Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Ex58-ud5 & gsata issues

Default Ex58-ud5 & gsata issues

Hello there peeps,

It's 6 am for me here and I've given up figuring out what is wrong with my mobo.
    Allow me to give you a little background on my situation, I've had a EX58-UD5 pretty much since it came out. I have gone through many Bios updates, including beta ones. I eventually got my system going well I did at some point get a noisy choke which I was able to get rid of by doing a little research and disabling C1E and EIST mind you my memory is a bit blurry now and I don't recall if I needed to disable both.

I've always been under the impression that if you overclock and upping the voltage for your ram and setting the right timings falls under that, you should disable C1E and EIST. Someone should probably correct me on that.

Anyway was all fine and dandy until 2 days ago when the squeal appeared again, I was able to pin point it to my onboard LAN ports, and tell you what my network transfers took a downfall from there.

Anyway here is my System Specs:

Motherboard
    # Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
    Processor
    # Intel Core i7 920
    Memory
    # OCZ3G1600LV6GK Product Link
    Video Card
    # Sapphire HD4870 1GB
    Hard Drive # 1 - blue port
    # OCZ Vertex Turbo 120G 1.5
    Hard Drive # 2 - blue port
    # Western Digital 1.5TB Green 64MB SATAII WD15EARS
    Hard Drive # 3 - blue port
    # Western Digital 1.5TB Green 64MB SATAII WD15EARS
    Hard Drive # 4 - blue port
    # Samsung 1.5TB Silencer Series 32M
    Hard Drive # 5 - blue port
    Hard Drive # 6 - blue port
    Hard Drive # 7 - white port
    # Samsung 1TB Spinpoint F2 SATA II 7200RPM 32M
    Hard Drive # 8 - white port
    Hard Drive # 9 - white port
    Hard Drive # 10 - white port
    Optical Drive # 1 - IDE
    # Sony 20X DVD-RW (AD7200A0B)
    Case
    # Lian Li PC-V2010
    Power Supply
    # Corsair HX1000W
    Sound Card
    # Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Titanium PCIe Fatal1ty Pro
    Monitor
    # Samsung 2443BW 24 inch wide 5ms
    Operating System
    # Windows 7 Pro (64 bit)

Alright so with all this in mind I had Raid 0s happening on the Gsatas working fine, and bios settings stable and correct. Still the squealing and poor network transfers. It frustrated me so I went and bought a new EX58-UD5, I think those boards are great and I like being able to have 10 drives, even though 4 of them are in RAIDS.

Alright, first things I notice on the new board is that the bottom (3rd) PCI x slot is Blue not Orange like on my squealing board, did I mention that they're the same model - even the revision on the new board is 1.0, anyway I turn it over and I notice a metal bracket holding the north bridge heatsink, I think it's north bridge anyway the heatsink that has the GIGABYTE word on. On my squealing board there is no metal bracket at the back just those white plastic pins that expand when pushed in.

So already I see this board to have some significant differences from my first board and start to make me wonder. Anyway I plug everything in, boot up. Some nice sequences of starting and stopping but not much suprise there, it finally posted gave me my CPU - my 6 gig of ram - and most of my hard drives. Not all but I will get to that in a sec.

The factory Bios is F7, I was like cool this board was manufactured quite a bit later than my squealing one. Anyway that's an assumption from me, I get into the bios and notice that the date and time is spot on, I thought that was a little wierd but I moved on. I did a couple of setting change, put in the timings correctly for my ram and saved and rebooted.

Ok so it post just fine showing me all the drives in the blue ports and only 1 in the white ports. Anyway I thought Id leave that until later, I figured I might have to redo the raids through the bios etc... Windows loads up just fine and I see my corresponding drive except for the one coming through the Gsata. That one is suppose to be on a raid.

Yes that's right I had those drive in a raid setup on the squealing board and I transfer them to the new board without thouching anything, hoping that it would come through just fine. I was expecting to have to remake the raid but that didn't phase me.

Alright machine seems stable in windows I have no issues, RAM is showing nicely and drives are working fine. Alright lets reboot and get these raids going.

Alright, I get into the smart backup, yes it's all enabled and it's set to IDE exactly the way I had it on the squealing board. I got to have a look, one of the raids tell me it's Broken because it's only picking up 1 of the drive. And the second raid well it's just not existant, it picked up no drives.

Mind you I had a similar issue when I first got my squealing UD5 but I got that issue fixed I can't remember how.

So here I go testing each port individually, all pick up the single drive wether on slave or master. So those ports work just fine with 1 drive plugged in LOL but when I put a 2nd or 3rd or 4th drive only 1 drive gets detected, and it comes up under Controller 0 (Gsata2 0/1) Port 1, Port 0 is empty.
    and when I go under Controller 1 both ports are empty. I mean of course it's empty, I don't see them being detected when the machine post.

ok let's FLASH the bios, weeeeeeeeeee alright Bios is now F12 same issue, oh wait I did notice something. Even though I set my CPU Clock Ratio to 20X when the machine posts it gives me a nice 21X WTH ?? Go back into bios it's still set to 20x, lol what's going on? Alright lets load Optimized Defaults, same issues still 1 drive from the Gsata, lets load Fail-Sage, still 1 drive from Gsata, alright CLEAR CMOS, still same issues at default settings. Alright lets tweak the settings to what I know was working on my squealing board. Still just 1 drive for the white ports. Also the 21x is still happening.

Ok, let's be adventurous, 1 stick of Ram on the first white slot closest to the CPU. Ram is just fine and boots into windows just nicely. Still no change on the Gsata, haha alright I know those drives work and just to make sure I plug them all in the blue ports. YES they're detected, I knew they worked lol. So I boot into windows and I see them in the disk management, and I say to myself I might as well wipe them. Just to be sure you know, lets get rid of the raid that's in place on them. That still didn't change much and I didn't expect it to.

