Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Cool, good luck and I hope all goes smoothly
    So, the good news first - system boots fine, right to where I left it.

The bad news - on the first boot channels B & C weren't recognised and I had 2gb in Windows. I powered down for 1 minute with the power out, booted up and looked good. One thing I'm trying now is the F1 bios just on the off chance that the recent changes are contributing. Sitting in Windows now with 6gb and stock settings (w/ optimised default) so we'll see how this goes. I guess if problems continue a "fml" is in order and then proceed to look at the memory? :\

Edit: And the display driver is still crashing when it tries to decode h264 or go through the HD video decoding part of the WEI test. I did find another post of someone else with the same issue but that only brings the total up to 2 w/ no solutions. Seems like a software thing, I guess, though the 10.4 preview drivers didn't change anything.

Edit2: First cold boot this morning and only had 2gb ram usable. All 6gb found after first restart. I see there's another thread thread up now - there's gotta be more to this?
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-23-2010 at 05:59 AM.

Ouch!!

Sorry to hear about the Ram issue again! It very well could be your choice of memory, or the kit semi-faulty itself, or the CPU.

Just added another user to my short list of this being caused by the CPU IMC itself:
    GA-X58A-UD7 dead RAM slot? - Page 4 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Anyway you can borrow a triple channel kit that is different than yours, so you could test if it's possibly the memory itself before deciding to RMA the ram or CPU?

Want me to have a look at your settings again now, or do you think you know enough about them that this should not be the problem?

As for your GFX, very well could just be the drivers? Did you try a few older versions as well, to see if it's maybe the newer ones causing issues?

Ouch!!

Sorry to hear about the Ram issue again! It very well could be your choice of memory, or the kit semi-faulty itself, or the CPU.

Just added another user to my short list of this being caused by the CPU IMC itself:
    GA-X58A-UD7 dead RAM slot? - Page 4 - Overclock.net - Overclocking.net

Anyway you can borrow a triple channel kit that is different than yours, so you could test if it's possibly the memory itself before deciding to RMA the ram or CPU?

Want me to have a look at your settings again now, or do you think you know enough about them that this should not be the problem?

As for your GFX, very well could just be the drivers? Did you try a few older versions as well, to see if it's maybe the newer ones causing issues?
    I'm hoping it's not the CPU because then I'd need to pull it all up again and I'm out of my thermal paste, hah. What's the Intel RMA process like? Should I just call the place I bought it from and tell them it was DOA if we go down that path?

I don't have any other memory kits and I don't think anyone else I know has a 1366 so I wouldn't be able to borrow. Should I try test the modules again one by one in various channels to see how the computer responds and detects them?

I hear it is fast and easy, and you should call it in instead of Email/chat because it is much easier and faster. They will take you through the whole troubleshooting issue ordeal and at first say the CPU is not to blame, of course.

Well yes, a 1 by 1 test of each stick would be a good idea, but it may not give you any results though. It may just be the kit as a whole is faulty when used together, but fine one by one, I have seen this. But ya, go ahead and test each stick one by one, testing stick on in slot 1, then 3, then 5, and then onto stick 2, and so on.

You should be able to boot with any single stick, in any of the white slots. If you cannot boot with one certain stick in a slot, but both of the others are fine, that is the problem stick.

Hey, just thought of your HD issue when reading this threads replies today. They are all also having issues with HD and 5870 Gigabytes, check out the whole discussion for sure, the posted some BIOSes and file edits to try, and at the end one user also mentions disabling something fixes it?
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gv-r...2/index10.html

I suggest also trying out the version 9 drivers, like 9.12 and see if that helps

Interesting. I'll try the RAM on the off chance anyway but then I'll call Intel and run through their steps. I'll leave it for tomorrow.

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with this setup, I feel for you man!

Let us know how your memory testing goes.

Sorry to hear you are having such a hard time with this setup, I feel for you man!

Let us know how your memory testing goes.
    It sucks but least I have good help. :D I'm a software person so unfortunately there's no format option for hardware, lol. At least I can get work/gaming done intermittently; I'll update tomorrow sometime.

At least you are still in good spirits too, that always helps!

Good luck with the testing. If you do speak with Intel be sure you do not mention overclocking/overvoltages, everything within spec

Okay, so I ran some tests with the memory and different channels. I upgraded back to the F5 bios (latest stable) and all of these were done at stock, optimised default settings.

So we've got some interesting, possibly meaningless results - I'll let you mull over them to decide. :)

The things that stand out to me:
    • They all didn't boot in their first cold boot in channel 1, but after holding the power button and switching it straight back on they did
    • Subsequent cold boots in different channels (I went 1 -> 3 -> 5) did work. This is very strange, and the only thing different that I can think of it is that the memory sticks are physically warm from the first boot still
    • Following the tests, I put all the RAM back in (1-B, 3-A, 5-C, in that order) and all 6gb was recognised on the first boot

(dashed lines means I didn't test that case)
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-25-2010 at 11:29 AM.

Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information