Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X58-UD7 sata and memory setup advice.

Default X58-UD7 sata and memory setup advice.

Hi,

In a couple of days my i7 930 proc arrives and I have my x58-ud7 board waiting in the box for me. I just wanted to ask a few questions before I get my screwdriver out.

On my current board (a GA-P45-DS5) there are 10 sata ports, 4 of which are gsata ports. When the gsata ports are enabled the hard drive led is on all the time unless I don't install the drivers and if I do I can only use 2 of them unless I use them for RAID. Hence they are disabled and I use a pci to sata card instead. Does the same apply to the x58-ud7? Or can I use all of the ports, at the same time regardless of whether they are in RAID or IDE mode?

Also, I have 2 western digital velicorapter 1000rpm 300gb set up with raid 0 which I use for my OS and then 6 sata 2 7200rpm 1tb drives for storage (not raid) and finally 2 sata optical drives, one blu-ray rw and the other dvd-rw. This makes 10 sata drives. Can I install them all on the motherboard at the same time and if so which ports woud be the best for which drives?

Finally, I have 6gb (3x2gb) ddr3 corsair dominator pc3-16000c8 2000mhz triple channel memory waiting to be put in this system too. Can I just drop this in my system (slots 1, 3, and 5 if I understood the manual correctly) or do I have to adjust anything in the bios too?

Sorry about the long question but I've saved up for a long to get the bits for this system and I want to get it right

Thanks

Flo

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X58-UD7 sata and memory setup advice.

Hi Flo, sucks to have something so nice sitting around in a box don't it! I feel for ya!

In UD7 you will be able to have those enabled, and not installl drivers for them if you do not wish to. You will also be able to choose IDE/AHCI/RAID as well, separately from also being able to enable/disable the eSATA ports controlled by the same chip and set the mode for those as well.

You will be able to enable or disable either of them in sets (eSATA, or J.Micron) and set each ones modes separately, so it looks like Gigabyte listened to it's customers on that one. I know the previous Gen. Boards only allowed this on the few initial BIOSes and later allowed only RAID and recieved many complaints in regards to that decision. This is all in the manual, if you have not had a chance to look at yours yet be sure to check out your options, starting on page 57.

Yes, you should be able to use all of your drives, but I am not sure which you would want to use on the SATA 6BG/s Ports though? Maybe two of your storage drives as that would be easiest I think, or your Blue ray/DVD, not sure, or you could also put those on the J.Micron all up to you. I do think for now though the Intel Controller is stronger for RAID. And of course you have the two additional eSATA ports in the rear, so if you have a external case or dock you could also setup some storage that way as well.

I suggest the following order/ports for most of your drives:
    OS RAID
    1. Raptor 1
    2. Raptor 2

3. Storage 1TB
    4. Storage 1TB
    5. Storage 1TB Or Blue Ray
    6. Storage 1TB Or DVD

J.Micron
    7. Storage 1TB Or Blue Ray
    8. Storage 1TB Or DVD

Marvell
    9. Storage 1TB or Blue Ray
    10. Storage 1TB Or DVD

Yes, just put all of your memory in at once, in the white slots 1, 3, 5 (2, 4, 6 physical/white). You will need to adjust several things in the BIOS to setup your memory speed, and you may not be able to run 2000Mhz 24/7 as it will require a lot of voltages so don't expect that, and don't expect it to be easy to setup to 2000Mhz for benchmarking either as it will take you some getting used to the board before you will be able to know how to do that.

Good luck with the setup, and post back anytime if you need more help with anything!

Hi,

Thanks for the response, noob question coming though...

What will I need to adjust in the bios to setup the memory?

I have no intentions of overclocking etc, I just want a stable system thats going to last me a while

tia Flo

Have you used X58 at all? If not, you have a lot to learn and will need to find a guide or two to look through before you get going as X58 is nothing like older 775 based motherboards.

I'll help you out once you get setup, for now I would just confuse you I think if I gave you settings.

Mainly you will need to set your Uncore, memory multi, QPI/Vtt voltage and ram voltage of course.

Thanks for that,

No, I haven't used an x58 before. A friend had one set up and I took a quick look and realised just how different it is, hence the questions. I've been in IT for 15 years and like to think I know my way round a system but some of the stuff in the bios had no meaning to me whatsoever. I just used to put the stuff on the board and after changing settings like boot priority etc away I went. That's why I thought it best to ask questions first. I don't fancy blowing up my first motherboard in 15 years, how embarressing would that be? lol

This all kinda of reminds me of the early pentium days when you had to set the cpu clock ratio and frequency on every system with jumpers on the board, proper old school! (I think I'm showing my age here...)

Do you know any good resources for guides to get me started?

Flo

Yes, it is a bit different. It will take you some time to get used to, since you are in IT, and have used computers for a long time, that will make things a bit easier on you though.

You wont blow anything up, as long as you don't use crazy voltages. Ya, I remember that as well, makes us both old school!

Hmm, there is many guides out there but not many current ones for Gigabyte specifically. Here is a PDF linked here to show you a little about Gigabyte X58 in general but do not follow the guide when you get started in regards to voltage values
    http://images.tweaktown.com/imageban...2.12_(ENG).pdf

Here is one as well
    Guide to Overclocking the Core I7 920 to 4.0ghz - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

If you google X58 overclock guide you will find a few more

Some good tips by Eva2000 here (not Gigabyte board though but applies in general)
    Initial notes, findings and tips DFI UT X58-T3EH8 - i4memory.com

And here (not Gigabyte board though)
    Intel Core i7 920 Overclocking Introduction Guide on X58 - i4memory.com

Thanks very much for taking the time to answer these questions. I first came across this forum when I had the issues with the gsata controller on my old board a couple of years ago and you were just as helpful then. It's nice to know that continual good support is available seeing as I've always said that a product is only as good as it's support and since I had my first Gigabyte board 6 years ago I've never had anything but Gigabyte and indeed put them in all the new systems that I build for people.

I shall have a look at those guides and now I know what I'm looking for I'm sure I'll spend many a happy hour reading others too!

Thaanks for your help again and no doubt I'll be back in touch!

Flo

Anytime, that's why I am here!

Glad to see you made it back to the forum, I thought the name looked a little familiar. I try my best to keep up around here, as often as a can. I agree, without support many products don't seem as nice.

Well good luck reading up on X58, and of course setting up your new system too! Once you get going I can help you with any issues you might have, so post back anytime!

Talk to ya soon, good luck with the build! You will love X58 performance!!!

Hi again,

Remember when you said you'd help me if I needed? Guess what? lol

The system runs fine at first but then it gets slower and slower and won't load windows. When the machine reboots it tells me that over clocking can cause drive errors but I haven't overclocked anything, I'm just assuming the memory is running at te wrong speed.

Help, where do I go, what do I change?

tai Flo

go in bios and set your ram multiplier manually ie 8x 10x 12 x untill it gives you your correct ram speed or near to it without goin over rams rated speed...it comes under spd system memory multiplier
    Last edited by warren300; 03-26-2010 at 02:33 AM.
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information