Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: P55-UD4P won't post

Default P55-UD4P won't post

I have had this P55-UD4P since November and when I shut it down and then tried to start it up again it wouldn't post. The phase leds are green green yellow red and the speaker tone is a series of many short beeps for about 3 seconds. I am figuring its either the mobo or psu that needs replacing. I already tried clearing the CMOS (i removed the battery for a full day) and removing the ram. It won't post without the ram in either. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Default Re: P55-UD4P won't post

http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Is this possibly 23 short beeps, very fast? If so this is often auto memory timings set too low, specifically tRD.

Can you get the machine to post with one stick in slot 1? If you are unsure of the beep, can you record it and upload then post a url here so we can listen to it?

23 short beeps very fast sounds about right. It does post with only 1 stick in but the beeps sound and it doesn't post with two sticks in.

Have you cleared the CMOS? If not please try to do so using the method outlined in post #2 here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

This is almost always (99%) of the time tRD (Static tRead Value) set to low in the BIOS, but with P55/DDR3 not having this setting I am not sure what else it would be. Still would be memory related I assume. Please try clearing the CMOS, if that does not help you may need to borrow another stick of memory to test with.

Can you upload this sound for me please? This would help me be sure we are talking about the same beep.

Are you using the correct memory slots? Should be the second and fourth physical slots for 2 sticks, unlike previous generation boards where you would use slots 1+3 physical. They are labeled, second from the CPU DDR3_1 then fourth from the CPU DDR3_3, those are the ones you need to use.

Have you reseated your GFX card? Do you have the power cable plugged in for the GFX card?

Sorry, have to ask, do you have the 8Pin and 24Pin cable connected to the motherboard?

What PSU do you have?
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-01-2010 at 01:21 PM.

yes, I cleared the CMOS. That's the first thing I did. I also reseated the vid card and made sure it's plugged in. I've tried putting the two Ram sticks in slots 2 and 4 but it still won't go. I'll try to capture the sound and upload it maybe tomorrow.

My PSU is a 600w Thermaltake and I do have the 24pin cables securely connected but my PSU has the 4pin cable for the other one and the manual for the mobo said that will work. Should I get a new PSU with the 8 pin instead? Is that the issue here?

How long did you clear the CMOS, and how? Just wondering, sometimes you have to do it fully with no power to the board/battery and short the pins for 20+ minutes.

4pin Only PSU very well could be the issue, not sure though. What exact model is your Thermaltake?

Manuals always say continuous short beeps = Power errors but that is not always true. Can you borrow an EPS 12V PSU to test with that has a 8Pin? If you can please do that before you go buy one only to find out that is not the problem.

Thanks, whenever you can post the sound would be great.

Are you sure there is not ANY Bent CPU Socket pins? Just wondering if that is something you checked before you dropped in the CPU. If you recheck it again now be very careful to not bend any in the process of checking.

The PSU is a Thermaltake Purepower 2.0 600w.

I haven't checked the CPU for any bent pins but plan to when I have time. I have to go to bed soon so it won't be tonight.

I can see if any of my friends has a EPS 12V PSU to test with but I'm not sure if they do or don't. I'll check.

I won't be able to capture the sound now since It's 1 am here. I'll see if I can do it in the morning.

Thanks, I have not heard any issues with that model in particular, but that does not mean anything though. Since it is old that could be why I haven't heard, no one using it anymore?

I say it's old, because it is right? I say that because I have not seen any PSU's that are above 500W that only have a 4pin, so is it old or just maybe a budget model? Very well could be the problem, hopefully you can get a EPS PSU to test this with.

Thread Information