Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Max HDD Size on P45 boards

Default Max HDD Size on P45 boards

Can anyone tell me what the max harddrive size supported by the P45 boards?

Between myself and several of my friends and co-workers we have five GA-EP45-UD3P,L and R's.
    We are all interested in getting new harddrives and have heard that these boards do not support drives greater than 1TB. Is this true?

Thank you all.

Default Re: Max HDD Size on P45 boards

Where did you hear such claim from?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That is not true at all, there is no disk size limit for P45. The only limitation is a 2TB per partition or volume for a boot drive in that is imposed by the OS, and or an 2TB limit for a RAID array limit in 32 bit XP, other than that there is none.

If you need a storage array larger than 2TB, you need a GPT-compliant OS which 32 bit XP is not. The 2tb boot volume limit still applies with any OS, where a GPT array is not bootable.

The motherboard itself does not impose any limits, I have seen 8TB RAID arrays built within the OS using the Matrix program

Quote Originally Posted by Ruwen View Post
    Can anyone tell me what the max harddrive size supported by the P45 boards?

Between myself and several of my friends and co-workers we have five GA-EP45-UD3P,L and R's.
    We are all interested in getting new harddrives and have heard that these boards do not support drives greater than 1TB. Is this true?

Thank you all.
    It was actually GIGABYTE Support. One of my co-workers has the GA-EP45-UD3L and bought a 2TB drive last week. The BIOS only recognizes 1TB. He flashed the mobo with the latest update hoping that would fix it but it did not. He then called GIGABYTE Support who quite rudely said, "I can't help you but I'll listen to your problem." In the end they insisted that he had to buy a new X58 board.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    ... I have seen 8TB RAID arrays built within the OS using the Matrix program
    I assume that's with 4 2TB drives?

Yes, with 4 drives.

You will be fine with 2T drives as I said above. I am not sure what the problem is with your co-worker, but it could be the drive itself if the BIOS is not recognizing it properly. Is he using optimized defaults?

I am the "co-worker". Here is the rundown of what happened.

I was running a GA-P35-DS3L (rev2.0) mobo and I purchased a new WD 2TB HD (WD:20EARS). When I installed the HD, windows was only seeing this as a 1TB drive. I then started reading various forums and found that people were saying it could be a limitation of the mobo and to check what it registered as in the CMOS.

I did this and found that it was 1TB. I updated the bios to the newest release but it still showed as 1TB. I took the next step of contacting Gigabyte support where they told me that it is an older chipset and that it was not supported for that mobo and that I needed an X58 chipset board.

I was a bit annoyed so I got off the phone. After a couple hours I called back and spoke with sales asking which mobo did they have that I could buy that would support a 2TB HD. They asked what I was using now and they stated that the EP45-UD3L mobo would support the 2TB drive.

I made the mistake of believing sales as I purchased the board and it too only recognized as 1TB. I verified again that I had the latest bios and that I had optimized defaults loaded.

At this point, I again contacted support and they told me I should not have done this and that if Support didn't tell them that then it wasnt true. They again insisted I needed an x58 board. I stated that I had seen people online talking about having 2TB drives and not x58 boards. I was told that I "could complain all I wanted that they were just going to sit there and listen". Needless to say I was done with that conversation.

I sent a follow-up email to support hoping someone else would answer the question and here is the exact response I received:

"Dear customer,
    We are sorry, EP45-UD3L was old chipset board support up to 1TB SATA drive, 2TB is new type drive has not been validate on this board, it may need newer bios update to support. please check back with us 2 weeks later. "

You stated you have seen 8TB raids on these boards but have you seen a 2TB drive on this board not in a raid configuration? I did not ask support about using this drive in RAID.

Ahh, those are not very helpful support people you spoke with! Sorry to hear you had such a hassle with them! Was this the US offices?

Now, there may be a difference in the UD3L (L Meaning Budget and Non ICH10R- RAID Capable), and other models. Meaning a difference between ICH10 and ICH10R, but I don't think there is when it comes to this aspect of things.

Your board wont do RAID so that would be out of the question anyway. Yes, I have seen many users with ICH10R using 2TB drives. ICH10 not so much, but only because less people buy the budget boards.

X58 and P45 use the same chipset ICH10R, which is where this, if any, limitation would lie. So there would be no difference between X58 and P45 in regards to this, other than maybe the tested more 2TB Drives on X58 since it is newer and P45 is older.

I will go dig up some information for you at Intel, this is where all your answers would come from. You might get a better reply from them if you want to call them up. I'll go see if I can find you the disk support data for ICH10 right now, I'll post back when I find it.

ICH10 being used with 2T Drives here
    Print Page - Real World Experience with Seagate 2T drive?

Just thought I would add that in, not a discussion of sizes though just performance. Off to Intel, be back in a few

Are you sure there is no jumper on the drive limiting the size or speed? Check and if so please remove.

Also, are you connecting the drive to the Intel controller ports (Yellow)? This is a must.

System may need to be AHCI, not sure on that though. Are you using AHCI?

Sounds like the drive may actually be faulty to me really, because it should at least show 1.5T if there was an issue, which there should not be really as the real 2T Limit that you hear about is 2.2T actually and is only imposed by the OS
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...68(WS.10).aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device...e/GPT_FAQ.mspx
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-01-2010 at 01:54 AM.

Sorry I can't find anything at Intel in regards to this, because it is a NON issue since P45/ICH10.

The only issues normally presented with 1.5-2TB drives are people having problems with making a 2TB Bootable partition is all. Please check this drive with the manufacturer tools in DOS, there is should say the exact size it appears to be and should be. While there also note the exact model in case you got shipped an incorrect drive.

You may need to speak with Seagate or WD, or whomever the manufacturer is. They will tell you that this should not present a problem and you may have a faulty drive or drive shipped with wrong spec/model on it. It should show 2TB especially in the BIOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information