Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Default Re: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

The only thing is wouldn't unplugging it and holding the power button down discharge everything? When you do it some of the LEDs inside light up for a few seconds then fade out.

Edit: And as I write that I boot in to only 4gb but reboot again it's back to 6gb. Far out.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, that would discharge everything.

Still having issues Kiladav, I am sorry to hear this! Let me get your current settings now and we'll see if any of my suggestions can help now that we know your CPU Socket it ok. (It is right, you looked?)

This is now the issue i was talking about intially on OCAU....maybe go through all the things i mentioned there and see if it works...but i believe if RAM is not faulty you are most likely looking at a mount issue or weird SPD incompatibility that requires a volt sweetspot rather than anything else really.

it's highly unlikely to have a faulty CPU imo but sometimes IMCs can be a bit of a ***** to get going

it's been a while.......what hardware do you have? RAM etc.

Hey,

Last couple of days have been chockers but I finally have some free time between projects and events to look at this solidly again. To be honest at this stage I think I'm just going to call the PC place near me (CentreCom) and try convince them to take it in and test with a different memory kit and possibly CPU (as a last resort). This is honestly just frustrating me more and more and I really really [really] just want it working.

Intel Core i7 920 (D0)
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
    G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (3x2GB) DDR3
    Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 Ultra Durable 1GB
    Seasonic X-Series 750W Power Supply
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX
    Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B
    Creative X-Fi Gamer

I'll post BIOS settings tomorrow but yeah, I'm not sure if it'll make a difference if there's some other underlying problem (which trying a different memory kit should tell us definitively at least).

Mount issue as in the heatsink or the CPU or?

Thanks.
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-29-2010 at 08:46 PM.

mount issue refers to heatsink exerting too much pressure on the CPU and causing pins to misalign........this can happen with stock heatsink too...
    what i usually do to check is lay the board flat, take the CPU out and clean it with 100% alcohol first and then put my copper pot on the cpu and not mount anything or if air cooled

i usually add one stick at a time from first while slot and then the other two, check if its showing 6GB on bootup prompts and then memtest

after that i try to apply an OC and then check bootup again and then in windows with superpi and everest bandwidth so i know if its still happy with all 3 channels.

This can be frustrating believe me....my No1 peave to be honest with intel core i7.......there is nothing worse than this when you have everything setup for subzero to find that you have to troubleshoot for another 1-2 hours to get it right lol

The only thing is I've remounted the thing like 4-5 times over the course of this, and the mount has these spring screws which in theory should prevent you from having it push down too firmly.

Code:
    Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock Ratio ............................ [21x]
    Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech .................. [Enabled]
    CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All]
    CPU Multi Threading ........................ [Enabled]
    CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) .................... [Enabled]
    C3/C6/C7 State Support ..................... [Disabled]
    CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enabled]
    CPU EIST Function .......................... [Enabled]
    Virtualization Technology .................. [Enabled] << Disabled if you do not use Vmware or Virtual PC Programs
    Bi-Directional PROCHOT ..................... [Enabled]

Uncore & QPI Features:
    QPI Link Speed ............................ x36
    Uncore Frequency .......................... 3200MHz 
    Isonchronous Frequency .................... [Enabled]

Standard Clock Control:
    Base Clock (BCLK) Control ................ [Disable]
    BCLK Frequency (MHz) ..................... 133MHz
    PCI Express Frequency (MHz) .............. [Auto] 

C.I.A.2 [Disabled]   <---- Can't see this option

Advanced Clock Control:
    CPU Clock Drive ............................ [800mV]
    PCI Express Clock Drive .................... [900mV]
    CPU Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]
    IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0ps]

Advanced DRAM Features:
    Performance Enhance ...................... [Extreme]
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disabled]
    System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [12.0]
    DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Expert]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
    ##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
    CAS Latency Time ...................... 9
    tRCD ....................................... 9
    tRP ......................................... 9
    tRAS ....................................... 24

Below values may be left in Auto if you like, generally this is fine.  For those users who DO Set advanced timings manually, please see some of my thoughts and findings about these settings and rules here
    XtremeSystems Forums - View Single Post - Gigabyte EX58-UD5/Extreme Discussion Thread

##Channel A Advanced Timing Control##
    tRC ........................................  (Should be = tRAS + tRP or above for stability)
    tRRD .......................................
    tWTR ...................................... (Must be Write to Read Delay/Same Rank - (tWL + 4)
    tWR ........................................
    tWTP .......................................   (tWTP Must = tWR + tWL + 4)
    tWL ........................................    (tWL Must be CAS Latency -1)
    tRFC .......................................
    tRTP .......................................
    tFAW ......................................
    Command Rate (CMD) ................ 1

##Channel A Misc Timing Control##
    Round Trip Latency ...................

