Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which EP45 Board?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Which EP45 Board?

Yes, it should. You would need to clear the CMOS, then load and apply optimized/reboot F10 to BIOS and set any needed settings such as SATA/Disk or ram voltage and then save/F10 and boot to windows. Booting to windows is needed because the DMI pool wont get rebuilt again until you load past the IRQ screen and head to windows.

Good luck testing!

Thanks. I will not be home for several days, but I will let you know the results. Again, much appreciated.

Phil
    MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P v1.6, FB Bios
    RAM - G.SKILL(2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066 (F2-8500CL5D)
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz (currently at 450 x 9 w/ ~31C Idle and 60C @ Full Load) - Zalman 9700 cooler
    GPU - GIGABYTE GV-R485OC-1GH Radeon HD (no OC) Zalman VF2000 cooler (27C idle)
    HDs - OCZ 60G SSD boot drive - WD Caviar Black - WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 - 1 TB; Maxtor 6L200S0 (200G) (Both SATA)
    DVD-ROMs - Plextor PX-880SA - (SATA Burners)(2)
    Sound - Omega HT Claro via Monsoon Speakers
    PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W
    CASE - Antec 300 (Scythe Fans)
    Windows 7 64bit - Home Premium

Alrighty!

Well have fun on your time away, see ya when you get back around.

Good luck with the testing when you get home, hopefully you can get it figured out!

Well, the quick CMOS clear did not work, and Qflash did not recognize my USB drive. I finally dug a jumper out of an old box. Now, I need to find a MOBO diagram to show me where to put the jumper, and I also need to read the Qflash sticky and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong there.

My main BIOS is FD, and my backup is FB. I have FE on a FAT32 key, but Qflash does not believe it. Stay tuned. Suggestions welcome on the above, but I will do my own research in the meantime.

BTW, hitting F9 in BIOS originally showed one MAC address as blank, and the other as a series of mostly 9s. A quick clear and loading of optimized BIOS turned the blank one into a series of mostly Fs.
    CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz (currently at 450 x 9 w/ ~31C Idle and 60C @ Full Load) - Zalman 9700 cooler
    HDs - OCZ 60G SSD boot drive - WD Caviar Black - WDC WD1001FALS-00J7B1 - 1 TB; Maxtor 6L200S0 (200G) (Both SATA)

Chike is offline Senior Member

Try a warm boot after cold. My baord does not recognise the USB at cold but does at warm.

EDIT: the CLR_CMOS pins are just next to the red part of front pannel pins.
    Last edited by Chike; 04-07-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Well, I still have not managed the BIOS update. Then again, I might not try very hard, now that the long CMOS clear seems to have solved all of my machine's problems all by its lonesome.

Thank you to one and all. I think I will now try to solve the Qflash problem, just to make sure that I can. Who knows, getting FE working might even solve my dual channel problem, although I guess I should not hold my breath on that one.

Nice to see you got it fixed!

If you still need help with Qflash let us know. You may need to try a different USB Stick, some do not work. Be sure you leave it plugged in, then enter the BIOS and hit F8, or hit END at bootup. You must also be sure you have Legacy USB Storage Detect Enabled in the Integrated Peripherals section of the BIOS.

If you still have issues you may need to just try another USB, or try that one again but reformat it to FAT32 again just to be sure. How large is it? You may also need to try a smaller one, I have a 2GB directly from Gigabyte that will not work, and one from them that works fine. I have seen several people with 8GB ones that do not as well, so sometimes you just need to try a different one or a smaller one.

You can also make a small 1-2GB FAT32 partition on your hard drive if you want, then flash from it with Qflash. If you need help doing that and don't get the USB working let us know and we can help you make a BIOS partition to use for Qflash.

Wow.

I somwhat suspected the USB stick, which is an old 2Gig Kingston, but I was planning to move to a hot 8Gig Patriot XPorter instead. I took your advice and reformatted a 256MB AData stick and warm booted. Bingo! The FE BIOS loaded without a hitch. I fiddled with RAM voltage and a few other obvious things, and it all booted just fine.

Then came the fun part. I discovered long ago that my second yellow slot produced Memtest+ errors like they were going out of style; literally hundreds in a few seconds. Later, my second orange slot started to produce errors as well, and I've been reduced to running single channel mode. I read somewhere that the FE BIOS was intended in part to make the Mobo and fast sticks play nice with each other.

I tried some quickie tests with a single stick in the second yellow, then with a single stick in the second orange, and got zero errors. I then switched to dual channel yellow and, unfortunately, got about 40 errors in 25 minutes or so. An enormous improvement over the thousands I got before, but still a problem. Next I tried dual channel orange, and got no errors in 15 minutes. I am leaving for work now, and will try an an eight hour plus test while I am gone. Keep fingers crossed. So far, this visit to TweakTown is working fantastically well for me. And to think I was on the verge of replacing the board!

Thanks one and all.

Phil

Great to hear you found a USB stick that works! Ya, not sure why this is but some just will not work at all.

I have 2 2GB ones sent to me directly from Gigabyte, one is a Energy Saver Leaf and it is generic (Unbranded anyway) and one is branded by PQI. The unbranded one works fine for Qflash or Booting from DOS, the PQI one only will boot from DOS and will not work with Qflash.

Almost all of my smaller ones like 256-512MB all work fine for either of those things. Something to do with the larger ones I think is the problem

So, sounds like this new BIOS is working for you! You just need some adjustments now after being without working channels for so long you are not used to what tweaks you may need to do. If you don't have any luck getting things going please let us know and give us your current settings and we can advise back.

I am glad you found us, often times a RMA or returning the board for another brand is rarely needed. Just have to find the right BIOS, settings, or advice and generally everything will work just fine.

Let us know how you get along once you've had some time to tinker with it.

The yellow channels should work best for you, now whether they do or not is one thing and whether that is due to actual issues or just settings is whole another thing as well. So have to tinker around with both I would suspect, with proper settings. You may have better luck on the red channels, I just wanted to remind you of what should be used first is all.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-09-2010 at 12:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information