Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: i7 930 / UD7 Overclocking advice

Default Re: i7 930 / UD7 Overclocking advice

Well i have an update to give, ive read alot about the chips preferring odd multi's rather than even's so though id test at 19x200 (3.8ghz)

Set linx running, and for the first time rather than saying it had failed (not sure what to change when it says that so......) it passed the 1st, went on the 2nd, passed that, went on to the 3rd.. and then i stopped it. Reason i stopped it is because im not trying to get stable at 3.8ghz though wanted to see if there was any difference with using an odd multiplier.

Im not sure how to get 4.0ghz at x21 multi and have my ram running at 1600mhz, to do it i need to set the ram multi to 10:0 but would that mean my uncore would be x2+1 still? That would be 21?! Guessing thats not going to work so will wait for your input.

Hopefully the above will give you some useful info to work off :)

Edit: As im not sure how to get 4.0ghz at 21x multi, i thought id try for 4.2ghz, straight away i got BSOD which was expected as i didnt raise the vcore, however my windows error info showed

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 2057

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: 3b
    BCP1: 00000000C0000005
    BCP2: FFFFF80002FCB29F
    BCP3: FFFFF8800C177E70
    BCP4: 0000000000000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 768_1

Its aobvious to me it was vcore but why dont i get the error codes like mentioned in this thread? Am i look in the right bit? :S

Edit 2: Upped the vcore and got another BSOD, this time managed to see the error code, and sure enough it was vcore, so upped it again one notch, until it stopped the BSOD, however by this point i had to stop linx after 1min 48 sec as id got to 85 degrees on one core.

Needed 1.3250v just not to crash.... well within the first 2mins anyway.... going back to 4.0ghz... do have a feeling its to do with the multi though, would be good to figure out how to get 4.0ghz at 19/21 multi and keep ram at 1600mhz as ive got a feeling that would solve my issues

If i use 190x21 that seems to pass linx, first test anyway... but memory is then at 1520mhz...

Edit 3: Odd multis seem to be more stable, though upon waking up today found out it made no difference as i still had the stupid warning screen grrrrrrr - If i turn my pc off, leave it a few mins, then turn it back on i DONT get the warning screen which is even more annoying bec its pointless me changing settings in the day as the pc ONLY ever shows the warning screen first thing in the morning, you can then reset as many times as you like it would seem with no warning screens

To summarize.... Linx ran but then stopped after 1st test... wasnt sure what this meant so needed your input before testing further. Then tested at odd multis which it liked :) though this morning when i get the warning screen i was still set at odd multis so even though it passed linx test, cold boot problem is still there...

Im thinking odd multis are going to be better, as long as i dont sacrafise the ram speed? Not sure how to get it from 1520mhz to 1600... Doesnt help the ram multis are only evens.

Have also read about some people having an issue with cool boots when manually setting the IOH core, id lower it to test but as the warning screen wont appear till the morning now.......
    Last edited by SB420; 04-03-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, that is right!

CPU Multi's that are odd work best, same applies with Uncore (But generally this one is not so persistent)

You would need to run 4.2Ghz if you want to use the x21 multi and have your ram at 1600 exactly. Running your memory at 1520 would be fine though too if you want to use 21x190, or you can try to get 19x210 going for 1680Mhz on the memory.

At 1520Mhz you may be able to use tighter timings, which would possibly be better anyway.

This warning screen thing, very odd to hear and stubborn! It should not happen always! Can you switch your CMOS battery to be sure this is not causing it somehow? I am not sure how it could, but you never know.

I have heard that too about IOH, tested myself and it did not matter after a certain Blck you always will have a double/triple false start so the board can run through checks to verify the overclock will boot. Of course I never have the red warning issue (Except when expected) so I can't say if that would help this for you or not though?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You would need to run 4.2Ghz if you want to use the x21 multi and have your ram at 1600 exactly. Running your memory at 1520 would be fine though too if you want to use 21x190, or you can try to get 19x210 going for 1680Mhz on the memory.

At 1520Mhz you may be able to use tighter timings, which would possibly be better anyway.
    4.2ghz caused me too much heat yesterday when testing, is 1680mhz ok for the ram? (19x210 )

This warning screen thing, very odd to hear and stubborn! It should not happen always! Can you switch your CMOS battery to be sure this is not causing it somehow? I am not sure how it could, but you never know.
    Dont have one to switch it with though both machines have the same behaviour. Its annoying because i can power down and power up all day long without that warning, its only in the morning once the pc has been off all night will i get the warning.

In the morning its always the same, turn power on, it powers up, completly powers down, powers back up... warning screen...

Assuming 1680mhz on the RAM is ok, im happy to make the changes and see if i can pass linx, not sure why you say tighter timings might be better at 1520? I know its only 80mhz diff to 1600mhz though would i notice a difference in gaming etc? (its a pity about the heat at 4.2ghz as it was me that stopped the tests due to heat rather than the computer)

Oh one last thing, what does it mean if linx says ended due to error? Its like it finished the 1st run but wouldnt start the 2nd, would that be the VTT?

Yes 1680 is ok for the memory! You may or may not be able to use spec timings though, but it's likely you can.

I'm actually using 1680 myself right now, with stock spec timings and don't have any issues, of course this memory can do 2000Mhz though too so not sure how yours will act but I think it would be fine.

Very odd, especially since both machines do it. Could be a memory compatibility problem? Do they both have the same memory, do you have any other DDR3 to test with?

Cold boot normal process would be (Overclocked that is) Power on, C1 soft cycle (Meaning not full power down), C1 Soft Cycle, and sometimes C1 cycle once more, then proceed with boot without warnings.

Tighter timings is very often faster, but it all depends on the speeds you are comparing too though. You wouldn't notice a difference between 1520 and 1680 even, only in benchmarks.

Could be Vcore or Vtt, it's hard to say when it errors like that.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-04-2010 at 01:23 AM.

I dont have other memory to test with im afraid and we're both using the same. Wish id got some 2000mhz ram now to be on the safe side incase i needed to oc...

What would you try first? You say tighter timings are faster, though im not so clued up on "timings" so if you want to shoot me some new config settings for the timings id be happy to try it, or i could just try at 1680mhz and see what happens

Well a lot of 1600 Memory will do 1800+ anyway, you just need to set looser timings and a higher QPI/Vtt voltage. I am sure you memory would do 1800+

Well I'd go with whichever you think is cooler (Temp wise) or better for your system. Either one would be fine really.

If you go with 1520, you can try lower timings like I said. If you need help with those let me know and I will tell you what you can try if you want. If so please post me an image of your SPD Tab in CPU-z

Which one would be better temp wise? Id prefer that, Guessing it would be the 1520mhz setup... is it best for me to attempt to make the changes first, test linx, and THEN tighten the timings or all in one go?

Well not sure, whichever one you had stable with the lower voltages. Which of course is probably the 21x190 anyway, as 210 Blck will probably require more voltage.

Ya get stable then you can work on timings, you may not be able to lower them much or at all I was just saying you might be able to. Like it stock spec is 1600Mhz @ 888-24, you may be able to run 1520Mhz @ 788-24 or 878-24 or 877-20, and so on.

ok may give it a try after ive tried a few more goes to get it stable at 200x20 as ideally thats what id prefer (well id prefer 4.2 but i cant handle the temps atm) seems sooooo close

Is annoying how i have to wait till the morning to see if i get the warning screen though

That x20 CPU multi can be very unstable and also cause you to have to use much more Vcore than you would at x21 or x19. Just FYI

Really? You can't shut it down and wait only five minutes or so?

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information