Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Missing BIOS settings and slow time to get through the BIOS POST screens?

Default Missing BIOS settings and slow time to get through the BIOS POST screens?

Greetings!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I have recently assembled a computer using the items listed in my signature below. Of primary import, for these questions, is the Motherboard, a Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev. 1.6) BIOS version: FB, as I donít really think my issues have anything to do with the other parts since they all involve the BIOS and the POST sequence.<o:p></o:p>
    So far everything appears to be working ok except I seem to be missing some BIOS options and the system seems to take a long time to get through the POST sequence.<o:p></o:p>
    The MB manual states that there are advanced BIOS options available for this MB by clicking ctrl + F1. Here is a quote from the PDF of the manual: <o:p></o:p>
    If you do not find the settings you want in the Main Menu or a submenu, press Ctrl + F1 to access more advanced options.<o:p></o:p>
    I also recall reading in a review, which I canít right now, that one of the reviewers little nits about this board was that you had to look in two different places to get all of the settings so I am reasonably sure that these advanced options should exist. <o:p></o:p>
    The problem is, when I click ctrl + F1 I do not get access to these advanced options. Instead it goes to a help page of some kind. <o:p></o:p>
    I have tried clicking ctrl + F1 when I am already in the BIOS, as the manual seems to suggest, and I have tried clicking ctrl + F1 as a way to access these advanced options when the computer is initially starting, and neither of these gets me to the advanced options. Where are my advanced options and how do I access them?<o:p></o:p>
    I have considered that my version of this board is revision 1.6 and that there are, or have been, revisions 1.0 and 1.1. I understand that the manual may well have been written for version 1.0 and never updated and I would guess that any reviews were probably done with revision 1.0 so it is possible that these advanced options have been removed from version 1.6, or that there is another way to access them. On the other hand, there could be something wrong with my board that prevents me from accessing the advanced options. So which is it? Can anybody give me the answer?<o:p></o:p>
    The other issue that I wonder about is it seems to take a long time for this computer to get through the BIOS POST process and start booting Windows.<o:p></o:p>
    When I first turn the computer on it starts, for just a few seconds, with the Gigabyte splash screen. So far so good. <o:p></o:p>
    Then it spends what seems like a long time doing what appears to be looking for disks connected to the Intel disk controller. It finally ends this process by holding for a few seconds with an option to press ctrl + I to access the configuration utility.<o:p></o:p>
    Next it moves on to a page where it seems to be looking for disks connected to the Gigabyte controller. It only spends a few seconds here and there is a setting in the BIOS to turn this controller off, which eliminates this step. I could do this since I have nothing connected to this controller, but it only spends a few seconds here.<o:p></o:p>
    Finally, it moves on to the final page where it appears to be looking for a lot of other controllers such as USB controllers, display controller, network controller and several others. It does not seem to spend a lot of time on this page.<o:p></o:p>
    Really, where it seems to spend the bulk of time is on the first page where it is looking for disks connected to the Intel controller. It seems like there should be some way to speed this process up a bit, especially the part where it pauses for several seconds to offer access to the disk configuration utility. I mean really, how often is one going to change the configuration of their disks? It seems silly to always be offered this option on every boot.<o:p></o:p>
    In other BIOSes I have looked at (not all that many by the way) it seems there was usually a way to choose a full POST test, or an abbreviated POST test, but that option does not seem to exist here. I canít help but wonder if there might be options to speed up the POST process and/or skip the disk configuration utility in these advanced options menus I canít seem to find? On the other hand, perhaps this is just a motherboard that takes a long time to POST.<o:p></o:p>
    Any thoughts? <o:p></o:p>
    My system:
    MOBO: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P (Rev. 1.6) BIOS version: FB
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
    Memory: 2X 2GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline PC2 6400, 4-4-4-12
    GPU: BFG GeForce 8800GT OC, 512MB GDDR3
    HDs: 2 Samsung Spinpoint F3, 1TB in RAID 0
    Power Supply: Ultra Xfinity 500 watt ATX
    O/S: Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Missing BIOS settings and slow time to get through the BIOS POST screens?

Press Ctrl+F1 in main BIOS screen, the screen will flash, meaning it worked, wether it will reveal options you could not see before is another question.
    Which setting is it that you are looking for and can't find?

Default Re: Missing BIOS settings and slow time to get through the BIOS POST screens?

Well, for starters I just want to see what is there. I may not be knowledgeable enough to say exactly what I am looking for at this point, but if there are other settings I would like to see them and have access to them.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    As I said, the manual says they are there and a reviewer said they were there, but perhaps none of this applies to rev. 1.6. I just donít know.
    I guess, if I am looking for anything specific it would be any settings that might decrease my POST time, which, as I explained above, seems quite long to me. Especially the first page that seems to deal with the Intel disk controller.
    I did, just now, reboot into the BIOS and press Ctrl + F1, as I have done many times before with the same result. The thing I had never noticed before is, as you said it would, the screen did flash once. Unfortunately, this did not seem to produce any new settings that I could identify.
    Ultimately I just want to know if there should be additional, advanced, settings available with this version of this motherboard and if so then is there a problem with my particular motherboard?
    Additionally I want to know if my, seemingly long, POST time is normal for this board, or if I might have a problem there. <o:p></o:p>
    My system:

Chike is offline Senior Member

If you do not have any IDE devices connected you can disable Onboard SATA/IDE Device in Integrated Peropherals.

