Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Default X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

Hi all,

I'm posting here as a last resort after spending 6 hours yesterday and probably 20+ over the past 4 days or so reading every damn thing on the net I could find related to my problem and trying every possible fix there is.

Problem:

When I change my memory multiplier such that my memory runs at 1600MHz (it's rated spec), some of the memory "dissapears" and isn't available to the OS. In Windows 7 64-bit, it shows up as either 6GB Memory (4GB usable) or 6GB Memory (2GB usable) while in the BIOS the channel entries show up with a "-" beside them. I've seen it happen on channels A and C but I'm pretty sure the channels it happens is random.

This happens at both stock speeds and OC'd BCLK.

(someone else's pic of the bios)

Specs:
    Code:
    CPU: i7 Core 920 (D0)
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
    RAM: G.Skill F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ (3x2GB) DDR3
    GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD5870 Ultra Durable 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic X-Series 750W Power Supply
    CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev. B w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan 1850rpm
    Things I've Tried:
    • Reseating the CPU (and cleaning/redoing Arctic Silver 5)

There was probably a bit too much thermal compound the first time. I cleaned up some of the excess around the edges as I know it's slightly conductive and could be causing issues.

• Checking for bent pins

One of the pins near the top left looked "different" under a magnifying glass to the other around it but I'm not confident going in there with a pin poking around. It doesn't look broken, or snapped off, just different is the only way I can describe it. Either way, reseating the CPU as above didn't resolve the problem.

• Reseating the RAM modules
    • Using the XMP timings spec on the memory itself
    • Varying VCore between 1.5-1.6V
    • Increasing QPI/VTT V upto 1.3V
    • Increasing IOH and ICH core voltages

I've tried so many different configurations I literally had to goto bed at like 9pm last night because I was getting a migraine. I've virtually given up on this front and I'm inclined to think it's a hardware issue.

• Contacted the store I bought the parts from

The support guy there thought that it might be because the memory isn't on the QVL list. Now, I know this list is rather small so Gigabyte can't really expect EVERYONE to buy a ram kit on that list. Anyway, this eventually lead me to the XMP settings which set the timings as per the memory spec so I don't think it matters.

So what now...

Well, when the memory is running below 1600MHz the computer for the most part works great. (I have a BSOD issue when trying to playing GPU-accelerated video but I'm trying to fix one problem at a time [and I'll probably make another thread for that soon]).

I guess there's a possibility that that "different" pin is actually a cause of the problem in which cause I'd be sending the mobo back, the ram modules could be faulty, or I'm still not setting the voltages correctly.

I'm almost at my wits end here and I'm really hoping it's something simple but I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

Thankyou!
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-07-2010 at 09:08 AM.

Default Re: X58A-UD3R: Missing Memory only at 1600MHz

have you tried without xmp? and going abit higher than 1.3 qpi? maybe 1.32 1.34v? tried loosening your cpu heatsink screws? maybe a quarter of a turn on each screw? also did you give the cpu socket a good blow? i had a human hair in my socket which cant be good
    Last edited by warren300; 04-07-2010 at 09:10 AM.
    Gigabyte ex58-ud5 f12 bios
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Thermolab Baram cpu cooler
    Dual Boot
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-win7 ultimate 64
    1xsamsung 750gb hard drive-windows xp pro 32
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case
    http://i40.tinypic.com/2z3w377.jpg <=3.8ghz overclock template

Quote Originally Posted by warren300 View Post
    have you tried without xmp? and going abit higher than 1.3 qpi? maybe 1.32 1.34v? tried loosening your cpu heatsink screws? maybe a quarter of a turn on each screw? also did you give the cpu socket a good blow? i had a human hair in my socket which cant be good
    I only discovered the XMP settings late yesterday so my attempts prior to that were with the default settings on the mobo.

I've tried QPI at 1.3V but I haven't gone any higher than that.

