Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Default Re: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Any thoughts? I've got to put this back together soon and I might poke around with a pin before I do. ;)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You a staff member here? Just wondered how you uploaded to the server if not, or is that something else?

If so, cool, I never knew

Top right quadrant, what is that, do you see it? Image issues or something bent o missing?

Take a few more of that at different angles and maybe more light. I can't say for sure just yet, but it does look like that pin might be bent out of place, sucks that it is in the middle of pins not the edge too!

I am checking now, to see what pin that is.

9 across from the top and 5 down it looks like to me, right?

L-39 is that pin, which is Vss Ground.

Page 63 (L39)
    http://download.intel.com/design/pro...hts/320834.pdf

Page 13 Socket land lay-out
    http://download.intel.com/design/pro...nex/320837.pdf

Let me know if you think I am right on the pin # and or post some other pics. Even if it is 6 Down it does not apply to memory (L38) but I guess this does not always mean it wont affect memory though.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-09-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Nah, I'm not a staff member here - it's just my own personal VPS. :)

I'll take some more photos but 9 across, 5 down looks right to me. (9 across from the top row - which is shorter). It looks a little bent but I don't have the proper magnyfying tools to really get in there and see. Light's definitely reflecting off the top of it different to the ones around it anyway. Is being ground a good thing or bad?

Ahh ok! Made me look twice so wasn't sure.

Ya, I thought the same, only a little bent out of place. With it right there in the middle it will be much tougher to work with, so if you even try be very careful!

Well some of the pins do not matter and can be broke or missing even and the board will still work fine. I actually have a UD5 with a missing Vss pin and it works fine, and had previously a UD4P with a different missing Vss pin that caused a non boot, so it all depends.

Generally though these would not affect memory, but they might not all be that way and it is generally the ones on the edges people bend so it's hard to say if this one would affect memory or not. Deja Vu !

It could also be shorting into the one/ones next to it (M39 or 40) when the socket is clamped down, I'll check it now and see what it is.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-09-2010 at 03:19 PM.

M39 and 40 are both memory related, so this could be the problem after all possibly?

Page 40 - 320834.pdf

Uploaded 4 more photos. Couple didn't come out very well. Index of /tweaktown/

Edit: another 4 but they're not coming out well.

--

Another thing I don't understand is how a pin that far in could be damaged... as you mentioned it'd should be a pin on the edge that's damaged if it was my fault when putting the CPU on the socket? Surely if I were to damage that pin then I would've damaged others along the way in to it?
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-09-2010 at 03:50 PM.

Thanks much better!

I can now see it is L40 9th across and 4th down, which may also short into M40 or M41 when the socket is closed.

All three of those are Memory related sadly, so this is very likely the problem.

I can't tell though if it has the tip broken off, or is just bent over on itself and to the side. You will be able to tell with a magnifying glass if the tip is missing or bent on itself. If it is missing you might have a problem even if you correct the alignment, if it is bent over on itself it may be ok to leave once aligned. I do not advise trying to bend it back if it is bent over on itself, it will likely just snap the tip off if you do that. Bending it into place will be ok if done gently, but it will be very difficult due to the placement of the offending pin.

Not sure what to advise there, I personally probably wouldn't try to bend it back because you run a high risk of bending other pins next to it. It can be done though, I would use a mechanical pencil with a metal shaft, put the pin into the shaft and gently nudge it back into place, that is if you even feel like attempting this. There is people who can fix this for you at forums too, so if you don't mind shipping it out and would trust them I could show you someone's profile that I know could do it for you.

If you call and they deny a RMA for you and you would then have to buy a new board, then by all means try to bend it back or leave it and use the board as is.

For now though I confidently think this is the cause of your memory issues, since all these pins are memory related

Good to know anyway. Hrm... I was just reading that Gigabyte have support offices right here in Melbourne which is a suburb over from where I got the parts from. They don't deal with end users though, unless you know a way?

Perhaps I can call the shop I bought it from and just straight out say that I want to RMA the board? Explain that one of the CPU pins is damaged but the cause of it is unknown since I [personally] find it hard to believe that I could've damaged a sole pin that far in without anything else nearby being touched.

Let me send a PM to someone here about those offices, I'll let you know what they say or maybe have them come reply.

They can come from the factory with bent/missing pins, I have received one directly from Taiwan with a messed up pin, saw it as soon as I opened the cover so it isn't always user damage.
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 04-09-2010 at 04:24 PM.

Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information