Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GA-P55A-UD4 whining noise whith C-sates enabled

Default Re: GA-P55A-UD4 whining noise whith C-sates enabled

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ya, it wont damage anything, it's just bothersome sometimes.

C3/C6/C7 do not need to be enabled to use turboboost, unless there is some difference between P55 and all other boards that I am unaware of.
    If I've C3/C6/C7 set in AUTO or DISABLED the Turbo Boost won't start. Only when C3/C6/C7 is ENABLED.
    Maybe it's a characteristic of the P55A chipsets, I really don't know. At first I even didn't even consider to enable C3/C6/C7, it was only when I monitored the performance, that I discovered it wasn't working. I've tested it with CPU-Z, with Everest and Intel Turbo Boost Monitor. So I'm pretty sure about that.

Quote Originally Posted by warren300 View Post
    also updating to the latest lan drivers and audio drivers help lessen the noise
    I didn't use the CD. It was a clean install and I download always the last drivers, utilities and BIOS.

Thanks both for being interested in my problem and for given me suggestions.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hmm, Maybe this is P55 isssue/feature? Hopefully someone will chime in on that one, I know in X58 this is not true.

Hmm, Maybe this is P55 isssue/feature? Hopefully someone will chime in on that one, I know in X58 this is not true.
    Yes you're right it must be a P55 feature. I tried today with a P55 Asus motherboard and I needed also to enable the C-state for Turbo Boost to work.
    The only difference I wasn't having any whining noise coming from inside PSU. But to be honest I tested without my PSU.

Hmm, maybe it is? I had not heard this, or used P55 myself so not sure.

Can you test that PSU with your board?

I have heard that some PSUs can make whining noises with the GB P55 boards when the C states are enabled. AFAIK the only thing you can do is leave them disabled or switch to another PSU.

When the C states are disabled the turbo can kick in by only one multiplier step. For more steps some of the cores need to enter C3/C6.

Nope. That computer belongs to a client of mine.
    But I'm pretty sure that some PSU will create more noise and others won't.
    I run a tiny little computer shop, but the only Corsair I've in stock at this moment is a VX550 (a little underpowered for my system).
    Probably when I get more Corsair for my shop, I'll try one with my computer at home.
    But I'm very lazy regarding my computer. You understand that after 8/12 hours of working, 1 weekly day off, I don't come home with much feeling for "messing" up with my computer. I just hate the idea of picking up a screwdriver. I think you can understand this.

Like you I've never heard that I needed to enable C-sates in BIOS in order to have Intel Power Boost working. I've only noticed this fact when I monitored the performance/temperature of my new motherboard/CPU/memory. Today I was called to solve a problem with a computer that I've sold, and so, I had the chance to test if its Turbo was working. And it wasn't. Next week I'll have to visit another client with another P55 motherboard and I'll check it also.
    If you're interested to know I'll report it here.
    Last edited by Von Paulus; 04-02-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    I have heard that some PSUs can make whining noises with the GB P55 boards when the C states are enabled. AFAIK the only thing you can do is leave them disabled or switch to another PSU.
    Thanks for your feedback. That's precisely what I'm thinking.
    If you add the poor implementation of USB3/SATA3 to this whining problem, it makes me thinking twice to choose GB motherboards for my computers. But the fact is that I really like this board, the quality of components, the extra USB ports and competitive price.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    When the C states are disabled the turbo can kick in by only one multiplier step. For more steps some of the cores need to enter C3/C6.
    But only with P55 chipsets?

Ya this thread is the VERY first I have heard this Turbo issue/feature mentioned. Does this matter when overclocking with P55 anyway? I mean don't you just set the max CPU multi anyway so turbo wouldn't matter?

Ya, I know what you mean about working on PC's all day! Happens to me all day everyday, so I understand!

Just saw a thread at XS on this whine issue, new PSU Solves it again
    Gigabyte X58A-UD3R high pitched noise - Page 2 - XtremeSystems Forums

Does this matter when overclocking with P55 anyway? I mean don't you just set the max CPU multi anyway so turbo wouldn't matter?
    From the professional point of view, I want stable machines and everything is configured with standard settings. If the client want to do an OC he can do, but do it at his own risk. I'm sure you understand this.
    Intel Turbo Boost seems to be a natural OC, from what I've been reading is stable and give really some boost in some situations.

Personally I'm not an extreme overclocker. One of the reasons is for pure ignorance about the technique. My time is spent in another computer areas. But I find the utilities like EasyTune6 very interesting. I know that this might sound a sacrilege to some, but for me it works. There are some legacy, non multicore applications and games that I play, that beneficts from this. So I use a medium profile tune with turbo activated and see some improvement on those applications/games. And it seems to be quiet stable and not dangerous. All this with no effort at all of messing with BIOS settings. Like I say I'm a bit lazy with my home computer. Most of the times I just want to arrive home and relax by playing a game. I guess, I've never lost the habit since Space Invaders.

Ahh yes, I do know what you mean there. I guess I was asking for the more general overclockers around here, since I just heard of this feature/issue, wondered what they thought/can do.

Easytune is ok for users who don't want to mess with the BIOS, which is easy really once you get into it. And you are right, it overclocks fairly well and you will see the differences in stock speed vs overclock so imagine how much faster it can be if you jump in there yourself and crank it up.

I do know how you feel though, just wanting to enjoy the machine without hassles, and that's understandable for sure. What games do you play these days?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information