Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gigabyte ga-p55-ud4 and Wake On Lan

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Gigabyte ga-p55-ud4 and Wake On Lan

Quote Originally Posted by johnmerrick View Post
    Depicus

just woke it up for the first time using the above app. but remote desktop and real vnc don't work,
    How do you mean don't work? Don't wake up or just do not do what they intend to?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by johnmerrick View Post
    ok so i have

1. flashed bios with q-flash
    2. loaded optimized defaults. pme event wake up is enabled by default.
    3. changed a couple of defaults (enabled quick boot and halt on no errors)
    4. done a direct test with the cable plugged directly into the router.

no joy! not waking on Lan.

This may be the issue, please disable and test again and set the halt setting on default as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    How do you mean don't work? Don't wake up or just do not do what they intend to?
    they don't wake it up whereas that little gui app wakes it instantly.

Another problem i have now encountered is that when the PC wakes from sleep mode only the main Hard Drive is recognised. The other internal HD disappears and so does an external one which then means i have to re do all my share settings for the media server. I think this is something to do with the settings on windows 7 power management and not the bios though. What is the best kind of sleep for a pc? 'sleep', 'Hybrid' or 'hibernate'?

To be honest, i'm happy if this app can wake the pc although it would be nice to find out why the remote desktop can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    This may be the issue, please disable and test again and set the halt setting on default as well.
    the problem with this is i need 'halt' on no errors as i am using the pc for streaming media. It is also attached to my TV via HDMI so i have monitor access, but if it ever needs rebooting and then halts during a boot up then i need to plug in a keyboard and mouse to clear the problem. I'm trying to set it up so it looks after itself and if my family want to access it they can without any hassle.

The thing is the new app i found woke the pc with those settings enabled. Although i will re try with quick boot 'disabled' tonight and then try remote desktop.

let's just say i'm 'getting there'. the packets are being 'sent'!!

Does remote desktop suppose to send WOL packets at all?

apparently yes. someone from another forum wakes his pc via his laptop and starts streaming. He does have to click remote desktop twice though.

if it does you'd have to enter the MAC address somewhere. I am quite convinced it does not.
    Maybe this person is not using Microsoft's remote desktop, or maybe there is another reason his computer wake up.
    Just use the application and remote desktop.
    BTW have you made the wakeup test over the internet or just local network?

I think you are probably right. i tested it on my local network only because i don't need to wake it externally. It's actually easier to configure real vnc to do that if needed.

As for sleep modes i may have to abandon it completely if i can't fix the new hdd waking problem. i have a hotfix to apply to try and fix that. if not i could try leaving the hdd's on permanently.

WOL packets would wake the pc up from S5(shutdown) too, so shutdown or hibernation are also an option.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, the hard drive issues is likely a setting in windows advanced power options for the plan you are using.

So did you direct test yet or not, sorry not sure since you mention various things since I last replied.

I just wanted you to disable the halt setting for now, for testing purposes is all, just to rule it out. Same applies to quick boot.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information