Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Q9300 on EP43 overclocking probs

Default Q9300 on EP43 overclocking probs

Hey guys need some help. Is anyone else OCing a Q9xxx on a P43? I have a new Q9300 that I am trying to overclock on my EP43-UD3L. I'll list the detailed specs below. I had an E6300 (the 65nm Conroe not the 45nm Pentium) OCed to 2800 (7x400MHz) on this mobo, so I know it can AT LEAST do 400 FSB. The limit on the P43's FSB seems to be 420Mhz (could be a worse # w00t w00t). So i got the 9300 and Prime tested it at stock speeds (7.5x333) and volts, and it was prime stable for 8 hrs.

Here is where it gets annoying. Anything past 350Mhz FSB and Prime fails anywhere from secs to an hour. And anything past 375 and Prime causes the PC to lockup or the screen goes black within secs, and in either event i have to power cycle it via the power button. I've been running the RAM at 1:1 so it hasn't even exceeded 400 Mhz. The temp on the cores max out at 68C, and the temp on the NB heatsink (with a probe thermometer) maxes out around 51C, so I don't think its a heat issue. I've tried various voltage settings for the vcore, MCH, and dimms. The only way I was able to get it Prime stable while going past 350, was by upping the CPU termination to 1.5V and the cpu reference .995. With those settings it was prime stable for 6+ hours at 400FSB. But this seems awfully high to me, esp since those are the max settings in my BIOS. Is that too high, or is it fine?

Now i'm pretty sure the issue is defo the mobo. The reason I think this is that I had another 9300 which I exchanged for the current one. The reason I exchanged the original one for this one is that it too wouldn't OC stable past 350, so I was hoping it was just the CPU itself. Any ideas on what to try?Listed below is my specs:

Q9300 w/ Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
    EP43-UD3L rev 1.1 F8 bios
    4 x 1Gb OCZ SOE 6400 5-5-5-15 1.8V
    Xfx 9800GT
    Antec Basiq 500W

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Q9300 on EP43 overclocking probs

This isn't exactly overclockers MB so it is down to vcore, VTT, CPU Reference, and MCH Core, and of course different strap multipliers.
    Have you tried all CPU References with lower VTT?

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    This isn't exactly overclockers MB so it is down to vcore, VTT, CPU Reference, and MCH Core, and of course different strap multipliers.
    Have you tried all CPU References with lower VTT?
    Unfortunately i've found out the hard way how limited for OCing this mobo is (esp the FSB capping out around 420). i wished i had sprung the extra $$$ for an EP45. Lol anyone interested in trading? :P

i literally stepped thru each and every Term and ref setting, booting into Prime95 then watching it crap out after some time. Only stable run was 1.5V term and .995 reference. I also stepped thru many other settings, like CPU and MCH clock skew. I've seen where people post their BIOS settings from the template. I was hoping to find someone who had a working Q9x00 OCed on an EP43 UD3L, that could list what settings they use. Also I wanted to point out that I have also tried with only 2 out of the 4 sticks of RAM hoping that only one pair might make troubleshooting easier. Please any and all suggestions greatly appreciated.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Give us your full settings so we can better advise, could be something simple you are missing. Template in my signature

Thread Information