter, I mean not going from a 4 pin to an 8 pin adapter. NOT using this - APEVIA 9.5" 4 Pin P4 /12V to 8 Pin P8 /12V Power Supply Converter Cable Model CVT48 .

I used the OCZ 600W PSU's 8 PIN connector straight to the board, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I tested with a Corsair 750TX also, same results.

It is not the PSU, it is definitely the board.
    Last edited by RoscoP; 09-04-2010 at 03:44 AM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

When you flashed to the newest bios, did you set:
    Keep DMI Data = Disabled? If this was set to Enabled, you should re-flash your bios using the Disabled option.

Did you try booting using memory slots 2 & 4 instead of 1 & 3?

Have you tried booting using only one memory module?
    You might need to test with only one module in slots 2, 3, or 4.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Quote Originally Posted by profJim View Post
    When you flashed to the newest bios, did you set:
    Keep DMI Data = Disabled? If this was set to Enabled, you should re-flash your bios using the Disabled option.

Did you try booting using memory slots 2 & 4 instead of 1 & 3?

Have you tried booting using only one memory module?
    You might need to test with only one module in slots 2, 3, or 4.
    Thanks for the suggestions projJim.

I am not sure what "Keep DMI Data" was set to before flash. I always load optimized defaults before and after the flash.

I have not tried RAM in slots 2 & 4 instead of 1 & 3. I have tried 3 different sets of RAM on this board. I'm currently using a Crucial Ballistix 2x1GB DDR2-800 kit that is on the qualified vendor list for this board.

I haven't tried using only one memory stick. I think at this point I'm convinced its the board. I know you guys might think different.

It seriously shouldn't take this much trouble and work to get a board to POST when going for a small OC. I'm sorry but I am 99.99% sure this board is defective.

I have tried -
    *3 different sets of RAM
    *2 different CPU (E6420 & E8400)
    *3 different power supplies
    *wasted hours trying EVERYTHING in the BIOS mentioned in this thread

You say my P45 is hard to OC ? This P45 has been a champ, always POSTS and has more complex features in the BIOS than the P35.

I'm serious here though - My issue is not a result of bad input from me in the BIOS or from faulty components. THIS BOARD IS DEFECTIVE.

I think I'm up **** creek here. Here is Gigabyte's policy on second RMA -

Second RMA Procedures

# Users must troubleshoot with a tech support representative prior to requesting a second RMA
    # If a GIGABYTE technician concludes that the product qualifies for a second RMA, GIGABYTE will issue a call tag for the product:

# If the product is defective upon inspection, the product will be repaired/replaced and returned to the user at GIGABYTE's expense.
    # If the product is not defective upon inspection, the product will be returned at the user's expense.

# If a GIGABYTE technician concludes that the product is not defective, and user insists for the product to come in for a second RMA to be retested, GIGABYTE will issue a call tag for the product:

# If the product is defective upon inspection, the product will be repaired/replaced and returned to the user at GIGABYTE's expense.
    # If the product is not defective upon inspection, the product will be returned at the user's expense and user will also need to reimburse GIGABYTE for the call tag. A testing fee of $20 dollars may apply if product is not defective as user claims.

This policy is subject to change without prior notice

I'm irate about filling out the documentation on the issue I have with my board when I sent it in. I spent 10 minutes filling it out and linking to our discussion here. Guess what? Gigabyte doesn't send me any documentation back, no note on what they tried, if they found anything wrong, etc.

I'm not sending this board back if they're possibly going to charge me to ship it back, at my expense, and charge me to repair this board. They should have taken care of my issue the first time this board went half way across the US to their RMA center.
    Last edited by RoscoP; 09-05-2010 at 01:58 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread Information