Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Might just be a slight incompatibility is all, or your memory may be partially faulty. I can cause missing memory/channels on the fly with high clocks or incorrect settings, so even at stock/optimized your memory settings in regards to Vdimm & QPI/Vtt may be off in Auto.

Did you try any testing with manually set 1.66 Vdimm and a known stable amount of QPI/Vtt also manually set? And I would also advise you to manually set your own uncore during testing, often I see Auto uses 2x +2-4 and sometimes that can be way to much depending on voltages used.

Your cold boot issues, may also be caused by you switching channels tried or memory amounts, due to the DMI pool needing rebuilt? Not sure, but it could be a factor?

Too bad you don't live here, I could test your memory and see if it is indeed compatible or not. I do see in many reviews that it is fine in the older Gigabyte X58 boards, so I assume it should be in these as well.

No other memory to test with eh? Make a friend bring his over for a few

I'll see if I can find some memory to test with. There's another computer store local to me so maybe I can work out some sort of deal with them to borrow a kit or something.

But essentially what we're looking at is:
    1. General incompatibility between the memory and the mobo
    2. Faulty RAM (probably less likely)
    3. Faulty IMC on the CPU

I didn't touch any of the voltages and so forth but I'll have a play around with them again and see what results I get. I'm just wondering if it's happening strictly on cold boots now or still more often.
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-25-2010 at 03:59 PM.

I am thinking 1 or 2 (And 2 more so than 1)

But, since you did not touch any voltages though that concerns me much, especially if you are testing at 1600Mhz. You will need to set your own uncore multi, QPI/Vtt, Vdimm and possibly IOH

Morning!

So same problem with the first boot overnight - it wouldn't start up right away until I hit the reset button. BIOS warned that some overclock had failed (which is strange since it's not overclocked) but I proceeded to set the voltage settings: VDimm 1.66V, QPI/Vtt 1.32V, VCore ~1.2150V. Rebooted into Windows and all memory's detected again.

Great actually!!

This may mean you are probably just using incorrect voltages or settings, which may be all that is causing the memory issues. It still could be a slight incompatibility or slightly faulty memory, but I am leaning towards settings for sure now that you got that error screen.

If you continue to see this go ahead and post me your full settings if you are unsure and I will advise you of things you can try to change/set to remedy this

I'm certainly hoping so, I've only had a few boots though and the past couple of days have been good. I went in and out of sleep a couple of times today too with no memory dramas. I'll post a full write-up of my settings again tomorrow hopefully; it seems any problems happen on the first completely cold boot so I'll find out if the fixed voltages have made any difference.

Good to hear! So you think the memory is compatible, and not faulty then right? Just settings need tweaked?

Cold boot issues can be hard to get corrected, but with the right settings they are usually minimal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Good to hear! So you think the memory is compatible, and not faulty then right? Just settings need tweaked?
    I think so yeah (but I've also been wrong a lot of the time so who knows :P). I'm hoping I'll have a lot more time towards the end of the week after these projects are done to spend a decent amount of time trinkering; so far all I've done is just the first thing in the morning.

Ahh ok, well good luck with further testing once you get time to do so!

If you need help with settings I can for sure help!

NGL_BrSH is offline Member

I have almost exactly the same problem as you do with my x58a-UD5.. once the machine has been off for while.. I lose 2 of my 6 gigs. I have exhausted all options except for swapping out the cpu.
    I think it's not necessarily that things are warm but capacitors still have charge. It takes about 6 hours of the computer being turned off for my cold-boot issue to arise.. whereas my computer is truly cold after about 45 mins in my frosty house.
    I think that something that is supposed to hold a charge doesn't. Like some circuit that is supposed to read the memory during post or something can't do it in time because it's not charged... and it won't recognize the ram until full reboot since it doesn't do that part of it on a simple restart.

At this point since I rarely shut down I've decided to live with it since it's not "too" inconvenient. The UD5 and UD3 use the same bios versions so maybe there is something to do with that.
    I'll keep an eye here in case you decide to rma your CPU and that solves it.

Good luck!

Page 10 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread Information