So, I have working drives, working sata cables, working RAM, working CPU as far as I know though that 21 x on the post is totally wierd, working video card, working windows drive, NON WORKING GSATA PORTS when used together, remember they work individually, I've plugged in 1 drive at a time in each GSATA to test the ports.

So this is where I'm at guys, tell you what I've had a fun night and i've come close to tears,
    wait I just remembered i'm lookin @ the error code on the board, it's giving me 75 - looking at the manual - under the post error code - 75H = Detect & Install all IDE Devices: HDD, LS120, ZIP, CDROM...

... ok I give up :P HELP !!!

Default Re: Ex58-ud5 & gsata issues

Why is it always the last thing you try that gives you hope!!

I'm at work currently but just before I left for work I thought to try different drives in the white ports.
    DING DING DING !!! Drives were detected and the smart backup was ready to let me raid them. Except I don't want to raid those drives haha they're important to me :) So, what is it that I have to do to those bloody Samsungs to get recognized, is it because there is something written on them from the previous board about their raid that is not coming through to this new board? Would doing a quick Zero Fill fix this ?

These drives work fine in windows on the blue ports, I initiated them to the MBR and formated them into a NTFS partition. I could then access them. I did that for all 4. Maybe that's not enough of a wipe and Zero fill might be my option. I don't know I'm really guessing here.

What are your thoughts ?

arnt the white sockets jmicron ports? did you install all the latest drivers off the website for them?idk for sure ive never used a raid setup,as for your 21x multi thats becuase you have intel turbo enabled,its normal 20x in the bios and turbo enabled will be 21x multi in windows,disable turbo if you want to get 20x multi but i would keep it enabled,does the new board squeal??? my board squeals a little too but disabling just c1e stops this.with windows 7 you can go into the power saving options and select balanced,this will throttle the cpu @idle like c1e does and give you full processor speed at load but without the squeal noise,just keep c1e disabled and select balanced in win7
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Green WD drives in RAID? and these aren't the RE4 which are good to go... variable rpm. No TLER. There are now Black variety with the new WD Advanced Format 4k blocking factor.

My SCSI adventures led me to look at identical DNA for all drives, same firmware and model, and even insuring that no drive tested slightly off from others (seeks and I/O).

Things can be fine, but given long enough, or just 3-6 months, for errors to show.

ok I understand the 21x multi now, as for the white sockets, I'm just trying to get the drives detected on post so that I can then go into the bios and set the raid. Those options are under Smart Backup. So in regards of latest drivers, that doesn't quite fit.

I have the latest bios, and the settings for smart backup are enabled - also to make it clear - I only have two options, IDE - AHCI and it's on IDE, I don't want it on AHCI and 2nd of all I had this setup on my previous board (same model) just fine and exactly the same, the only thing I did different is the fact that I didn't give my new board blank drives, the drives already had a raid setup with the previous board and I'm thinking that this might be affecting it. (reasoning is due to me plugging other drives to the white ports and them being picked and enabled for raiding).

The new board is not squealing, but I'm yet to plug it in the network and do transfers/ browse the net.

Quote Originally Posted by $Clayton@ View Post
    Green WD drives in RAID? and these aren't the RE4 which are good to go... variable rpm. No TLER. There are now Black variety with the new WD Advanced Format 4k blocking factor.

My SCSI adventures led me to look at identical DNA for all drives, same firmware and model, and even insuring that no drive tested slightly off from others (seeks and I/O).

Things can be fine, but given long enough, or just 3-6 months, for errors to show.
    Ok i'm pretty sure I put the Samsungs 1TB in my system specs the ones under the white ports which are my raids. And I had these going for quite some time without issues. My WD greens are both individually plugged in on my blue ports no raids whatsoever and doing just fine.

I don't know if Lsdmeasap my thread, I was kind of hoping he would and maybe tell me his thoughts, I'll be going home in about 2 hours and apart from doing a low level format on the samsungs I really don't have anything else, however I will let you know how that went. Thank god my gf was able to start that process for me or else it would have taken ages :P there's about 1hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes of low level formatting per drive so yeah lucky gf is computer literate.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

The blue slots are the Intel controller, and what you should be using especially for RAID as it is much faster. So if you want to move an array, especially if your OS is on it, to the Intel controller you will need to install the Intel RAID Driver if you did not already.

Your CPU multi issues, is a non issue. Between various versions they changed some things in regards to that. You can now either set x21 multi directly, or leave it at x20 and have turbo enabled for x21.

Memory should be in the White slots only, unless you are using more than 3 sticks.

Ok, onto the disk issues.

I need to know what your plans are, with all drives before advising you. I need to know which would be RAID'd together and what type of array, and which has your OS on it.

Then I can advise you better, I don't want to start now without knowing for sure what you are trying to do with all the drives.

I also need to know your current settings in regards to the drives from the integrated peripherals section of the BIOS, so if need be I can tell you what you need to change to what.

Integrated Peripherals

Intel Controller (Blue Ports)
    SATA RAID/AHCI Mode (Intel ICH10R Southbridge) ............. ?
    SATA Port0-3 Native Mode ................................... Enabled (or Disabled, both will work)

Gigabyte/J.Micron Controller (White Ports)
    Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ............. Enabled
    Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip) ........... ?

Those may vary a bit, I know they now use XHD labels so change as needed. I need to update my template for this, just haven't had a chance yet

No need to low level format anything, unless you specifically want to do that of course.

Thread Information