Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible Power Supply Issue and EP45-UD3P

Default Possible Power Supply Issue and EP45-UD3P

Hello everyone. I am in the process of upgrading my rig to a gigabyte board. I have posted before about this board boot cycling on me and still haven't found a solution. I am starting to think that it may be the power supply. The board will NOT turn on if all 24 ATX pins are installed... only with 20 pins. It's strange because this PSU is only 2 years old and worked perfectly with my ASUS board with all the specs below!

Now as stated before, I have posted about this board cycling and you guys were more than helpful trying to find a solution for me but I tried them all and ended up doing an RMA on the board.

Specs are as follows:
    Board: Gigabyte EP45-UD3P Rev: 1.6
    CPU: Pentium D 830 3.0ghz
    CPU Cooler: Zalman copper cooler (forgot model)
    RAM: OCZ Gold DDR2 667 4x1gb
    GFX: Dual ATI Radeon x1800xt 512mb
    PSU: OCZ GameXStream 700w
    Case: Antec nine hundred

Thank you all for your continued support on my problem... I really appreciate your time!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Possible Power Supply Issue and EP45-UD3P

Yes, sounds like your PSU is not good enough or is failing. You should be able to use the 24pin, and it is suggested. Sounds like you need to RMA that PSU because 700W should be plenty, sounds faulty to me.

I would advise you not continue to try and use this PSU, leave the system alone until you have a better PSU. I say that because if you continue to mess with it, and the PSU does fail on you, it may take most of your other hardware along with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Yes, sounds like your PSU is not good enough or is failing. You should be able to use the 24pin, and it is suggested. Sounds like you need to RMA that PSU because 700W should be plenty, sounds faulty to me.

I would advise you not continue to try and use this PSU, leave the system alone until you have a better PSU. I say that because if you continue to mess with it, and the PSU does fail on you, it may take most of your other hardware along with it.

I would RMA it if I could but it's 2 years old already so I suppose there is no longer any type of warranty left on it.... I will just have to find a new one.

I will take your advice and stop using this PSU

Thank you for your prompt reply

There is a 3 year warranty on that PSU, do you need me to give you the warranty page, if so I can find it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    There is a 3 year warranty on that PSU, do you need me to give you the warranty page, if so I can find it for you.
    Really? I thought it only had 1 year... 2 year warranty tops.

I would really appreciate it if you provided me the information!

I have contacted OCZ about an RMA for my PSU. They replied by saying I have a short somewhere and I should perform a PSU test by unplugging everything and shorting it to see if it turns on. I have not tried this yet and was curious to see what you had to say on the subject, seeing how you said my PSU is faulty.

Here is what they had to say (verbatim):

The problem you describe may be a short somewhere in the system. Double-check all of your connections and make sure your expansion cards are properly seated. If a card is tilted slightly, the pins can cross and cause a short.

Try testing your power supply by shorting the green and any black wire on your motherboard connector. Instructions on how to do so can be found here starting with #3: Power supplies and cooling devices from PC Power and Cooling, Inc..

Pay attention to the fan. If it starts and stops or just twitches, the short is probably inside of the power supply. We can replace your power supply with an RMA:

We are sorry about the issues you have experienced with your OCZ product.

At this point... I don't know what to do... this upgrade has been a total nightmare from the start and I am not sure where to turn...

profJim is online now Chief Munchkin + moderator

The psu test isn't really shorting your psu, you are connecting two of the wires (PS-ON and GND) to see if the psu will power up.
    It sounds like the problem is with the 4-pin main motherboard connector, and the problem could be with your psu or your motherboard. Some power supplies have more than one 4-pin connector. Are you using the 4-pin connector that is part of the same thick wire bundle for the 20-pin connector?

Can you borrow another psu (400 - 500 watts or greater) from a friend to test with?
    It's possible that your problem is caused by improper motherboard and cpu case mounting or contact. You can test for this by removing your motherboard from the computer case, and set it beside the computer case with the motherboard setting on a cardboard box or several books, with all the normal cables and wires connected.

Do you live near a local computer store? For a "modest" fee, they should be able to use a more sophisticated psu tester to test your psu.

Trouble shooting hardware problems can be a real PITA. Be patient. You should be able to have your system up and running soon.
    Q9650 @ 4.10GHz [9x456MHz]
    P35-DS4 [rev: 2.0] ~ Bios: F14
    4x2GB OCZ Reaper PC2-8500 1094MHz @5-5-5-15
    MSI N460GTX Hawk Talon Attack (1GB) video card <---- SLI ---->
    Seasonic SS-660XP2 80 Plus Platinum psu (660w)
    WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data)
    Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD (boot)
    SLI @ 16/4 works when running HyperSLI
    Cooler Master 120XL Seidon push/pull AIO cpu water cooling
    Cooler Master HAF XB computer case (RC-902XB-KKN1)
    Asus VH242H 24" monitor [1920x1080]
    MSI N460GTX Hawk (1GB) video card
    Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium
    HT|Omega Claro plus+ sound card
    CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD UPS
    E6300 (R0) @ 3.504GHz [8x438MHz] ~~ P35-DS3L [rev: 1.0] ~ Bios: F9 ~~ 4x2GB Kingston HyperX T1 PC2-8500, 876MHz @4-4-4-10
    Seasonic X650 80+ gold psu (650w) ~~ Xigmatek Balder HDT 1283 cpu cooler ~~ Cooler Master CM 690 case (RC-690-KKN1-GP)
    Samsung 830 128GB SSD MZ-7PC128B/WW (boot) ~~ WD Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB (data) ~~ ZM-MFC2 fan controller
    HT|Omega Striker 7.1 sound card ~~ Asus VH242H monitor [1920x1080] ~~ Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers
    win7 x64 sp1 Home Premium ~~ CyberPower CP1500PFCLCD U.P.S

+1 ^^

It just turns on your PSU making it think it is connected to a board is all. I do this all the time with mine to bleed my water cooling loops or with spare PSU's to test new products before I put them in my PC such as fans, controllers, ect.

I would have advised you to do this myself, but I didn't think it was needed as it clearly sounds faulty to me due to your 20/24 pin comments.

But OCZ is correct, you could have a short. You can either test the PSU as mentioned without anything else connected to it, or get your system out of the case and see if it works properly on a wooden table or cardboard box.

As said above, PLEASE BE SURE you are using the correct 4pin with the 20Pin. Be sure this is not a 4Pin ATX single CPU Wire, like the 4pin/8pin for the CPU board power connection. The cable should either be clearly marked ATX or CPU (Don't use), or would be bundled with the 24PIN and would snap/slide into it. They may not mark them, I have not used thier PSU's so not sure. I do see this PSU has 4Pin/8Pin for CPU and 20/24 Pin for board, so be sure you are using the right plug for 20+4, I assume you are though now that I look at the images of this PSU because they are bundled together in a sleeve correct? If so then you are good to go, and either you have a short or the PSU has failed, so you will need to test one way or the other as mentioned above.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information