Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: possible defect on h55m-usb3 and problem with OCZ DDR3

a
    Last edited by kosystem; 03-22-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Default Re: possible defect on h55m-usb3 and problem with OCZ DDR3

Many thanks for your replies. I guess I'll try to push it with a peice of paper tonight, its thin enough to go around the pins and soft enough not to damage them. What's wrong with using a brush? I thought its a good idea to use one of my girlfriend's small makeup brushes :)
    Thanks for the pin map, that was cool. I'd say the dust was somewhere in the area of K/J/H - 30/29/28 - indeed those are listed as PWR/GND so it shouldn't affect the ram. I did makro on the camera, those pics are as good as it gets.
    I place the ram at the correct white slots, with settings 9-9-9-20, x10 to get 1333, all rest on Auto. I was able to do several memtest passes without errors, each stick individually and both together. Upon installing the OS, updating and even playing some Bad Company 2, I restarted the computer and wasn't able to boot with both sticks. With just one stick I can get into bios, but no matter what settings I use it keeps giving me plenty of memtest errors and Vista crashes BSOD before reaching the destop. I have tried many different combination of voltages from 1.5 to 1.66, QPI/Vtt as well, all ranges between 1.1 and 1.36. At this point I believe I have tried all possible safe bios setting combinations - sometimes I get more errors sometimes less, but always BSOD and no boot when 2 sticks inserted. The thing that kills me is that in the beginning I managed to run without errors with most settings on Auto and 2 sticks. By the way, is it normal that the default auto settings read the ram as 1066mhz, 7-7-7-16, 1.5v ???
    Not sure what is QLV, but the ram is on the supported list for the board - OCZ3G1333LV4GK - not sure why under the Dual-channel column is says "v". Anyway, I cannot borrow another stick, I was thinking of buying one 2gb stick of Kingston, also in the supported list KVR1333D3N9/2G, but I was hoping to be able eventually to run them all together so as not to throw any ram away. That is 2x2gb OCZ 1333 on one channel and 2gb Kingston 1333 on the second channel - do you think they will work together simultaneously? The OCZ is listed as 1.65v while the Kingston is at 1.5v? That could be a problem.
    It's interesting to note that Warren300 is running OCZ ram at 1800mhz. That confirms my several days of forum observations that no 1333 or 1666 Mhz OCZ ram seem to run properly on Gigabyte boards. I read reports of as much as 8 out 10 sticks failing. I mean it's not unusual to get 1 faulty stick, but 2 faulty sticks has to be quite a coincidence (or not). I think the OCZ support list of this motherboard needs to be seriously re-examined. I'm pretty sure if I RMA the ram I will get a new one that doesn't work - the OCZ forums are full of stories like that when it comes to Gigabyte boards.

i wouldnt have thought a soft bristle make up brush would harm anything?????? its too soft to damage/bend any pins???
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

So it was not 4-5th from the bottom, ahh well either way those all look to be unrelated to memory anyway though.

I said no brush because that is scary sounding, a small piece of cotton or anything can catch on those pins and break them off super easy. I guess brush just sounded like brushing something across it which you do not want to do. Of course you may have a brush that would be ok to do this with, but may people may not and it's just not wise I don't think to suggest that to anyone because they may not be aware of how frail the pins really are.

Some memory just does not get along with certain boards/BIOSes, this does not mean it wont in the future as they add memory compatibility and enhancements in future BIOSes. This is why they make a QVL, those are at least for sure tested and known to work, after they make it though they never update it and of course cannot test every stick of memory out there. So you may just have a set that simple does not work well with this board, your best bet is to read/google around and find out what you know others are using and pickup a set of that type. Please do not get another set you are unsure will work as then you may still be in the same situation and unsure if this issue or memory compatibility is causing the problem.

I just spoke to the store where I got the OCZ and exceptionally they agreed to refund. I went and bought 2gb of Kingston listed in the QVL. Will try it tonight, if it doesn't work then its surely a problem with the board. On Newegg most people have left very good reviews regarding that Kingston, as opposed to the OCZ where my specific model had mostly bad reviews - wish I'd seen it before buying. The ram was the only component of my upgrade which I didn't properly research, as I never had problems with OCZ before.

Nice! Since you picked up memory on the QVL we will soon know if this is causing an issue or not.

All right Kingston rules! The bios autodetected everything correctly, frequency, timings, voltage.. naturally no mem errors whatsoever.
    My specific model OCZ was also in the QLV list but that didn't help much.. I suggest you take it out, seriously.. for the sake of your customers, this is misleading information.
    The OCZ ram is designed to run on weird timings and voltages and I think that's the problem.
    This story tought me good lessons:
    1. Always check reviews, (at least on Newegg) no-matter how good you think your choice is
    2. If your bios does not detect the correct ram values on Auto - trash that ram immediately and get another brand.

I have just one last question - in the QLV list when it says "v" under the Dual-Channel column what does that mean? It's confusing since on some models it says "dual channel" on others is says "v". Does "v" mean that it doesn't work in dual channel mode or what? The Kingston I got is listed under "v".

Many thanks.

Ya the QVL kind a sucks, but I always suggest it to anyone not sure or whom does not like my suggestions as those specific models in the QVL are tested to work.

Ohh, your's was in the QVL? Ya, maybe they changed the IC chips in that model, after Gigabyte tested it and approved it for the QVL. Auto does not always get correct values, this is no reason to not use something. Auto sets JEDEC Standards, if yours match then all that means is you bought a set with standards that match the normal JEDEC ones is all.

About "V", I am not sure, I'll go look now and edit back

V looks to mean, tested, as in a checkmark or positive
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-24-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Thanks

Anytime!

So everything still running smoothly? If so great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information