Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Power Supply Issue and EP45-UD3P

Default Re: Possible Power Supply Issue and EP45-UD3P

I ran the test on the PSU... it powered up just fine, I plugged my board back in and made sure that I was using the right connectors for the main ATX (20 pins says MAIN and the other four say 24). Board powered up...

I only have one stick of RAM installed, only one gfx card and my system is still looping. Keep in mind this is my second board and this is the problem I had with the first one...

I kinda feel like i'm just wasting your guys' time and going in circles with this board... this just doesn't make sense to me.

This board most not support my hardware at all?

Last edited by kace; 03-25-2010 at 11:55 PM. Reason: took better photo

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

OK, so I am not sure what you have going on now?

It powers up now fully right? Then loops? If so, please clear your CMOS fully using the method I outline in post #2 here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Since this is your second board, and you had the same problem before, have you tested your hardware on another system to be sure each piece works? You need to test your ram, CPU, and GFX Card. And now that I mention GFX, do you have another such as a old PCI card or cheap newer PCIE? I ask because the issue may be the X1800 (Or just the BIOS installed as of now does not support it possibly)

Sorry I did not think of this before either, but your board does not support that CPU until BIOS FB and it may have shipped to you with FA installed

So, no, we are not going in circles. This all has to be done and thought out so you can solve your issue, that's why we're here.

So more testing, and hopefully you have some other hardware you can use or borrow for testing and such. If not you may have a rough time trying to get this going, as I really think you may need a different GFX card and or possibly a different CPU so you can update your BIOS.

*Edit*

Hey! Do you have a case speaker connected? If so what is the error beep while it loops? If you don't please find one, look in old PC's around the house, friends PC's, neighbors, ect.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-26-2010 at 01:26 PM.

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

You should try your single memory stick booting with each of your memory modules in slot #1 and possibly slot #2 to help rule out the possibility of a defective memory stick or memory slot.
    Before swapping memory:
    1) turn off your system
    2) turn of your psu using the psu on/off switch at the rear of your computer
    3) press and hold the front on/off switch for 10 seconds to discharge the residual electrical charge in your system

Definitely hook up a case speaker to your motherboard.
    Performing an extended CMOS clear has helped get many systems working.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

Any update or progress with this? Just checkin in as I make my rounds

sorry for the delay.. haven't touched my computer in a day or two. this whole time away from it though i have it on an extended cmos clear... battery removed, jumpers in place.

i first removed the jumpers, put the battery back in, only one memory module installed, and for the heck of it installed my slave gfx card (other one is crossfire master card).

still cycles

discharged the system like profjim instructed and tried moving the memory module to the other slots.

still cycles

discharged again, tried another module. nothing.

this board is simply not going to work for me... i'm stuck with it too, the 30 days has passed to return it.

You can RMA with Gigabyte, should only take 2-3 weeks to get a board back to you.

Since you live in CA, you may even live close enough to RMA in person with them. Let me know if you need the info to setup a RMA

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You can RMA with Gigabyte, should only take 2-3 weeks to get a board back to you.

Since you live in CA, you may even live close enough to RMA in person with them. Let me know if you need the info to setup a RMA
    I really appreciate you taking the time to help find a solution for me. Same goes to profjim.

Is it safe to assume we're all out of options to get this board to work?

I also have noticed that this board is no longer available through newegg...
    Last edited by kace; 03-29-2010 at 02:31 AM.

Yes, I think so. Without me personally having the board to mess with, I don't think you have any other options unless you have different hardware for further testing.

Did you buy Newegg's protection plan? Just checking, because if you did they will send you something brand new, otherwise you would have to RMA with Gigabyte.
    Unavailable at Newegg just means they do not have stock right now, that's all

There is one thing you can try still, but it may not help if you dont have other hardware to test with, I mean if some part of your hardware is the cause you wont know if this would fix it or not. You could short the MAIN BIOS making the backup one kick in, but I would only do that if you know your hardware is fully working. Can you test your hardware (CPU, GFX, RAM) in another system? If you can and it all works, let me know if you want the info on shorting the MAIN BIOS chip. It is easy, fairly safe, and has saved MANY boards from RMA.

Hey, since we originally thought this to be a PSU issue, can you test that PSU on another system or board? I know you shorted it and found it to work, but that does not always mean it will fire up a motherboard. If you can please test this PSU in another system, or test another PSU in your's.

And you never replied about the case speaker, do you have one connected and if so what error beeps do you get if any? If you don't have one connected, please find one in an old computer or borrow one for a bit to test with.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 03-29-2010 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, I think so. Without me personally having the board to mess with, I don't think you have any other options unless you have different hardware for further testing.

Did you buy Newegg's protection plan? Just checking, because if you did they will send you something brand new, otherwise you would have to RMA with Gigabyte.
    Unavailable at Newegg just means they do not have stock right now, that's all

There is one thing you can try still, but it may not help if you dont have other hardware to test with, I mean if some part of your hardware is the cause you wont know if this would fix it or not. You could short the MAIN BIOS making the backup one kick in, but I would only do that if you know your hardware is fully working. Can you test your hardware (CPU, GFX, RAM) in another system? If you can and it all works, let me know if you want the info on shorting the MAIN BIOS chip. It is easy, fairly safe, and has saved MANY boards from RMA.

Hey, since we originally thought this to be a PSU issue, can you test that PSU on another system or board? I know you shorted it and found it to work, but that does not always mean it will fire up a motherboard. If you can please test this PSU in another system, or test another PSU in your's.

And you never replied about the case speaker, do you have one connected and if so what error beeps do you get if any? If you don't have one connected, please find one in an old computer or borrow one for a bit to test with.
    I didn't purchase the protection plan. You asked if I have tested the hardware in another system, I actually hooked everything back up to my ASUS board and am using it now. Everything is working perfectly. I hooked up my old machine because I thought maybe there was absolutely no hope left in this board and I got tired of not using my desktop.

If you read the reviews on newegg about my board, Other people have not only had the same problem... but have RMA'd and received yet another one that does the same thing.

What exactly would shorting the main bios do...and what is the process of doing this? Could doing this really make the board work?

About the PSU, It is working perfectly in my old system right now as I type this, I have been asking some people I know if they could lend me one. I don't really have any close friends that build computers but I'm going to keep asking... since my 30 days are up :(

As for the internal speaker, there is a desktop downstairs in my apartment that has a Pentium III, I cracked it open to jack the speaker out of it but it does not have one... I will keep looking for one of those as well.

Newegg reviews are more than half by noobs and people who by hardware that is known to not work together, so they can be ignored.

Your hardware works and you know it because you used it for some time. So if you RMA you will get a working board back, for sure.

Shorting the MAIN BIOS makes the backup BIOS kick in and recover to the MAIN BIOS, thus allowing the board to start again. This is how Dual BIOS is supposed to work, but sometimes it fails and wont recover. This just makes that happen manually. Of course if the problem is not a failed MAIN BIOS, nothing will happen and it still will not start.

Please try to find a case speaker somewhere, go to your neighbors/friends. I'd just like to see if you can get an error beep before I tell you how to short the BIOS. It is easy, might be scary to you though, but it is simple and works fast. I have done it myself several times, and MANY users here have used it to save themselves from a RMA. If you don't want to wait on getting a speaker, which I'd rather you did, then let me know and I will give you the info to short the BIOS and see if that can get you going. If it does not you will need to RMA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information