Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

Default Re: Need Help OC'ing E6420 + GA-EP35-DS4

The problem might be with the mobo's memory system, possibly a faulty memory slot.

Yes, troubleshooting can be a royal PITA.
    To avoid all this trouble-shooting you can simply bring your system to a repair shop and pay big bucks for them to go through the steps you're going through.

The P35 is a good mobo, easier to o/c than the P45, but it generally won't o/c as high.

Newegg currently offers 11 P45 mobos.
    Not including the EP45T-USB3P (DDR3), 3 models are out of stock, 3 are open box returns, and the remaining 4 models go for $80 - $105.

I know your frustration from first hand experience, my P45 suddenly powered off and no amount of trouble-shooting and hardware testing worked.
    I moved all my hardware to my P35-DS3L backup system and everything works fine on the P35.

PITA? You betcha!!!
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would call in and talk to them directly for your second RMA if you go that route, maybe then they could send you a different board or newer model if they will understand you have tried everything already.

You may also be able to talk them into testing with your hardware instead, but of course then you would have to send them everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I would call in and talk to them directly for your second RMA if you go that route, maybe then they could send you a different board or newer model if they will understand you have tried everything already.

You may also be able to talk them into testing with your hardware instead, but of course then you would have to send them everything.
    Ok, so I dialed in Gigabyte's Service Center Telephone # (1-626-8549338), but I can't get to anyone. It is probably because it is memorial day.

I would greatly appreciate if you called in and talked to them directly. At this point I feel as though I should send you the board.

To be real honest if I could get a different board back I'd rather have a microATX motherboard. A GA-G41M-ES2L ($57) would really make me happy. I've been wanting to put together a SFF/HTPC system.

Ya they are probably closed today.

If you tell them you want a smaller and cheaper board, they might just send you one because that would save them money. See what they have to say tomorrow.

If I RMA'd the board they would send it back to me as well saying it works I bet, since they did that to you. It may just be the CPU, have you tested with other CPU's like 8400?

Yeah, I tested with an E8400 C0 stepping. I got the same results with the E8400.

Ahh, Hmm. I ask that because that's what CPU they likely used in testing the board.

Not sure what this would be then since they said it was fine, I doubt it could be PSU or GFX card. Does it act the same without any hard drives connected? You could test in a "Live" CD system

Yeah, no hard drives were connected when I tried it last with those 2 different power supplies.

Have you tested each memory slot as mentioned above by ProfJim? Might be a faulty slot causing issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Have you tested each memory slot as mentioned above by ProfJim? Might be a faulty slot causing issues.
    Yes, I got around to doing this. I got the same results.

The board has something wrong, plain and simple. I would like to get it replaced.

I'm sorry but I'm done trying anything else with this board, I know it's bad. I'm looking forward to hearing what a Gigabyte employee has to say to me on the phone tomorrow.

I'm tired of beating around the bush - Replace this defective board... Just tell me a yes or a no - Don't make me have to send the board to you twice, the first time being sent back with no documentation on what was tried or used, or found out.

This is ridiculous... I'm guessing when Gigabyte received this board some schluff put a CPU in, fired the board on, made sure it POST... then voila, RMA complete, and sent back to you a week later. I'm convinced no testing of CPU Host Clock Control functionality was pursued.

I'm very sorry for all this you've been having to deal with!!

Please do let me know what they tell you when you call them. If you remember also please ask whom you are talking to, in case I end up talking this over with someone, that way I can let them know who handled your call.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information