Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Real Newbee Question on a GA-X58A-UD7 that won't boot! Help!?

Ahh yes, sounds like Ubuntu has messed with your boot manager!

Now, to save you from worrying so much. Your data is fine on this disk, meaning your bookmarks, documents, images, ect are all still there and you should be able to access them just fine once you install another windows.

I would go ahead and setup a clean install on your other disk, then install this problem disk as a secondary after you get the new install setup and going. Then find and copy over all the stuff you need to this windows or a secondary partition on this other drive.

Then format the problem disk and install windows again on it, then put in your other disk with the backup stuff and move it all back over to your new windows

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Ahh yes, sounds like Ubuntu has messed with your boot manager!

Now, to save you from worrying so much. Your data is fine on this disk, meaning your bookmarks, documents, images, ect are all still there and you should be able to access them just fine once you install another windows.

I would go ahead and setup a clean install on your other disk, then install this problem disk as a secondary after you get the new install setup and going. Then find and copy over all the stuff you need to this windows or a secondary partition on this other drive.

Then format the problem disk and install windows again on it, then put in your other disk with the backup stuff and move it all back over to your new windows
    I found a program that could build a 'usual' MBR on that disk and then I was able to do a repair install...but it was a false victory. I have the XP Pro on the disk, with the added drivers, but all programs and settings were lost and would have to rebuild again...... I still do not understand how the MBR got 'strange' and now find my new [other] disk I'm building up while it still boots, gives a MBR error 3 message at boot.....I have NOT added any new partitions nor operating systems....very weird.And depressing.

NB = while one one program tells me the SATA III disks are operating in the swap bay at SATA II, another [cystaldisk] tells me they are SATA III...but I dont know if that means it can tell they are SATA III drives or operating AT SATA III speeds and mode.
    Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 v.1 [F9d Bios] with i7-990X
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Sapphire HD 5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5
    Corsair XMS-3 24GB 2000 CL 9-9-9-24
    Noctua NH D-14
    6 TB SATA II storage; 12 TB SATA III AF
    3 24" LCD screens w/Eyefinity, 9 Multi-Desktops

Nice to hear you got things going, I thought about suggesting one of those to you but wasn't sure if it would help or hurt things.

All settings and programs lost? Sounds like you did a clean install instead of repair when we started this, otherwise your programs, ect should all be there still.

Sorry to hear all this has happened, from now on you need to start making weekly backups using Acronis True Image, or Drive Snapshot or similar so you will always have a backup just in case.

Ubuntu does funky things with the bootloader, so that was expected as soon as you mentioned it to me

As for your drive SATA concerns, bench the drive on those ports and then on SATAII ports and you should easily be able to tell what speed it is running, at least I would think so but maybe not?

The latest Crystaldiskinfo shows correct transfer mode for SATA 6GB/s, do you have the latest?
    CrystalDiskInfo3_6_0.zipをダウン*ード - CrystalDiskInfo - SourceForge.JP

I see Transfer mode SATA/600 on SATA6GB/s devices and Standard ATA8 version 6

For SATA 3GB/s devices I see Transfer mode SATA/300 and Standard ATA8 version 4

So it looks to me like that shows proper running speeds, I will reboot here sometime tonight and plug a SATA 6GB/s drive into a SATA 3GB/s port and see if it is reported as SATA 3Gb/s or not, then we will know for sure.

New question. The Motherboard seems to only report fan speeds on fan connector #1. There are four others. Is there some reason, or way to turn them on. I've tried a few programs and all show the others as zero [although fans are attached and spinning] or show nothing. Number one is most important, as I have the CPU fan on it, but I'd like to know the others and have the system control them according to the temperature. Thanks.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

What are you using to read fan speeds? All headers output sensor RPM info, except NB Fan.

I use the latest Everest Ultimate and it shows the info properly, as does the latest HWmonitor I believe

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What are you using to read fan speeds? All headers output sensor RPM info, except NB Fan.

I use the latest Everest Ultimate and it shows the info properly, as does the latest HWmonitor I believe
    Among others I use Everest 5.50.2109 Beta and it doesn't show most of the fans at all....they are not there to select nor to see. Only #1 fan on the board and a few others not on the board [GPU and PSU]. NO others at all.
    Last edited by crazybear; 07-16-2010 at 05:01 AM.
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

They all work on my UD7, are you sure your fans have RPM wire on them?

See here is all of mine

I only have three fans connected to the board though (CPU, Sys_fan1, & PWR_Fan) all controlled via FC-3 controller with just RPM wires routed to the board headers, and all showing RPM readouts with Everest.

Not to point out the obvious, but in order for the fans to be read they need to be connected to the MB, or sensor reading hardware. Connecting them directly to the power supply won't get you readings.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
    6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
    ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
    Antec Signature SG-850 PS
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

I have fans on all the fan headers, but only the same ones as shown in the above capture show on Everest or any other such program. I just downloaded the latest Everest version and the situation didn't change. Could the board not be sensing the fans or reporting about them. It is powering them - they are spinning!
    Lian Li PC-B-25F Case
    Be Quiet BQT P7-Pro 750W
    Noctua NH D-14

OK, I got it figured out, I think. Looking at my X58A-UD5 manual, page 28.... the board has 5 fan headers.... however if you look closely, 4 of those headers...CPU_FAN, SYS_FAN2, SYS_FAN1/PWR_FAN, & SYS_FAN3 have sensor pins (pin#3). The only fan header without a sensor pin is the NB_Fan (Northbridge Fan Header). If you have a fan connected to the NB_FAN, you will not get a reading. ALL other fans should show readings.

With that said... I only have 3 fans connected to the board and all 3 of mine show just like Lsdmeasap ...

CPU FAN... (CPU) - CPU Cooler Fan
    SYS_FAN2... (Chassis #1) - Side door fan
    PWR_FAN... (Power Supply) - Front case fan

Also, If you have a "Power Supply" fan reading in Everest, that's not your power supply's fan, but a fan you have connected to the "PWR_FAN" header.

Hope this helps.
    - My System Specs -
    GA-X58A-UD5 MB (F6 bios)
    Core i7-950 @ 3.8GHz Processor
    Noctua NH-C12P SE14 CPU Cooler
    6 gig Corsair Dominator - TR3X6G1600C8D
    ATI Radeon HD6950 2Gig Video Card
    Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro Souncard
    Antec Signature SG-850 PS
    Cooler Master HAF X
    Win7 Ult x64

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast