Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: possible defect on h55m-usb3 and problem with OCZ DDR3

Default possible defect on h55m-usb3 and problem with OCZ DDR3

I just bought a new board. Upon unpacking and before putting the processor in I saw a small glare in the processor socket and decided to make a picture that I can zoom. From all apprearances it seems like a scratch and maybe one of the pins is missing. Can somebody please confirm? I did not get any processor erros however I'm having major problems with 2x2gb ddr3 OCZ sticks at 1333mhz. One of the sticks cannot boot while the other one lets me access the bios but fails memtests badly. From the OCZ support forums I got that 3 out 4 ddr3 OCZ sticks do not work on Gigabyte motherboards. I was planning to buy a different brand of ram but now I'm not sure whether there is a problem with the board as well? Should I RMA?
    Thanks for your help.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: possible defect on h55m-usb3 and problem with OCZ DDR3

That to me looks like a melted CPU Socket Pin, have you overclocked this board at all?

I would contact Gigabyte directly or RMA from the place you bought it if you still can, if it came to you that way.

Can you post a few more pictures from different angles?

This is a slightly different angle, but I think it clearly shows the that there is a pin missing. The picture was taken before putting a cpu on it. You can barely see it with a naked eye. It doesn't look like melted to me, more like an impact on the board which took away the pin, as the other pins around it seem perfectly fine. I am thinking of getting Kingston ram tomorrow to see if it gives any errors. Before the OCZ ram went crazy I was able to install Vista and even play some Bad Company 2..

be carefull you dont damage any other components using it in that state,i had a bent cpu pin too and i rma'd the board i didnt even attempt starting it up with the cpu installed,probably all your ram troubles are stemming from the damaged cpu socket
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

The pics are to fuzzy to say for sure, but it still looks like a melted pin or excess copper in the socket. I can see the tips of both affected pins, the lower most one in both images does look to also be bent out of place which could easily be fixed but I do not advise you mess with it as they are VERY Fragile.

Either way bent, melted, or excesss, RMA to the store now while you can if possible.

Changing memory is not going to help. Can you post a clear image? Don't blow it up/zoom, if it is clear I can do that myself.

False alarm with the board. I blew some air on the thing and it moved down one pin. At least all the pins seem in place! But now its stuck around the 5th pin down as seen on the pic (it used the stretch from the 4th to the 3rd on its right on the previous pics). Any ideas how to remove it? It felt like some orange dust, light and sticky. Blowing at it more makes it tighten around the pin. It was under the protective plastic cover when unpacked and it seems different than regular home dust. I guess I need to pull it out with something very thin without breaking the pins. Could it be causing problems with the memory? Doesn't seem like short-circuit material, at most heating up a bit the pins, doesn't seem like big deal, so maybe its the ram that is faulty after all?
    here are links to the pics so the thread doesn't blow out..
    http://picskip.net/u/21035680.jpg
    http://picskip.net/u/21034691.jpg

Do you think I'll be able to run 2x1gb Kingston and 2x2gb OCZ (if I ever get back working modules) both in dual channel at 1333mhz? I'm tempted to test the board with a different ram, without spending too much money.
    thanks for your help

get a magnifying glass and either some tweezers or a sewing needle and try and lift it out,or maybe a very soft make up brush (BE CAREFULL THOUGH) and dont blame me if you damage anything further,and yh it could just be a faulty ram module....personally i would leave it alone,if its working then i dont think a bit of dust/lint will cause any problems as long as all the pins are touching the bottom of the cpu i wouldnt attempt removing it
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

they should run easily @1333mhz ,you just have a faulty module i think,my ocz run in dual channel with two sticks @1800mhz and tri channel 3sticks 1800mhz no problems
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Do NOT use a Brush, same on you warren!

I agree, get a magnifying glass and a bright lite. Then some fine point needle nose tweezers, or a thin needle and try to pull the material up or back from the pin. Be VERY Careful they are super fragile

I use these tweezers myself for pin work and other tiny jobs
    Sharp Tweezers, Visibility, 4.5 inch, No TW5C, Non-Magnetic SS: Widget Supply

Your images are just not very clear, do you have a macro setting on that camera? If so set it on and try that again. It does look like not the pins though, like you said you can now tell. Since it is not metallic right? I would think it may be ok to leave, and maybe you should so you don't damage the socket. I'd say try some other memory and see, then if the issue is the same you know this is affecting things. As far as I can see now, none of the pins look bent ot out of alignment so it could be faulty memory, incorrect settings, or somehow this is causing the problem.

You are using the correct memory slots right? With 2 sticks you must use the white slots

Ahh, you removed your other images! Now I can't tell where this pin is, was going to look it up on the datasheet and see if either is involved with memory. Is that on the bottom of the socket 4+5 pin from the bottom (Stuck on 4th)? 17th from the left I can see clearly though.

I believe it is the bottom from the pin 1 alignment corner of the socket, so I checked the datasheet and this is what I see

http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/322164.pdf

So I think it could be your memory itself, or your settings. Can you borrow any other memory? Is your ram on the QVL? What's the exact model I will check if you are unsure

Have you set your own QPI/Vtt and ram voltages?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information