Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Trim for Intel RAID is here!!!

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Trim for Intel RAID is here!!!

Please check post here for more info
    TRIM for raid is here ...(For Intel chipsets ;-) ) - XtremeSystems Forums

Driver from Intel
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/deta...&DwnldID=15251

Change log
    RAID enabled systems
    Redundant Array of Independent Drives (RAID) refers to multiple independent disks combined to form one logical drive. The main objective of this technology is to improve storage system performance, data protection, and increase fault-tolerance.
    This technology provides support for the following features:
    ■ Intel® Rapid Recover Technology
    This technology provides full data redundancy by copying data from a designated source drive (i.e., master disk) to a designated destination drive (i.e., recovery disk). Data updates of recovery volumes can be continuous or on request.
    ■ Intel® Rapid RAID
    This technology provides the ability to create RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10 volumes on desktop and mobile platforms. Data is distributed across two or more disks to provide data redundancy or to enhance data storage performance.
    ■ Intel® Matrix RAID Technology
    This technology allows two independent RAID volumes to be created on a single array. The first volume occupies part of the array, leaving space for the second volume. The array may consist of two to six SATA disks depending on the volume types.
    ■ Volume migration
    This feature provides support for converting system data into a high-performance or protection RAID configuration.
    ■ Volume size increase
    This feature allows you to increase the data storage capacity of a volume by utilizing 100% of the available array space or by adding one or more SATA disk to an existing volume.
    Our application also provides support for the following features:
    • Password-protected disks
    This feature provides high-level security and protection for the data on your disks with a password, denying access from any unauthorized user.
    • Trim (Microsoft Windows 7* only)
    This feature provides support for solid state disks (SSDs) that meet the ATA-8 protocol requirements. This feature optimizes write operations, helps devices reduce wear, and maintains unused storage area on devices as large as possible.

Default Re: Trim for Intel RAID is here!!!

A welcomed addition. :-)

(Or would be, if my chip didn't have "AMD" written on it ...)

If I don't run RAID, but run an SSD, do I still want to install this?
    I7 - 2600K
    Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H (bios F20e mod)
    G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)
    Sapphire 7970
    ASUS XONAR DX
    Windows 8.1 64 bit

Are you running single member RAID (One disk RAID)? If so yes, if not you would need to change some registry items and your BIOS before switching to single member RAID and installing the driver.

Also, if you installed the OS with the BIOS set to IDE and not AHCI or RAID and then try to switch via Registry tweaks, this can cause problems or degrade the performance of your drive. (I only know this because I had a 2 week struggle with the modes for the SATA controllers)
    What brand/model SSD do you have? If it's an OCZ drive, check out their Support forums here:
    OCZ Forum
    The third section down deals with the various SSD models. I have a Vertex Turbo and when I updated the FW to v1.5 OCZ has built in TRIM and GC (garbage collection) into the firmware, so maintenance is basically on auto-pilot. They do recommend that you log off or leave the machine in an Idle state for the processes to run.
    I also purchased Diskeeper with the Hyperfast module for SSD optimization and daily benchmark tests indicate the drive is reading/writing at pretty much rated speeds.
    Now I can't wait to score another one and switch over to RAID-0 for the OS and apps. :)

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

I have not seen any issues when switching to a edited Registry entry, nor have I heard anyone else mention issues due to this. It may have just been something else causing the issue for you, and you thought it was that due to the timing of the problem? Or you got an edit wrong possibly?

Edit is as follows, for Windows Vista and 7 ONLY

Enable switching between all IDE/AHCI/RAID modes by changing "Start" Values in these keys to 0

Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Msahci\Start
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Pciide\Start  
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorV\Start

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I have not seen any issues when switching to a edited Registry entry, nor have I heard anyone else mention issues due to this. It may have just been something else causing the issue for you, and you thought it was that due to the timing of the problem? Or you got an edit wrong possibly?

Edit is as follows, for Windows Vista and 7 ONLY
    My bad...although I certainly wasn't meaning to contradict any advice.
    I went back over to OCZ and re-read some of the threads I was reading when I had issues with this, and they deal more with making sure you're in AHCI mode on install. It was a frustrating couple of weeks with many late nights so I'm not surprised that my memory has lapsed.
    Sorry for the mis-information!

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
    ASUS Maximus Extreme Z
    i7Core 2600k Sandy Bridge
    Swiftech H20-X20 Edge HD
    16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    (5) 120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSDs
    Evga GeForce GTX 580
    Ultra X4 1600W PSU
    Lite On BD Burner
    ASUS CD/DVDRW
    Creative XFi Titanium Fatal1ty Champ
    Klipsch Pro Media 5.1
    Ultra Aluminus Card Reader, eSATA, USB3.0
    Drobo (4Bay) 6TB
    Icy Dock (4Bay) 1.5TB
    Logitech G19 Keyboard
    Cyborg RAT-9 Mouse

No problem, I just wanted to be sure no one was confused or concerned later that may read this as it is very simple to change over and problem free.

Thread Information