Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Default Re: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    This is almost always the cause, aside from settings. Since you already noticed a bent pin, can you please post several high resolution images so I can look at this, please make them as clear as you can.
    I'll try do this tomorrow. The best I have a 10 megapixel camera but I'm not sure how well it'd take photos considering it was as royal pain just to just see through a magnifying glass. I also need to get some more alcohol swabs to clean up. I guess I'm having some trouble convincing myself that a bent pin would only cause issues at 1600mhz but be flawless at lower speeds - I just don't understand.

For what it's worth though, the pin way in the top left quadrant, half way down and just off centre to the right. I assume you have a large chart defining which pins are used for what (to check if it's related to the memory controller)?

It very well could just be settings, and this pin could not have an affect on anything (Some do not matter), but I need to see the pins first so I can look up which it is for you and then be sure you also do not have others bent or missing as well. Then we can try settings before you decide to go forward, normally with bent pins RMA is not possible either so be ready for that.
    I've read that it's not covered by returns but since it's literally brand new the retailer should take it back. Honestly I'm at the point where I'd rather throw money at people who're able to fix it. :(

QPI/Vtt may need to be 1.35-1.4+, 1.3 may not be enough so don't settle for that, and memory voltage should be set to 1.66. I will get further into settings to try once we check your pins though, so please do take some images of the socket.
    Given this is quick, I tried QPI/Vtt of 1.36V, memory voltage at 1.66V and uncore at 3200MHz. The system booted but Prime95 had errors while running (which seem to happen whenever my QPI is above 1.3V or so, regardless of BCLK). When I rebooted to revert the change, channels A & C had "-" next to them again so it's still not right.

Thanks.

(Also, I updated my post above yours after you posted - if you missed it)
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-07-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

10 Megapixel camera will be fine, 2-5 is fine as long as you have a steady hand. Just set it on Macro setting, then be sure there is plenty of light (Not flash) on the socket. Then take a few pictures from several angles and post them here, I'll be able to notice what pins it is and if they are bent or borke just by looking. Then I can tell you how they are damaged, if you may be able to fix them, and what which pin exactly it is.

Yes, I would look at the pin-out diagram and see what exactly the pin is related to. I do need to see the pin though so I can get the letter and number, I can't just guesstimate on something like that.

Yes, retailer might take it back. You would need to convince them nicely on the phone, not in a email, that it arrived to you damaged like that and you did not even try to use it. That is your best option, and be nice but firm. Gigabyte may take it and repair it for a fee, but this happens few and far between and as you suspect the policy is of course a firm NO because bent pins can only mean user damage - Computers and Robots never make mistakes :)

If you do want to tinker now without looking at the pins, please give me your full specs and exact full settings in a template from my signature and I will try and help you see if settings will correct this or not.

I'll get back to you tomorrow on the photos and BIOS template.

Just quickly before I take a break from all this today, do you think that a bent pin (or whatever this issue is) could also be causing the ATI device driver to stop responding (and eventually BSoD) when I try to play video that's decoded on the GPU, despite it working flawlessly for gaming? It also happens when trying to measure my WEI score in Windows or while using Adobe Flash 10.1 RC which includes GPU acceleration.

Thanks again for your help. :)

Not sure if it could cause the BSOD or not, but it is likely if this is the cause because it is causing memory to fail already.

Not sure though, that could all be driver issues.

i just want to add that i had my board repaired for a few bent pins in the cpu socket,i explained to gigabyte that it arrived this way and id just got around to building the pc and noticed it,i rma'd it and they repired it no problems without charge,im not saying they will do the same for you but if you explain propperly im sure they would repair without charging you.also it would give memory issues if the right pin was bent because the memory controller is built into the chip
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Thanks Warren! The general policy on that is NO, but of course if you ask nicely and explain honestly sometimes they will fix it and do a RMA with you.

I have sent in two boards that came with bent pins, sent to me directly from the factory in Taiwan so it does happen without user error, but of course I have more options than most people would in regards to something like this. I have seen them do it for free for general users, and I have seen a few get charged $60-80, depends on who you talk to that day and how they feel I guess? I do know also though that many people get a firm and direct NO, so you may have to try and escalate to a higher up person when you call it in.

Morning all,

Here's the BIOS settings I'm using for my small stable OC w/ memory running at slower speeds; maybe there's some options I haven't explored before pulling everything apart again.

I was just planning on returning the mobo to the place I bought it from because they're generally really good. Since it's been under a week I see no reason why I should have to RMA it all the way back to Gigabyte (and don't they have to handle the warranty for the year anyway?).
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-08-2010 at 06:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kalidav View Post
    Morning all,

Here's the BIOS settings I'm using for my small stable OC w/ memory running at slower speeds; maybe there's some options I haven't explored before pulling everything apart again.

I was just planning on returning the mobo to the place I bought it from because they're generally really good. Since it's been under a week I see no reason why I should have to RMA it all the way back to Gigabyte (and don't they have to handle the warranty for the year anyway?).
    yeah you can go through the store where you bought it,i did it that way too, they pass it on to gigabyte or might even replace it
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

I called the store and they're still adamant that it's compatibility issue since the memory isn't on the QVL list, which could be the case since I did come across a thread where someone had the same issue but it was fixed by switching to memory on the list so I honestly don't know. I did mention the possibility of bent CPU pins but the guy said that that was "physical damage" and not covered.

if i were you id ask where you bought your ram from if they would exchange it for another brand,tell them that your pc is having problems with it and its not on their compatability list maybe they will exchange it,also try rquesting an rma ticket direct with gigabyte for mb,but rma/exchanging your ram would be an easier option to try first
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information