If you do not have any IDE devices connected you can disable Onboard SATA/IDE Device in Integrated Peropherals.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    Well actually I knew about that. I mentioned it in my initial post. The thing is that screen, for lack of a better name I will call it the Gigabyte disk controller screen, really didnít take up much of the POST time. Only about 3 seconds. I went ahead and disabled it anyway. The bulk of the time is taken up by the Intel disk controller screen.<o:p></o:p>
    Perhaps it would help if I listed my POST times.<o:p></o:p>
    I find that with the Gigabyte disk controller, or the Onboard SATA/IDE Device as they call it in the BIOS, disabled my times are as follows:<o:p></o:p>
    Total time from pushing the start button until the Windows is loading screen comes up: 25 seconds.<o:p></o:p>
    Total time on the Gigabyte splash screen: 5 seconds.<o:p></o:p>
    Total time on the Intel disk controller screen: 15 seconds.<o:p></o:p>
    Total time on the final screen: 5 seconds. <o:p></o:p>
    I donít know, maybe that is not all that long, but it sure seems like it. <o:p></o:p>
    Can anyone tell me what times I should expect for initial start button press until the Windows is loading screen comes up? Maybe this is as good as It gets.<o:p></o:p>
    Still, I am far more interested in determining if I should be getting access to ďadvanced optionsĒ as it says in the manual. Do they actually exist for the 1.6 version of this board or do I have a problem?<o:p></o:p>
    My system:

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well Control + F1 was a thing of the past, it may be needed on older BIOS such as the one you have though. You press Control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, the screen flashes, then all hidden settings are shown.

On a budget board, NOT what you have, this can sometimes reveal voltage settings. Yours would all be shown by default anyway. What it may show you is extra IRQ Settings in the PnP/PCI page, that is all for your board.

As for your slow bootup times, you need to use the latest BIOS, they have updated the Intel AHCI/RAID BIOS ROM which makes the bootup much faster as you post past the IRQ pickup screens.

You should have your OS Hard drive connected to the Intel controller (SATAII_0 Port), if you do not already. Yes those are normal times, but they can be faster if you use the latest BIOS.

Here is BIOS FE
    http://america.giga-byte.com/FileLis...d3p_1.6_fe.exe

Please DO NOT USE @BIOS, use Qflash to update. Here is a guide, sorry the images are down, but the guide is still readable and will help you much if you are unsure how this works
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Hi, and thanks for answering!

Well Control + F1 was a thing of the past, it may be needed on older BIOS such as the one you have though. You press Control + F1 on the MAIN page of the BIOS, the screen flashes, then all hidden settings are shown.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>Well, that is just what I am trying to determine, if it might be a thing of the past for my revision of this board. When I press Ctrl + 1 it definitely flashes but Iíll be darned if I can spot what, if anything it is adding.

On a budget board, NOT what you have, this can sometimes reveal voltage settings. Yours would all be shown by default anyway. What it may show you is extra IRQ Settings in the PnP/PCI page, that is all for your board.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>There do seem to be a lot of voltage settings (frankly way more than I have any clue what to do with, but that is, perhaps, a subject for another post) in the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T) area. Hopefully it is all of them because I really donít know what I would do with yet still more! Admittedly, I have not looked at the PnP/PCI Configurations page. Part of the problem is that there are so many settings on each page, already, that it is difficult to pick out anything that may be added. When I first read about Ctrl + F1 for advanced options I guess I just expected that it would produce completely new pages, but obviously it is not going to be that simple. Perhaps I will try to take pictures of each page before hitting Ctrl + F1 and compare them with the same pages after Ctrl + F1. Then I could tell what, if anything, was being added. Honestly, I am really beginning to wonder if I am becoming a little too fixated on something that may not actually matter that much. I guess, however that this is a better question for my analyst. Well, it would be if I had one!

As for your slow bootup times, you need to use the latest BIOS, they have updated the Intel AHCI/RAID BIOS ROM which makes the bootup much faster as you post past the IRQ pickup screens.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>I had wondered if I might benefit from a BIOS update. I have actually done a couple of BIOS flashes before, on other boards, and not had any problems, but from what I have read, in this forum, it kind of sounds like flashing Gigabyte boards is a bit more tricky. Either that or perhaps I have just been real lucky before! In any case I had decided I would just leave the BIOS alone unless there was a valid reason. Well now there is a valid reason. In any case, I will read the BIOS flashing guide very thoroughly before I begin and I will not even think about using @BIOS!

You should have your OS Hard drive connected to the Intel controller (SATAII_0 Port), if you do not already. <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p>This is pretty much what I do have. My RAID 0 is connected to Intel SATAII ports 0 and 1 and my DVDRW is connected to Intel SATAII port 5. The Gigabyte controller is not even turned on. I have done it this way, by the way, because of advice from this forum from an earlier question so thanks again for all the dedicated, and priceless, help and time you guys contribute! <o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>
    My system:

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It's a thing of the past for P45 in general, this was only needed on P35 and older.

Like I said, in P45 all you will find unhidden is in the Pnp/PCI page, some extra IRQ Settings, that's all that is hidden. All the voltages as you can see are already available :)

Yes, you probably got lucky in the past. Gigabyte is the same as any other board, if you dont flash safely it can brick the board. Please use Qflash or DOS and you will be fine, it only takes less than a minute.

When flashing your BIOS with RAID, please be SURE you do this after the flash

Sorry the images are down in the guide until the first of April, but you should be fine without having to see the images

Let us know if you need anymore help with the flashing process. Please update to FD or above, that is when they updated the faster AHCI Detection ROM (The Intel screen that is slow). Best to update to the latest anyway FE

Thread Information