Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EG31M-S2 board won't start windows with E8400

Default EG31M-S2 board won't start windows with E8400

Hello there,

I just purchase a E8400, it came here today but I am having bad problems.

I replaced the chip from the follow setup.

GA-EG31M-S2(rev1.0)
    P4 530J
    OCZ vendetta 2
    2GB value ram @533mhz @1.8V
    ATI 4350
    650W PSU
    Win 7 pro 32bit

Opps should of mention this machine's bio setting are always set at optimized defaults

With the above set up I usually play 1080p movies and surf the web.

But upon installing the E8400 into this system I am having problem booting into windows, 2 out of 5 attempts it fails and hangs at the welcome loading screen and or stuck with a black screen.
    Of the 3 times that does get me into windows the system will hang/freeze within 1 minute. Even leaving it for 20 minutes it stays in freeze mode.

I also tried putting in the win 7 disc and try to repair windows but after loading the disc the machine freezes at the blue/aqua window 7 screen

I also tried installing ubuntu 9.1 but it hangs after load the disc and gets stuck with the grey ubuntu icon.

I then swap the P4 530J and ubuntu installed correctly and got window 7 reinstalled

Motherboard settings are at default settings with F3 bios.

All helps and suggestions appreciated.

And I just got the board back from RMA 2 months ago. Last time the problem was it been unable to post with even a single increase MHZ of FSB.

And below are the extra volts I tried.
    In the mean time I am still trying to find a solution, and below are the steps I took:

-Raised CPU volts to 1.35V
    -Ram +0.1V (1.9Volts)
    -FSB voltage +.01, then +.02
    -Rams rated @ 3-3-3-11 533mhz to 5-5-5-18 533mhz

OMFG.

I think I found out the culprit.

I seem to be able to load window with a FSB of 300MHZ x9 =2.7ghz with board settings set to fail-safe defaults

God damn I knew this board had a FSB problem and I overlooked it

Right now Its running Prime95 and its been stable at 2.7ghz for the last 2 hours.

OMG, gonna need to do another RMA
    Last edited by 5ilvgearx; 04-08-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EG31M-S2 board won't start windows with E8400

So it is the overclock again? Did you load optimized defaults after you put in the new CPU? If not please do that and try again because you should always do this when changing hardware or updating the BIOS.

I was about to comment that you may need to repair install windows or try safe mode, wasn't sure if changing from P4 to core 2 duo was causing a windows issue due to the HAL layer in regards to the CPU's. So it isn't anything like that right? You can load windows, just with poor BIOS settings?

Are you also testing adding memory voltage? Sometimes the default or 1.8 can be less than that, so you may want to try +0.1-0.2 just to see if this helps.

Sounds like you may need to RMA again if it is faulty, and maybe this time sell the board that comes back to you and buy a more suited board for your processor such as a P35 or P45 if you can.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Can you post a screen capture of MemSet main(click >>) and SPD(click spd) windows?
    DDR-533 is not at all possible with FSB over 266MHz so it might just be your value ram and not the board.

Opps, should of mention that the machine's bio setting are always set at optimized defaults,

I should of mention this too, after the RMA the board came loaded with the latest stable bios and still the newest + stable as of April 7,2010 (flashed by gigabyte techs)

I do not believe its a bad bios, it always freeze upon windows load screen and or after loading the boot CD. If the cpu was defective I won't of be able to even boot into windows

I cam to the conclusion that its the FSB With the E8400 in place it always fails to load/stay in windows and or hangs after loading the boot disc, it at the follow multiplier E8400@ 333x9, 333x8, 333x7, 333x6. But with FSB manually set at 200mhz or 300mhz(optimized settings for all other settings) it boots and passes prime95 Small TFT for an hour.

As for those Value Rams they were stable and passed 1 test of memtest (45 minutes) with optimized settings. The value rams were tested and ran on a 790X-UD4P @ 667mhz 5-5-5-15 @1.8V before it was used on the G31. If it was indeed ram errors I probably won't be able to post and would of gotten a error beep codes from the board.

I got spare parts for most of the stuff except for an extra lga 775 board

For another RMA it seems like I need to contact tech support and get there approval, any idea how I can do so?

I would love to get a P35 or P45, it be a great match up for the E8400 + 4770, but i prefer not to have another mid tower on my desk.

You can contact support here
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Technical Service Zone

Not sure where you are so I can't give you a RMA page if there is one. If you are in the US, Google Gigabyte RMA and it will be the first result

It very well just could be this model of board does not work well with your CPU, so maybe RMA would be a waste of time and $$? Maybe buy a cheap CPU for this board and overclock it, like 5200 or 7400?

Reggie is offline Junior Member

DDR2 533MHz RAM is fine with Celeron D, Pentium 4. For the E8400, the recommended RAM is DDR2 800 or DDR2 667 MHz SDRAM DIMMs.

1.8 Volt
    DDR2 667 DIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

DDR2 800 DIMMs with SPD timings of only 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 (tCL-tRCD-tRP)

Similar Intel 31G motherboard recommendations from Kingston:
    Gigabyte GA-EG31MF-S2 Motherboard
    <TABLE id=Table2 border=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD height=5 colSpan=8>

</TD></TR><TR><TD bgColor=#9f9f9f height=1 colSpan=8>

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=5 colSpan=8>

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=35 colSpan=8>Memory upgrades:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR667D2N5/512</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>512MB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR667D2N5/1G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR667D2N5/2G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR667D2N5K2/1G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>1GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR667D2N5K2/2G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>2GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR667D2N5K2/4G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>4GB 667MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL5 DIMM (Kit of 2) </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR800D2N6/1G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>1GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR800D2N6/2G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR800D2N6K2/2G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM (Kit of 2) </TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=center noWrap align=right>Get Price </TD></TR><TR><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top width="20%">KVR800D2N6K2/4G</TD><TD class=td_cell_text vAlign=top>4GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM (Kit of 2) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Ahh thanks Reggie!

You are right, sometimes 533Mhz memory causes issues no matter the CPU, this would be something I would try checking before sending anything else out again for RMA.

Thread Information