Advanced Voltage Control:

CPU
    Load Line Calibration ................. [Level 1]  (Standard, level1, level 2 are only options)
    CPU Vcore ............................. 1.21250V
    QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v ................ 1.320V
    CPU PLL 1.800v ........................ [Auto]

MCH/ICH
    PCIE 1.500v ........................... [Auto]
    QPI PLL 1.100v ........................ [Auto]
    IOH Core 1.100v ....................... [Auto]
    ICH I/O 1.500v ........................ [Auto]
    ICH Core 1.1v ......................... [Auto]

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage 1.500v .................. [1.660V]
    DRAM Termination 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v [AUTO]
    As it's not OCd at the moment, I haven't gone ahead and fixed many of the voltages and other things yet so keep that in mind.

My advice to you is to take the board out of the case and flex it well and place on a flat surface

Take the CPU out and find some metho or alcohol and clean the CPU gold pins and place back into socket and lock the retention mechanism

place the CPU cooler on top of CPU but dont mount it with springs just try to put something on top of heatsink to hold it in place to provide a little bit of pressure and also not to knock it off the CPU (be CAREFUL not to knock thecooler while system running and be prepared to pull the plug)

put one stick of ram in and only connect the bare minimum (keyboard mouse hdd...)

clear cmos, take battery out for 10 seconds, put it in, fire up machine and load Optimised defaults

restart, shut it down and take power out and put the other two sticks in.

start it up and see what is says during initial startup...does it see 6GB of RAM? No, repeat the initial steps. If Yes go to bios and load optimised defaults again and let it go to OS and test with everest so you know the bandwidth and use superpi 32M to test stability.

restart if all ok and go to bios and change ONLY the following
    160MHz BCLK
    10x multi on RAM (1600MHz)
    19x multi (turn turbo off)
    vcore 1.2v
    VTT 1.36v
    vdimm (whatever rated volts if 1.5 rated leave 1.5, if 1.65 set 1.64 or 1.66)

Save bios with F11 command so that you can load it up easy next time.

dont change anything else! dont touch timings or other controls...nothing!

does it boot up, does it show 6GB on bootup?
    go to windows and check everest bandwidth...should be much higher than stock
    is it stable on 32M SuperPi (i would just do a couple of loops because the heatsink is not mounted properly)

If it doesnt work you have to test your components one by one.

If it does work mount the CPU heatsink by just tighten it enough that it sits on the CPU without being able to come loose, and then repeat again tightening it a bit more and more....

just take it from there basically....just jack up the vcore when you go up in speed towards 4Ghz to 1.35v and if clocking memory higher play with VTT volts up to 1.55 just for testing puposes but dont really run it 24/7 so high)

p.s. ive done a lot of mounting and remounting and found that once you mess it up hard the first time it gets harder to get right so do the steps above and easy into it rather than screw it in
    mounting springs are meant to do that but hey nothing is perfect and they can still mess up the mount regardless.........as i said i've dropped one or two channels many times myself and in fact sometimes when it boots OK and initial settings work i cannot get the good numbers out of RAM because the mount isn't perfect so i remount it again

this gets easier and doesnt seem to cause too many issues later once you are aware of these issues in initial stages. I have some boards which are more finicky than others no matter what brand

i havent had these issues for a while as i now take it real easy on mounting whatever i am testing heh.....Ive also had a lot less issues with Gulftown chips with this sort of stuff...not sure if its because they are Gulftowns or because ive had a lot of practice mounting hehehehe but it's not really something i think about much these days when i test gear
    Last edited by dinos22; 04-30-2010 at 09:29 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You may also want to try Uncore at a higher value than x2. If Dino's info does not get you going give me the current settings you are now trying after reading his advice and I will advise back and see if we can get you going.

I can cause this on the fly with any board and any memory, if I plug in the wrong values, so it can easily be incorrect settings as well as the above mentioned caused.

By chance have you flashed the BIOS to the F5 version yet?
    F4 and F5 are to do with memory issues according to website.
    INTEL i7-920 2.66GHZ 8M LGA 1366
    GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R Rev 1
    ASETEK 120MM WATERCOOLER
    6GB KINSTON HYPER X DDR3
    BLACK AZZA SOLANO 1000 FULL TOWER
    Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
    2TB SATA III 3.0 GB 7200RPM HD
    BLACK LITE-ON 24X DVDRW
    SEASONIC X750 Gold PSU
    ONBOARD 7.1 SOUND
    ATI RADEON 5750 1GB DDR3
    WINDOWS 10 64Bit 10240