The heatsink comes with these spring screws so I have them in all the way - I'll try loosening them a little. I'm also pretty certain there wasn't anything like a hair on the socket as I went over it very thoroughly with the magnifying glass before I sat it back in.

your safe to go upto 1.4 qpi,you wont need that much voltage for 1600mhz though,i would go as high as 1.350000 and see if it sees all the modules,also set your ram timings manually and disable xmp,if you ever get the chance to re seat the cpu do it as this can fix memory detection simply by re seating cpu and reclosing the clamp on the socket,also try enabling llc and see if you get any results
    Intel i7 920 d0 @3.8ghz 24/7-normal cpu voltage 1.18750v/c1e/turbo/multi threading enabled
    Ocz reaper DDR3 PC3-14400 (1800MHz) 3x2gb (OCZ3RPR1800LV6GK) 8-8-8-24-1t-@1.64v-1.3qpi
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

I have to head out for a bit but when I get back I'll try loosening the heatsink screws a tad, disabling XMP, setting the memory timing as per the XMP settings (which as the same as the online spec) and then raising the QPI voltage further.

I have tried reseating the CPU once so I'm not sure if doing it another time would help.

Also, what is LLC? I can't find any reference to it.

sorry llc is load line calibration,try it on its lowest setting i think theres a few stages you can select,it stops your voltage from dropping if under load or overclocked it might stop you losing a ram module
    Dual Boot
    Ati x1950 pro gpu
    1050w psu
    Nzxt lexa case

SAME PROBLEM HERE. YOU'LL SEE MY POSTS/THREADS. still have not figured it out.
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Help!
    i7 930 @ 4.2 ghz (200x21) 1.34 vcore 1.33 qpi
    Noctua U12P se1366 Push Pull w/scythe slipstreams
    6GBOCZ1333 @ 1600 - 9 9 9 24 1.64v
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R f11
    Corsair tx750 PSU
    EVGA GTX260 SC
    Intel SSD80GBG2C1 OS/Apps
    WD Caviar Black 500gb Data
    ASUS Xonar DX
    Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    CM690 Case 3 in 3 out
    Windows 7 64bit

Okay, I tried booting up the following settings (photo time):

BIOS: CPU | RAM Timings | Voltages
    Info: HardwareMonitor | CPU-Z

RESULT: System booted with all ram recognised but had errors during Prime95 test (that normally don't happen)

----

The values I used for the memory timings are the same ones that were shown on the left while the XMP profile was on (so I'm assuming those are the 'correct' values). Also, as you can see in one of the BIOS pics, there's 3 options for LLC - Standard, Level 1 and Level 2 whose descriptions aren't very.. descriptive.

I also tried loosening the CPU heatsink slightly but resulted in no change.

@dbee: I'm having a look at your thread now.

I'll just briefly add that the option in msconfig is not checked.

----

Edit: Okay, I'm looking through some of the possible causes in this thread .

I think I've ruled out (8) after loosening the heatsink a little.
    Number (9) is a curious one but I definitely put the small o-washers on the top-side of the motherboard before screwing the top parts in.

Point (2) is something interesting. I'm hesitant to push VCore above 1.6V since according to the spec on the website it should be able to handle it at 1.5V? :s
    Last edited by kalidav; 04-07-2010 at 01:11 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by kalidav View Post

• Checking for bent pins

One of the pins near the top left looked "different" under a magnifying glass to the other around it but I'm not confident going in there with a pin poking around. It doesn't look broken, or snapped off, just different is the only way I can describe it. Either way, reseating the CPU as above didn't resolve the problem.

I guess there's a possibility that that "different" pin is actually a cause of the problem in which cause I'd be sending the mobo back, the ram modules could be faulty, or I'm still not setting the voltages correctly.

This is almost always the cause, aside from settings. Since you already noticed a bent pin, can you please post several high resolution images so I can look at this, please make them as clear as you can.

One pin can cause this, and if you have one you may have others. You may or may not be able to fix it, but I'd like to see it before I advise you on that.

It very well could just be settings, and this pin could not have an affect on anything (Some do not matter), but I need to see the pins first so I can look up which it is for you and then be sure you also do not have others bent or missing as well. Then we can try settings before you decide to go forward, normally with bent pins RMA is not possible either so be ready for that.

QPI/Vtt may need to be 1.35-1.4+, 1.3 may not be enough so don't settle for that, and memory voltage should be set to 1.66. I will get further into settings to try once we check your pins though, so please do take some images of the socket. I know it is time consuming to get in there, but you should not instead of trying hours/days of other testing and settings if it ends up to be for nothing due to bent pins.

Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information